PDA

View Full Version : MOT/Inspection without windscreen

benherron
04-01-2010, 11:02 PM
A little ahead planning.....

Before I can get my car on the road it needs to be mot'd and then correctly registered at the DVLA inspection. Once on the road I want to take it off the road to get the body sprayed.
Can I drive it to the MOT, inspection and spray garage without a windscreen, so i dont have to bond it in and possibly remove it again (the first time was nerve wrecking enough!!) before it gets sprayed?

Obviously I'll be wearing a motorcycle helmet, but I also know much of the body strength (30%) comes from the windscreen. Would it be legal or safe (although I'm guessing a maybe not)?
Cheers Ben

(p.s. reason for not spraying before mot/inspection is if it fails either I dont want to have already blown all my money on a spray job)
(p.p.s I'm thinking trailering may solve the issues, but that would cost 3 lots of trailer hire at 50 a pop, money I'd rather avoid and add to the spray job savings if I can just drive it)

bushboy
05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Ben,
30% of body strength may come from the windscreen but not in a Nova. THe screen carrier, ie the roof, is not rigidly attached to the body. As far as I am aware you do not need a windscreen for an MOT. A MOT can only inspect what is present. So if you have not got a windscreen then it can not fail for being cracked etc, they cant test your wipers or washers as there is nothing to wash/wipe. Absence of a windscreen is not an MOT failure, nor I believe is a missing door, side screen etc.

Best of luck with your MOT

bushboy

Big Birds Car
05-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Why bother with the roof for the mot or inspection anyway. Remove it in it's entirety and you don't have to have the wiper mechanism in tact, take it with the canopy on and no screen you will still have a wiper attached and washers and they may say they can't test it correctly for sweep etc. Driving without a screen is fine and you don't need a crash hat either. My Jester went through the SVA test without a roof or screen.

Alzax3
05-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Yup, I was going to say that! Without the canopy you've basically got a low-slung beach buggy, you just might want to add some temporary wing mirrors.....

JemP
05-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I plan to take my Avante for MOT without a windscreen for the very same reasons. There will be no glass in my Avante when it turns up at the MOT place, which is about 200 yards from my lock up, so not far to drive.
With a Nova, I'd just take the whole roof assembly off, make sure there are no protruding items like bits of hinge etc. and present it as an open top
Dont worry about the passenger seat either, dont need that

JemP
05-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Yup, I was going to say that! Without the canopy you've basically got a low-slung beach buggy, you just might want to add some temporary wing mirrors.....

Just needs the drivers side methinks? Although for safety sake you'd probably want 2. You'll get some looks driving it, I did when I drove my Spartan to the MOT place with no screen

Big Birds Car
05-01-2010, 05:14 PM
you just might want to add some temporary wing mirrors.....

Good call forgot about those.

Just needs the drivers side methinks?
Not 100% but going by the SVA you need two mirrors, either two external mirrors (one on each side) or the drivers external mirror and an internal one, unless the car is seriously old then you only need an interior rear view mirror.

JemP
05-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Sorry of course, with no canopy, there will be no interior mirror! So yes you'd need drivers door, and one other mirror!
On the Avante the rear view mirror is attached to the panel above the windscreen. I have this very boring guy keep pestering me whilst I'm working at the lock up, but he IS an MOT tester, so when he says "Oooooh , you don't need that for the MOT you know!" its actually quite useful advice!!

benherron
05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Sweet, thanks everyone, that makes it a whole lot easier if i can do everything without windscreen.

jimcub
05-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Are suction or stick on ones allowed, as then no holes have to be drilled.

suicidesam
05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
but surely if no screen is needed for an mot ? then the people with cracked screens could take them out for the mot and then put em back after ? or even (god forbid :nonono: ) claim for a new screen on their policy when its insured with screen cover added ?? :bananasplit: free screens for all ? :bananasplit: ..........or am i missing something ? not that i would encourage such behaviour :nonono: :rofl:

Alzax3
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
You probably could (important to have your cars value set high enough, or they'll write it off rather than replace the screen :scared: ) but getting a screen out isn't as simple as it sounds and may result in it disintegrating.

I guess that was a question Jim, (but your '?' has gone missing yet again....) do they make suction side mirrors? If they do and they're sold for road use then they have to pass them, (like CE marked lights) but somehow I think I'd rather drill the holes (or possibly bond with epoxy) and not worry about them dropping off - I'm sure if the tester nudged one and it detatched it would be a fail!

Spacenut
06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
If the canopy is removed completely then temporary mirrors could be fixed to the hinge brackets...

JemP
06-01-2010, 06:55 PM
but surely if no screen is needed for an mot ? then the people with cracked screens could take them out for the mot and then put em back after ? or even (god forbid :nonono: ) claim for a new screen on their policy when its insured with screen cover added ?? :bananasplit: free screens for all ? :bananasplit: ..........or am i missing something ? not that i would encourage such behaviour :nonono: :rofl:

But isnt that the point of screen cover anyway? If your screen is cracked, then make a claim. I've done it on 3 cars so far. Unless you're suggesting summat different

Alzax3
06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
The idea from the insurers point of view is you claim if your screen gets cracked not that you take out the insurance on a car with an already cracked screen in order to get it replaced..... otherwise you'd be taking out insurance after you'd had a crash not before.... :whistling:

benherron
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Spoke to Si at Chelmsford gsf today, he's hopefully is going to MOT the car.
He was unsure about the windscreen so rang around a few of the places that MOT the buggys around here.

Final word from them was...........as long as there are no windscreen wipers or washer bottle attached/fitted, they would have no issues with it being on the road/mot'd without a windscreen.

:clapping: So thats what I'm gonna do.
I may check with the DVLA office when I get round to booking the inspection but it's not the windscreen their inspecting so should be bothered bout it.