PDA

View Full Version : New seats

ChrisBailey
18-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi, I have just ordered some bucket seats of ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robin-hood-westfi ... 3cab2ce03d (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robin-hood-westfield-locost-caterham7-seats-BLACK-GREEN_W0QQitemZ260569882685QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3cab2ce03d)

Hopefully they will fit, I have measured and measured again.
IF they fit I will let you know, maybe ideal to some nova guys on here.
The seller also said they do a narrower seats called a clubman, these are 15 inches at the base.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robin-hood-westfi ... 3cab28b66c (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Robin-hood-westfield-locost-caterham-seats-BLACK-black_W0QQitemZ260569609836QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3cab28b66c)

I JUST PRAY THESE FIT!
:crossfinger:

Vasco Da Gamer
18-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh very nice - very 'Blake's Seven', I sincerely hope they do fit.

I think the other seats are the same ones as in my Nova (Corbeau), so they definitely do fit.

Steve

Nic
18-03-2010, 08:56 PM
WOW Those are GREAT! As long as they aren't too wide, those will be sweet! Wish I could find something like that out here!

benherron
18-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Very cool, like the ones you brought rather than the clubman ones.
I managed to get a set of the original seats at Xmas. Very retro.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/benherron/DSCF4952.jpg

Hopefully going to get them re-trimmed with a little more padding like this pic, as they're a little sparse adm.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/benherron/DSCF4805.jpg

Big Birds Car
18-03-2010, 11:26 PM
They don't look like they have any reclining mechanism on them are you 100% sure they will fit? they look a little upright to me, there again I bought four complete sets of different seats none of which actually fitted.
Somewhere someone did a sketch showing the width, length and angle required to fit in, maybe someone can remember where and let you know before you spend out the readies.

mattswan2512
19-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I had a bit of a lucky find the other day with seats! I have a set of custom made cloth seats in mine as I speak, but at work the other day I was in a waste transfer station in my artic waiting to be loaded and a comercial roro drove in!
I watched it empty and it was filled with motorbike parts! Last seasons unsold race cans and moto gp umbrellas etc.

Also inside this very large pile of gold was about 10 set of moto gp pace car cobra sport seats! Lovely. I grabbed the best two I could find all still in wraps.

My only issue is there was no underside mounting rails for them and I haven't checked to see if they will fit! I will take a pik and post it at the weekend to show you but they had a price tag on them of 190 each so thankyou moto gp!

ChrisBailey
19-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, they dont recline but they will probly need to be lent backwards anyway unless the slope on the dropped pans helps?
Ill soon know if they fit anyway, they comming next week, however if they dont fit I have a dutton phaeton they will be going in so no money lost.
Im hoping if i raise them a little bit the runners an slope them back a bit they should fit over the rails at the front and sit between the rails at the back where there is much more room.

Peter
19-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Basically you need to be under 47cm at the base to fit between the tunnel and the side of the floor pan and recliners or about 40 degrees tilt and as low to the floor as possible. Height depends on your floor drop but most seat backs will fit IF sloped back enough.

ChrisBailey
19-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Well these seats are 42cm at the base, i dont know the angle which the lean.
BTW where did you get the original seats from?
I have never seen them before.

ChrisBailey
29-03-2010, 12:09 PM
SEATS ARE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/DSC00002-2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/DSC00001-1.jpg

I have measured the base and they are just under 16", they look very narrow, and I wouldnt advise anybody who is larger than average.
Its raining now so I cant get pictures of them in the car, I will update you when the rain stops.

ChrisBailey
29-03-2010, 01:29 PM
:drive: YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!
THEY FIT!!!
They fit really well, There is not runners on them yet but standing them upright on the floor as far forward as I can, they fit great, I can touch the bulk head with my feet when push all the way forward, and there is loads of room to recline back, they dont need to be leaned back either, altho it would make it more comfotable.
I step closer to the road!

by the way if anybody is interested in buying a pair for their eagle/nova they are currently going for 145 on ebay, they look like un labled cobra roadsters which retail at 400.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/DSC00003-2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/DSC00004-2.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/DSC00005-2.jpg

Vasco Da Gamer
29-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Excellent - they will look superb.

I would definitely be interested in a pair of those, but the ones I have now are fairly new (although they do not recline) and sadly I have more important things to spend money on....

Steve

benherron
29-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Originals came from Jon on the Eagle's OC forum. Had to go pick them up from other side of London, and they'll need a re-trim as no padding, but I want to keep it fairly original so they're perfect.

Peter
03-04-2010, 09:11 AM
They look great, I was a bit worried about the angle being enough and still am a bit but one can "reform" them if need be to increase that. I wonder if my 17 stone slim body would fit though? :cry:

nbb350
03-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Are these seats fiberglass framed or steel framed? if steel, they could be "forcefully bent" to the proper seatback angle... :twisted:

vpogv
04-04-2010, 01:39 PM
:dunce: But do they recline at all or do they have a stationary back?

ChrisBailey
04-04-2010, 03:32 PM
The seats are fixed back (not reclineable) and are metal framed.
I have sat in them in the car and to be honest, with dropped sloped pans the seats are fine, having the seats lean back to the bulkhead means i cant see out the car properly.
If they do need to be reclined I am going to put blocks under the front of the seat, it allows your legs to bend and makes them a bit nicer to sit in.
I ll get some pictures of the upright with me sitting in them, might help you out a bit.

JemP
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
What happened to the MX3 seats you bought?

Peter
05-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Reminds me of the time in 1995 when I fitted seats that were tipped up at the front, (before the Rascal ones) and my legs went dead as the front of the squab cut off curculation :oops2: . hey ho happy days.

