PDA

View Full Version : New Member Portugal/Germany

mikevondy
03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Hello everybody.
My name is Miguel.
I came from Portugal but I work in Germany as a Graphic Designer.
I never had a Nova Sterling but its my dream car since a long time but I really had the guts to buy one until now.
Next weekend I'm gonna see one in holand... we will see...
Thanks for everything and sorry for not being a very interesting member at the moment.

bushboy
03-03-2010, 11:30 PM
G'day Miguel,

As you intend to get one, in many ways you are more interesting than others on this site (including me). We will all be eager to know how you get on & what you intend to do with it, asking for pictures & hopefully answering all your questions.

Hope your trip ends in success.

Keep us posted.

Bushboy

Vasco Da Gamer
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Welcome Miguel

I'm a Graphic designer too !

I hope your Nova turns out to be a good one, do look over it REALLY carefully unless you have lots of time and money to fix it, or specifically want a project....

Be warned - they are in no way every day cars, I kidded myself that I would be able to drive mine in winter, but it is just totally impractical unless you have good weather and/or the best heater/de-mister system on the planet. Also, do ensure you drive the car this weekend (assuming it's a runner), because when you first try it the experience can be really scary - it is completely different from anything you will have driven before (especially if like me you have never driven a Beetle) and takes some serious getting used to....

But then, that's part of why we love them isn't it !

Steve

mikevondy
04-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi bushboy! Thank you soo much for your message.
I have no problem at all with showing you pictures and stuff in fact that's why I'm here also, I can start showing some pictures of what the Nova of my dreams would look like.
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u245/mVondy/novaperish.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u245/mVondy/novaperish2.jpg
Just love it in Red with some details in black.
Thank you soo much and I will post the pictures of the Dutch Nova.
By the way. I forgot to tell but I also work as a performer you can see more pictures of my work at www.myspace.com/thinkvondy (http://www.myspace.com/thinkvondy)

mikevondy
04-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Welcome Miguel

I'm a Graphic designer too !

I hope your Nova turns out to be a good one, do look over it REALLY carefully unless you have lots of time and money to fix it, or specifically want a project....

Be warned - they are in no way every day cars, I kidded myself that I would be able to drive mine in winter, but it is just totally impractical unless you have good weather and/or the best heater/de-mister system on the planet. Also, do ensure you drive the car this weekend (assuming it's a runner), because when you first try it the experience can be really scary - it is completely different from anything you will have driven before (especially if like me you have never driven a Beetle) and takes some serious getting used to....

But then, that's part of why we love them isn't it !

Steve

Hi Vasco da Gamer... its funny you have the name of the famous street racing bridge in Lisbon =D
Thank you soo much for your tips! To be honest I never ever saw a live one its gonna be my frst time to see finaly the car I was dreaming for so long time. Must be a really wicked feeling hehe. I will drive it for sure and it is a Runner. I meaI had and I still have a bmw316 from 85 and drivin that car was hell on ice in the winter.. but lets see.
would you mind If I can ask you a question. How much do you pay of insurance with yours and I wanted to know if you find it easy to find parts for this car and if it as a lot of mechanical and electrical problems.
Thank you soo much!
Hug

Vasco Da Gamer
04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi again

Ah yes, the name. I used to play an online game called "Discovery Online" - set in the age of discovery, and so modified Vasco Da Gama the explorer's name for my online name. The trouble is no one gets it! I thought Vasco Da Gama was as famous as say, Columbus, but it turns out not.....

I am new to Beetle mechanicals myself and this forum has loads of experts on it so I have to be careful not to pretend I know anything about Beetle based cars, but the basic car is just that - very basic,. Therefore any issues you have are likely to be age related, even the most reliable components give way with time. Some people say the Beetle is bullet proof and never goes wrong (probably people who watched Woody Allen's film "Sleeper" and believed it), others say the extra-reliable tag is a myth... I have yet to find out which is true. Parts are no problem at all - easy to get and cheap. You would do well to check out where your nearest air-cooled Beetle expert is though, check out some German forums to see who is well known and relatively local to you.

I think you should treat your Nova as a very old car that is likely to go wrong regularly until you have replaced an awful lot of components - but other wiser heads here will give you more succinct information. My other kit car is 50 years old, but has had so much replaced that I use it as my every day transport, so anything can be sorted if you have enough time and determination.

The electrics will be entirely down to the skill of the builder, some kits are a total and utter mess (to the point of being dangerous), others are a model of neatness. Sorting that sort of thing out is a matter of time, thought and patience. My Spartan was half built when I bought it and the wiring was an astonishing cat's cradle of miss-matched wires and chocolate box connectors... and the supposed builder was an electrical engineer! The newly bought Nova is similar - all trailing unconnected wires, with no working instruments, and absolutely nothing labelled. Back to the drawing board there....

Insurance wise - well I'm an old git (45) so it's cheap for me - around £100 per year fully comprehensive (plus a decade's worth of no claims bonus because I ensure my other car with the same people). If you are young then you might be looking at quite a lot I am afraid - depending on how much engine cc's counts in Germany and whether the licensing authority is aware of the "unusual" nature of the car.

Before I bought mine, I had only seen a few in the flesh before - at Kit Car Shows of course, never on the road - and it is interesting how your attitude changes before and after buying. Before - when that canopy comes down and you move off, it is all very exciting and all you notice are all the people staring on the streets as you pass them or sit in traffic queues. After you buy it, suddenly that canopy feels quite claustrophobic and you wonder for the first time what you will do if the hydraulics fail.... (boot out a side window, open the sunroof if you have one, disconnect the actuator arms on some cars....), plus you notice how wide the car is, how much extra body you really have to allow for either side of what you think are the edges of the car, plus of course just how little you can see behind you (B*gg@r all). That's why so many sorted Novas have big wing mirrors and rear view cameras....

Hope I'm not putting you off - it's still great !

Best regards

Steve

thestevie
04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
my insurance is $444.19. thats what being young means, paying more for insurance.

letterman7
04-03-2010, 06:59 PM
:cheers: Welcome aboard Mike! I smell a graphic designer meet somewhere...I'm one, too! Look around and learn and enjoy the site(s)...and keep your eyes on the classifieds. Something that will suit you is bound to show up!

Rick

hildi25
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome, lots of luck with your purchase!!

Rob

jimcub
04-03-2010, 09:33 PM
:welcome: you need a level and low head to own a Nova, yes it will need work if not when you get it home. Then every year there will be bits to do.
Parts as mostly beetle are widly available, other bits like body parts do turn up on ebay throughout the year.
Insurance varies depends on what your driving habits are, also some bits on the Nova will probably have come off other cars.

Good luck.

mikevondy
05-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone for welcome me in the Site :)
Yeah I think this is relly gonna become a graphic design meeting one of this days hehe
Would like to thanks Vasco da Gamer for your long and juici text! thanks for all the information.. at this time its really precious information and dont worry its not gonna change my view.. every car has is own problems... ones more than other but I believe that is the thing about a car. With the insurance I think then I'm gonna have problems bcause im 23 hehe but here Im gonna have more problems with the CO taxes.. lets see
The car I was gonna see next weekend was sale on ebay allready.. was a black one but from the pictures was a lil bit messed up but I found one just like the one I show in the picture. but with a diferent dashboard... think its not gonna be dificult to get a diferent one. One question for the owners... its not possible to open the roof by manual when the electric goes booom?

One more time thanks everyone for helping me with this dream of mine!

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u245/mVondy/novaperish2.jpg

Alzax3
05-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi to you! There's no standard way to open a hydraulic canopy (or linear activators either) if the power goes down - Easiest solution is to have a sunroof so at least you can get out.... several people have worked out methods with bypass valves or pullable pins so that the rams stop fighting you, not sure if anyones tried them out in reality yet!

