PDA

View Full Version : Don't Panic Yet. Clarification of DVLA inspection.

MikesPinkPassion
07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi all,

Just thought I should clarify the position regarding 'Purple Passions' DVLA inspection.
To the best of my knowledge (after having spoken at some length to the inspector) this has only arisen through discrepancy's in the paperwork.
Inspector was not interested in any mods, conversions etc' just the identity of the vehicle !!

This is how he explained it to me;

3 years ago the new style v5's were introduced, at the same time all the computers from Police, Excise, VOSA, Insurance and of course the DVLA were linked together creating one huge database allowing online tax renewal, automatic speed ticketing etc'

The Purple Passion is currently insured with Adrian Flux. they insist on listing my car as a 'Nova Sport Coupe'
The v5 only shows my car as a Volkswagen.
The police database shows my car as a VW Beetle.

At some point during travelling to last seasons shows ( presumably in convoy with Ben/Harrys car, given that we were both flagged within weeks of each other) the police have run a check on the registration to find out what the car is. Returning the answer that it is a VW Beetle and them not being able to recognise it as such, they have flagged it up on there computer as 'to be queried'. This goes through to the DVLA in Swansea who are obliged to follow up the query.

Finding the different descriptions on the databases they then write telling you that the car must be inspected.

They check the registration, engine number, and chassis number and if satisfied are quite prepared to change the V5 description accordingly. However, any descrepancy and they will not except the vehicle is genuine. They are not interested in any chassis plates, riveted or otherwise, only the original chassis number stamped in the tunnel. They insist on seeing this even if it means cutting, or removing parts in order to gain access. They know exactly what they are looking for. The font, size, positioning and the star symbols at each end of the number. If all is not correct the inspection is failed and the car must then go onto a 'Q' Plate, be issued with a new VIN and of course pay road tax.

In my case the VIN number on the tunnel is damaged so therefore it failed. If looked at closely with a magnifying glass the number can be made out and is indeed correct for the vehicle. They have now put the onus on me to prove the chassis is what I say it is !!!

In a nutshell, if your chassis number is intact and correct, your cars description on the DVLA, Police and insurance database all match, you have nothing to worry about. If not you will be called for inspection sooner or later when the discrepancy is flagged up as it's not just the police but the number plate recognision cameras that will get you.

Alzax3
07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Phew! Thanks for that Mike - hopefully getting the DVLA to change my documents a few years back WAS the right move after all! :giveup:

MikesPinkPassion
07-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice one Alex :clapping:

Wish I had checked it all 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I think there may be some members whose numbers and descriptions don't match, I hope they don't make the rash decision to send there V5's off for modification, as any change submitted other than engine number, colour or change of address will automatically trigger an inspection.

I believe there was a six month amnesty when the new v5's were issued so as they could be returned with any correction to the details amended. Typically I missed the boat :dunce:

Look forward to seeing you and Liz soon.

Mike.

bushboy
07-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Mike,
That's good news indeed. I'll just keep going until I'm asked to front up. My V5 sounds similar to yours, make Volkswagen and all the rest blank other than body type that says Saloon.

So how are you going with your proof of identity?

Martin

Ben
07-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Hiya bushboy

google (DVLA INF 26) then print it off.

Mike is spot on.

Ben

JemP
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Mikes problem is different though, its because the DVLA do not believe the vehicle is the one registered, as they can't read the chassis number properly.
So long as the vehicle can be proven to be the vehicle it says it is, i.e. correct VIN, correct reg, correct engine number, then the DVLA will be happy. So whenever we get the call from the DVLA, so long as we can show those three items, there shouldnt be a problem.
I checked my Chassis number yesterday, and luckily its all ok, all the stars and everything can just about be read. I was thinking of how to make it a bit easier to read, like painting around it white, and then overpaint in black, rub most of the black away leaving the black in the stamped number only.

Alzax3
08-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Might be safest to leave well alone, if you can more or less read it I wouldn't play with it at all.....

Spacenut
08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi Mike - thanks for clarifying the situation regarding the Purple Passion. It sounds like in this instance DVLA were only interested in proving the identity of your donor chassis. Nevertheless, I am concerned that they are still refusing to accept a chassis with a scuffed identity code is legitimate. It sounds unnecessarily over-zealous to me. Unless DVLA are aware of another VW chassis running around with the same identity as yours, why this level of scrutiny?

I sincerely hope that you can get your V5 back without any further inspection/testing, but I can't help thinking that there is more to this than DVLA are saying - which could have far reaching implications for those of us fortunate enough to have got our cars on the road... :ermm:

I look forward to seeing you and Elaine (and the Purple Passion) again soon!

