PDA

View Full Version : Chassis modding and points system thread on vzi

benherron
14-02-2010, 12:54 PM
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=618998

interesting read for those worrying about points systems etc. 'Ace' website seem to be trying to clarify the mess of the grey areas.

bushboy
06-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I have lifted this from the ACE website.

15/02/2010 Update - VW Beetle Floorpans

We have received a further update from DVLA that they have firmed up their rules and, contrary to previous belief that a VW Beetle's identity lay in it's backbone alone, the floorpans are, in fact, now needed to retain the 5 points.

As before , the requirement that the backbone remains unaltered still applies.

Time to be concerned.

bushboy

benherron
06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Technically my floorpan is the original, as there is no extra welding which suggests they've replacements, and it looks like the old owner used the rectangle cut out bit of the floorpan for the floor of the lowered bit, if that makes sence.

But surely if lowered floorpans aren't accepted, you could go back home and 'repair to original specification' and stick new original pans in??? Drastic but do-able.

mattswan2512
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
If lowers floorpans are not accepted then 6fters like me are stuffed. Why are the dvla being such a bunch of muppets! What is wrong with driving a car that is good enough to pass a MOT! Some cars out there are in a hell of a state, and for the ones that build there car with pride and to a high standard, well they get crapped on from a height!

DVLA should pay there attention to tax dodgers and release the choker chain on kit car builders.
DVLA if it's envy buy your own nova

bushboy
06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Ben,
unfortunately you must use the un modified chassis. Lowered floor pans would be seen as a modification, the loss of 5 valuable points, and if you can't make the 8 needed you will loose the historic designation and have to start contributing again to the duck house improvement fund of the elected officials.

My MOT is due in three weeks so I'll book it in & see what happens.

bushboy

Spacenut
06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll be doing the same, and keeping my fingers crossed!

Good luck to everyone, I think we are going to need it!

Lauren

Alzax3
06-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Well I'm just short-arsed enough to get away with stock floorpans (so long as the sunroof is open or off) but that doesn't make me feel any less vulnerable to officious desk jockeys.......I'm sure if they're going to crack down they'll catch us all somehow - my gear knob isn't original VW for a start.... :cursing:

bobbybrown
06-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I've been researching this since October and I'm sorry to say, it doesn't seem like there is any easy way out of it, they are going to catch everyone eventually and anything that can be seen as a modification is going to lose points and trigger a Q plate or an IVA test.

I'm still looking in to it, and I do have more to post, but I've just walked in from work and I feel like death :coat:

JemP
07-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Does this mean that if I'm restoring an Austin 7 and it needs a replacement chasis, that I have to go through BIVA? What about a MGB with a new Heritage shell?

JemP
07-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Following on from Andy Saunders problem with the Bentley, does this mean that any car which has an aftermarket sunroof fitted needs a BIVA as the monocoque has been modified?

bobbybrown
07-03-2010, 05:41 PM
If its viewed as a modification to the original, then as far as I understand, there is a high chance, yes.

JemP
07-03-2010, 07:06 PM
This is going to be so difficult to administer for them. I can understand why they are concerned about cars not maintaining their identity, but where restoration calls for new parts to be added, or existing parts to be repaired, then the restorers are heading for big trouble. For instance, if anyone restoring a veteran / vintage car should look to strengthen the chassis by boxing it, or adding bracing, then they are modifying the original chassis! Of course they will be alright so long as they then have enough points elsewhere. However, many old restoration have upgraded or non-original part suspension simply because the originals are no longer available. This is done not out of any reason t odefraud the DVLA, but in order to keep the vehicle on the road!
Where DVLA say Steering is a major part (and worth 2 points) what constitutes the part? The reason I ask is that I have the original VW steering box and steering arms etc. but I have a Ford steering column??

Alzax3
07-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Mine is completely stock apart from the bodyshell - the classic status was a major factor in me buying the Nova, if they remove that I doubt I shall keep it. Though it probably wouldn't be saleable once they've changed the rules.............

Spacenut
08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
The rules state that if the replacement chassis/monocoque is to the exact specification as the original (i.e. not modified in any way) then that would be classed as a repair and would not require BIVA.

Its only if modifications to the chassis, suspension, engine, transmission etc. reduce your points tally below 8 that the threat of BIVA applies.

The chassis counts for 5 points, which is the largest single contributor. The engine counts for one point, suspension (as long as both front and rear is used), 2 points and so on. Its on the direct.gov website, but you need to search for it - shades of "the plans have been available at your local interstellar planning department on Alpha Centauri for the last 1,000 of your Earth years..." :@

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... G_10014199 (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199)

What I think could be an issue (now) is DVLAs interpretation of "modified" in respect to the VW floorpan. The VZI site is up in arms because modifying the location of splitty bus steering boxes is classed as a modification. And what do you do to the VW chassis to make a Nova? You grind off the location lug on the front beam and reposition the steering box. If you build the car according to the factory instructions, you will also dimple the framehead to provide clearance for the lowered steering track rods. Another fail. Dropping floorpans (an optional modification I'll admit, but a necessary one for some of us) is not repairing or replacing to identical specification; another fail.

If a DVLA inspector looks at this with a negative slant (like they did with the Saunders Bentley), then the modified chassis loses you 5 points and 2 points for the steering mod. Out of a maximum of 14 points available, you are now down to 8 points, right on the limit. Did you change the engine for a new one? Even with the same specification (like a Remtec, Vege or similar), it is not the original donor engine. Another point gone. Ditto water-cooled Scoobies, Alfas, Pintos etc.

Clearly some of us should be/are more worried about this than others, and I still think with good reason :bye2:

Lauren

benherron
08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh just to make the situation worse, from what the dvla inspctor told me you have to be able to prove componets are the originals......can you prove at the steering box/suspension arms etc is/are the one(s) off the car as it rolled off the production line...?? I doubt it.

Spacenut
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Am I just paranoid, or do I get the impression they are out to get us???? :help:

Alzax3
09-03-2010, 08:15 AM
That sound's like one that would need testing in court........ they REALLY should have better things to do with their time, unless of course they're competeing with H&S inspectors for unpopularity and pointlessness.........

CyCo
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
How's this going to effect the Green Machine Lauren? How is it registered, as a Bug or something else?

Spacenut
09-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Something else :D

JemP
09-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Register it as a Zastava Lauren, go for the sympathy vote, they'll leave you alone! :)