Peter
05-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome aboard the board, :welcome: :cheers:
I know everyone will be looking forward to your Nova ownership and the progress, :groupwave:
I would say one thing though, :please: unless you have the space, time, skills and money (and an understanding partner or be single) get one by all means BUT get one that needs NO work done to it and don't mess with it any more than you have too. So many end up being sold as “unfinished projects” a year or three later and eventfully disappear.
Don't be too worried about insurance, I think you will be surprised at how little it is for a VW beetle/Nova. Mine on full comp. cost less than my MB A170 TP+ only and make sure ALL the paper work is current and up to date or you may find you need a special test and that could be fatal!
As long as you have access to the battery or a connection point such as a + bolt in a wheel arch if the battery is inside the car, (behind the right seat for instance) then jumping from a good battery is the best way to overcome the canopy problem as the mechanical/electrical part rarely goes wrong if properly maintained, which goes door the rest of the car as well usually. I don't have a canopy but as my door catches/locks ARE electric I have a similar problem, no power = no open, but as my battery is under the front bonnet I can unlock it to gain access. :clapping:

Hey, Steve, 45 OLD? What the heck does that make me? :offtopic:

mikevondy
05-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi
Thanks so much alzax and Peter for your suport and for your tips :cheers:
The one I'm interested doesent have sunroof. that means I will have problems hihi maybe its a good ideia to keep the laptop inside the car so I can park it somewhere with wireless net to send some S.O.S to the forum hihi "not kiddin" :wink:
Thank you soo much for the help and I will post some more news!

Spacenut
05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Miguel - welcome to Euro Nova :welcome:

I don't have a sunroof either. Or rather, I did, but the glass had been smashed by vandals and I couldn't get a replacement so I had the hole covered over with fibreglass. I have never had a canopy hydraulic failure in 5 years near continuous use, but I do insist on having a very simple key switch - no remote controls, no limit switches etc.

Provided that the system has been installed properly there is no reason why it should not provide reliable service.

Good luck with your viewing at the weekend. Do you intend to drive the car in Germany? Will it have to be submitted for TUV? Please let us know how you get on, and it goes without saying - pictures please!

Lauren

Vasco Da Gamer
05-03-2010, 09:08 PM
To Peter - LOL, I don't know.... older and wiser ?

I won't add anything about Photographs, although we will all be interested - I have singularly failed to get off my lazy bum and upload any pictures of my increasingly battered looking heap (it looked OK when I got it but every time I work on it I seem to manage to do some damage....).

Meanwhile, here's a link to a posting which you may already have seen on the subject of Emergency Exiting:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1335 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1335)

Lauren's comment has got me thinking about the Hydraulics - maybe I should stick with the simple switch arangement after all (I have been looking at remote systems for the cool factor...).

Really do hope it goes well - don't let your heart rule your head like I did; if it's not worth the money asked, don't buy it. I don't regret purchasing mine, but I know now that it was far too expensive.

Steve

mikevondy
06-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi. feel so bad about your window situation... vandals... envy envy yhey dont know what is a real car
Your coment make me feel better thanks! but I would say that must be great to have a sunroof no?
Yeah to be honest I have no ideia but I will ask everything on the former owner of the garage and I will make a new post on the forum... with Pictures! ! !:banana:

Hi Miguel - welcome to Euro Nova :welcome:

I don't have a sunroof either. Or rather, I did, but the glass had been smashed by vandals and I couldn't get a replacement so I had the hole c Lovered over with fibreglass. I have never had a canopy hydraulic failure in 5 years near continuous use, but I do insist on having a very simple key switch - no remote controls, no limit switches etc.

Provided that the system has been installed properly there is no reason why it should not provide reliable service.

Good luck with your viewing at the weekend. Do you intend to drive the car in Germany? Will it have to be submitted for TUV? Please let us know how you get on, and it goes without saying - pictures please!

Lauren