Lauren

Peter
09-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Touching the VIN stamping in any way would constitute an offence BUT I have myself "cleaned up" my VW VIN with a Dremal. very carefully and painted over it in white, no problems so far, did the same with a Rover 4
216 which has it-s VIN in the front of the boot opening (stupid idea, it rusts) and did the same.

jim73vw
25-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the explanation Elaine,

That seems similar to what I have just been told.

Despite no longer being a Nova owner I received a letter this week from the Brighton DVLA office yesterday requesting that I take the Nova for a vehicle inspection.

I phoned them and spoke to them to advise I had sold the vehicle and asked what the inspection related to. I was advised this is a routine inspection requested due to changes made to the vehicle. I was told it most likely arises from the car being looked up on the vehicle database by a curious police officer, and then querying that it didn't look like a beetle ! I haven't made any changes to the log book for a long time (probably last one was engine change).

The lady I spoke to at Brighton said it isn't anything to worry about, and that they should just need to verify the chassis number (on the centre tunnel).

I have returned the slip on the letter to DVLA Brighton with a copy of the signed log book (I sent the original off on the Saturday I sold the car). They advised it can take a few weeks for change of keeper to be recorded at Swansea, so no doubt the new owner will get a request from their local office when it works through the system - I have forewarned them.

The lady I spoke to was very pleasant and advised they often get little clue from Swansea as to why they need to inspect. I tdoes seem to bea bit of a coincidence though that a few of us have now had these letters :confused1:

jimcub
25-03-2010, 07:33 PM
If I have to show my chassis number I'll have to relocate the seat harness, as they are bolted to the central tunnel and any cutting would weaken that point.

Spacenut
25-03-2010, 10:14 PM
This is beginning to sound more and more like a witch hunt to me. I think my main concern is that so far I haven't heard a happy ending to any of these stories yet (and I do so like happy endings :group: )

As far as I can make out, the DVLA are witholding the registration documents for both Gizmo and Purple Passion, is that correct? Which presumably prevent them being taxed and used on the road. Nena could soon be another casualty of this process. All roadworthy cars, removed from the roads. DVLA have conveniently lost all their records, so now the onus is on each individual owner to prove their vehicles identity, a protracted process that could see their Novas removed from use for months if not years. It just sounds like a sneaky way of keeping owners of such cars tied up in red tape until they either get so fed up they buy a Kia Sorrento or the much-feared Harmonised IVA test (due in 2012) legislates us all out of existance.

God, its depressing :(

I know. I am Marvin the Paranoid Android. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us...

I'm looking forward to hearing some good news on this thread. Very soon please, otherwise there will be some rather empty pitches at shows this year...

Lauren

jimcub
25-03-2010, 11:21 PM
And whose going to fund the unemployment chqs for all those put out of business, when there is no customising or parts left for us to buy from all those small firms

Spacenut
26-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Sorry about that. Now that I have regained my composure after last night's outburst :sorry:, let me get my head around this - every time a traffic cop sees a Nova/Eagle/unusual car, he does a numberplate check and gets the wrong answer (its not a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Paganiveyronboxster), so in a fit of pique queries it with DVLA and triggers a call for inspection?

Unless DVLA log the query and the resolution, this is going to happen all the time isn't it? And it could happen to the same car - more than once. I know I have a certain nostalgic fondness for the 1970's, but now everyone's on strike again and we've got a suss-law for cars it has reminded me of why the '70s wasn't so much fun at the time :(

But I do have a question - are Gizmo and Purple P are allowed on the roads during this inspection process? Have the DVLA kept or withdrawn the V5 until the vehicle identity is proved? And if not proved to their satisfaction, would they issue a Q plate just on the basis of the identity inspection?

Lauren

Ben
26-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Hiya Lauren

This is all down to ANPR system used by the police.

I have not spoken to DVLA the wife has wen I was at work and said all the wrong things. :whistling:

Wen I take Gizmo for inspection and if I can't do it on line. The wife who has a name Melissa will do it wile I am at work. If mel can't make a date for inspection that is the fault of DVLA because I want to drive Gizmo there.

I will use DVLA 16 point rule. Gizmo has been road leagle for 14 years so the New 14 point they give don't apply
I will quot MP,S expenes payed by the TAX payer one law for all.

But I think after DVLA inspection they will send Gizmo for a VOSA inspection. Then work threw the 16 point rule by them I have no problem doing that. I did work close to VOSA for 12 years.

Ben