ChrisBailey
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
MX3 seats are going in the bin, they need to have 2 inch cut from the centre of them, I was going to mod them but found some propper seats for a decent price.

JemP
04-05-2010, 08:33 AM
If you're planning to bin them, can I have them??

Peter
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow Chris, you can see out of the car properly? Must be a first, I can't see a bloody thing apart from dead ahead and out to the side. :drive: How about that photo of you sitting in the car Just for comparison I'm a slim-ish 5'10 and 112k (17 1/2 stone) because I am really tempted to get a pair of those Westfield/7 seats although they only come in black they look really good with the red belts, (mine have gone pink in the sun) but how are they in situ?
I can get buggy seats simular (and in red/black) for only $38 each direct from GS Moon buggy in China but at 16.5 kilos each they cost 6 a kilo to ship via TNT economy, ouch! :thumbdown: This guy will ship to me in Spain for 50 which is not bad making them just under 190 a pair. :thumbup: (anyone driving down to Marbella anytime soon? :whistling:

ChrisBailey
04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
HAHA, when I mean see out properly I mean I can see better than I did before, Its going to be a problem getting pictures of me sitting in the car now because the body is off.
Soon as body is back on Ill make sure I get some pictures!
Seats are great to sit on though, I have a conventional pair of universal bucket seats (much larger) which feel uncomfortable.
The only problem people may find with these seats is the kidney/side supports realy grab you, if you are on the wide side they may digg in abit, personally I think these seats feel great and I could sit in them all day! (seriously)
Im sure the seats can be forcefully bent into whatever angle you require, however when I sat in the seat upright with dropped pans (dropped at back) they didnt hit the roof, felt comfortable and you can see more with the upright seating position, my old seats and any other seat reclined back to the bulk head causes vision problems due to only being able to see the sky.
Im about 5ft 10, slim so have no issues, I did make sure however there was room to slide the seat back on runners for taller drivers.
When I get time I will do a propper drawing of the seat showing the angle it leans back and all of the dimensions.
I am convinced these seats are just unbadged cobra roadsters, they look identicle.

Peter
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
[quote="I am convinced these seats are just unbadged cobra roadsters, they look identicle.[/quote]
Probably another shinning example from Shanghi. We buy lots of stuff direct from the factory in China and we can't figure out how they do it for the prices they charge for parts, (or the rip off price when re-sold! HT coils cost $1.38 sell for 50!! clutches cost $9 sell for 98!!)

Peter
27-05-2010, 09:03 AM
How is going with those seats, I am on the verge of getting a pair (dispit the 50 shipping). Do you find the rather large side supports a problem getting in and out?

Peter
28-06-2010, 10:05 PM
All comes to he who waits, bagged these on Ebay for 113.00 (plus 50 shipping to Spain), and with red pipeing, well chuffed and I already have two sets of runners from Stoneliegh '06, Kool.. like waiting for christmas morning now for a whole week. Binned the old Rascal seats already. :clapping:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/serats.jpg

islandman
29-06-2010, 12:44 AM
so the big question is, whats the angle like when in the car and is there headroom :confused1:

Alzax3
29-06-2010, 08:29 PM
So all of a sudden Rascal seats aren't the bees-knees then Peter? :tongue:

Peter
30-06-2010, 07:11 AM
There are three options as I see it regards angle, 1/ bend frame a bit, 2/ spacers under the front of the runners. 3/ spacers between the runners and front of the seat frame, I already have the runners so just need to await the arrival of seats at work in a few days.
Need to dye the sun faded OMP seat belts red agin, (currently PINK!)
Rascal seats are still a very good choice as a affordable drop in recliner but ten years ago these 'Roadster' seats were pricy but at 113 a pair, (and with the introduction of coloured piping) it's a no brainer as which to go for. I'm sure someone would have liked the old Rascal searts but it's a heck of a trip for a pair of seats.

JemP
30-06-2010, 04:12 PM
They look a little "snug" around the bolsters, I'm not sure my back would fit in there.

My Rascal seat came out again yesterday so I can pump a load of expanding foam into the voids in sides of the Avante, which run from the cockpit straight past the rear wheel tubs and into the engine compartment, sucking all those lovely gases into the car. The seat covers are falling apart under the seats, and will need some running repairs. I'll get these covered properly at some stage, I'll hopefully be able to do it myself using the existing covers as patterns. I still love these seats, they are the bee-knees, the dogs dangly-bits, the cats conkers!!!

Peter
03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Believe me if my 220lb arse can fit in, anyones can, The seats on our buggies are about the same size and I spend 3 hours+ a time in them.

JemP
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM
:) Say no more!!

Peter
20-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Seats finaly in the car but not bolted in yet. Need to 'reposition' the side supports outward a bit and 'adjust the angle' of the back by 15 degrees. They really are made for 'Hampster'Hammond' size people, I would say max, 5'8". seat belts need to be floor mounted as they can't be routed from the parcel shelf down to the seats and back up to my shoulders, the holes are level with my shoulder blades not my shoulders. but usable and looking good. The seats we have in the GS Moon 260 is much better, still narrow enough but higher and wider but look cheap in perforated plastic and shipping cost are high from China.

ChrisBailey
22-07-2010, 05:34 PM
its always the way, any thing that looks good in life never fits or is never designed for a normal average human being, either need a 23 inch waist or foot taller or shorter.
atleast it will look good when its parked up :cool1:
Im sure the overweight millionaires have the same problem with there zondas and veyron.