PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts again.

benherron
02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Anyone using normal 3 point reel seatbelts? If you do can I have a few pics of where it's mounted and an explanation of how its mounted pls?

Obviously the buckle bit will attach to the original beetle mounting point. But where would the belt attach and how? The bottom one could attach to the floor no problem but the reel?

Would I use something like these two mounts on the inside of the fibreglass? would it be strong enough and would the mot fail it?
I've had a look and the corner area is the thickest part of the whole body. Without installing a roll cage behind the firewall I cant attach the reel to metal.

http://i2.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/27/05/7c64_12.JPG
http://www.ronstruckandauto.com/rhino/images/Seat_belt_mounts-386x269.jpg

Alzax3
03-01-2010, 08:59 AM
The MOT tester has no ability to 'test' a mounting point. (the only way to really do this is with strain measuring equipment, and doing it to the point of failure - fine for a manufacturer, not much use to an individual!) What you have to do is mount it in such a way that he/she is satisfied that it will be safe. As you've found, there is a meaty area of fibre glass in the cockpit rear corner, well placed for the top mount. The type of nut/plate you picture will be good, but for 'belt and braces' security, (that the tester won't be able to argue about) fit up a piece of steel or stainless plate around 3 or 4mm x 150mm square (you may have to form a curve in it to conform to the plastic) for the mount bolt to pass through first. With that, you should theoretically be able to lift the car up by it, and the threads may well fail before the plate pulls through.

As you've also said, the floorpan should give a good connection for the bottom mount, and in most cases you should be able to connect the inertia unit to the same point, or very near it.

Peter
03-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I have a three point harness system but the top mount is an inertial reel on the rear window shelf behind the headrests with a steel plate underneath it.
I am considering using the same reels but set in the centre of the rear shelf and a standard three point belt as the harness is a pain to get into each time, looks good though but thatís about all.
With the buckle on the outside level with the seat base, bolted to the chassis to body mounting bolt as now, there is a mounting point on the tunnel for rear passenger belts for the bottom inner mount.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/a016b749.jpg

vpogv
05-01-2010, 02:18 PM
The bigger the piece of steel you can glass in for the mounting points the better. Small 2x2 square will rip out a lot quicker than a longer 2x12 strip or 6x6 square.

letterman7
05-01-2010, 02:45 PM
What I wound up doing was using the stock Beetle tunnel mount for the buckle release side. The reel was mounted flat behind the seat on the pan (bought reels specifically for horizontal mounts), and backed those with wide, thick fender washers. I figured between the pan and the washer, the car will buckle in half before they rip out. The over-the-shoulder strap mount I put right where Alex said - in the corner above the seat on the body. I backed that bolt with a 4" square piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, and had no reservations about it's inherent "non-tear-outedness". When I showed that to my mechanic buddy, he simply shook his head and said something to the effect of "that ain't goin' anywhere"!

benherron
05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Again, thanks everyone, I think I will end up using the small FIA approved 2x2 square/bolt behind a larger 4x4 or 6x6 plate that I'll glass in....just to make sure. :)

Alzax3
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Good move, though if you're going to glass it in: make sure it's not mild steel as it will eventually rust and blow the lamination, and remember that the tester won't be able to see that it's a gurt great bit of nice-and-safe metal reinforcement so easily if you hide it!

Peter
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
The only reason I was thinking of putting the release buckle on the outside was that as you get out you are moving away from the belt leaving it draped over the centre consul rather than towards it and with the buckle on the outside there is more room between the seat and the door than the seat and the tunnel. Maybe better leave it as it is, my head hurts, damm flu :giveup: