PDA

View Full Version : Engine probs

mattswan2512
15-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi all I have a bit of a problem with my engine wiring (I beleive) sometimes when I go to start her up I turn the ignition on I get lights etc and I can hear the bugpack ticking! Then I turn the key to start the engine and nothing at all!. It doesn't even turn over. This can happen after the engine has turned over and started but due to no electrical choke she dies I then turn the key and oh nothing. Any ideas

oh after a good run no probs at all she fires up but if I leave her even for a day or two this prob occurs. Also should the bugpak be ticking!

Spacenut
15-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Bugpak? Isn't that an exhaust system?

If its making a ticking sound and the engine won't turn over maybe its a short circuit through the exhaust system? Do the dash lights dim significantly while this inactivity is happening? That would be a sure sign of a heavy drain on the battery.

Lauren

PS - sorry if I didn't understand what you meant - I'm not as "down with it" as I used to be :D

mattswan2512
15-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi sorry should of put it's a 1600 type 1 with electronic ignition. Sorry

jimcub
15-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Intermitant faults are always the hardest to track down, but as Lauren said should there be a ticking.
If it did not tick before then thats a start for the fault, but it could be a simple earth fault.

mattswan2512
15-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Do you think it could be the starter motor solenoid sticking?

Alzax3
15-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Could be...... They will do that sometimes and they're really badly placed for the usual 'cure' of a swift sharp rap with a spanner. They're also not easy to get at to check with a live wire but that's a useful way of isolating a problem between key and solenoid. My car would do this on occasion until I found a slightly dodgy connection behind the ignition switch - swift fiddle back there and it was off again!

Peter
16-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Work your way back from the starter, taking the rear right wheel off (and sticking an axle stand under off course) helps.
Screwdriver across the heavy starter terminal to battery cable, does it spark and turn over every time? if yes it's not the starter, if doesn't then starter problem. If OK then short from battery lead to starter solinoid, does it click and turn over, if yes then OK if not solinoid stuffed. if OK then put test lamp or meter on the starter wire at the solinoid and turn key, are you getting power, if yes and nothing happens then it's the connection between wire and the solinoid if not then check back of ignition switch to see if it is putting out. Doing it this way saves popping all over the car chasing your tail and takes on ave' about 5 minuets.
Ticking is often a relay failing to latch because of low battery power.
Another common problem often overlooked is a bad earth on the battery to chassis and gearbox to chassis, (at the bell housing joint to rear of right chassis fork)