PDA

View Full Version : Jobug's Avante

Alzax3
18-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Avante-Kit-Car ... 4cee412b6d (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Avante-Kit-Car-bodyshell_W0QQitemZ330414762861QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4cee412 b6d)

Peter
19-03-2010, 11:33 AM
No screen, no V5c, in otherwords, scrap!

Alzax3
19-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Not the way to refer to items that forum members are selling Peter :nonono: It's a 'Project'.

JemP
19-03-2010, 06:51 PM
It looks like my kind of scrap :)

jobuguk
19-03-2010, 09:27 PM
No screen, no V5c, in otherwords, scrap!Every body's got there own opinion, but i must say one mans scrap is another mans project! 99p is a bargain.
In my opinion if there wasn't any scrap cars, alot of kit cars wouldn't have got built :cheers: .

Alzax3
19-03-2010, 09:34 PM
And I see the bidding has started - good luck Jobug! :D

JemP
19-03-2010, 09:54 PM
So the Avante project is dead Jonny? Thats a shame, and I have a feeling that it may be the end of the line for another Avante. I'd love to take it off you but I've got no space at the moment, and I think the next project (which won't start until after the Avante is on the road) will be a Nova.

Big Birds Car
20-03-2010, 10:14 AM
If someone is bidding on it then maybe not another dead kit car. The price of a screen shouldn't put someone off as we know that it is possible to get a new one for around the £500 mark, it sounds and is a lot of money but when compared to an ordinary car screen it is not so expensive as it sounds and if you really want an Avante, Eagle or Nova the mear fact that you can get one means that they are salvageable kits, whereas a few years ago it would have been the death of such a car.

If you were building a new kit car today then you will be paying very close to, if not over with a re-test, £500 just for the IVA.

I always wanted an Avante just to make up the set but can't justify it at the moment even if it is cheap as chips. I have bought all sorts before hand off evilbay for next to nothing and then spent a fortune collecting and like so many I just don't have the spare cash to play with as I would like.

Good luck on the sale and fingers crossed that someone does something with it, or keeps hold of it for a few years and then sells it to me as an unfinished project at a stupidly cheap price when I can think of buying again. :clapping:

Peter
21-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Wot I meant woz. As has been documented on this board many times, as it doesn't have any paperwork it will probably need a full Vospa test and as yet no one has passed it in a droop snoop. Well, not as far as I know.
I can see a Q plate on it so there is an outside chance of getting that restored by DVLA as long as it hasn’t been dead too long but it might still need a test as it seems there is only the chassis left of the original car and that's not enough points.
Yes the cost of a screen, engine and gearbox, wheels, suspension, brakes, etc will be a factor, in fact even if the buyer is looking to make one out of two or more, I can see at least £2,000+ before trim, tyres and paint. Certainly who ever buys it will have to look on it as a 'project' and with a lot of time, workspace, skill and deep, deep pockets there is still no certainty it will make it onto the road, which means two years and a lot of money later I would put money on it being back on Ebay as another unfinished project, sorry, but it’s just a matter of history repeating itself. As we well know on here so many people buy these 'projects' without realising just how much dedication and cash they take to finish. There are so few cars that are in anything like in road going condition, my own is having yet another retrim (plus it hasn’t stop pi**ing down since November) but at least it is road legal and I could get it off the stands and drive it as it is. Since these cars were made bureaucracy has made it almost impossible to get one on the road legally from scratch.

jobuguk
21-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Thank's alot for all the info Pete, i know what you ment in the first place. Two days to go, had some one round saturday and said he had checked and the car was still registered :clapping: .

JemP
22-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Jonny, are you still going to keep the Avante webpage live?

Glad to hear that the Avante is still registered, it stands a hope of someone actually rebuilding it, without that, I agree with Peter, it would be someones pipedream for a while, and then the reality would kick in, and it would be back up on ebay.
I'm looking at those doors in the pic, and it might be just the angle they are at but are they chopped down a bit? The bit that carries the window at the back of them looks a little short. Also I can't see any of the window channel mechanism in there, all the hefty metal work that makes the doors weigh a ton!!
Does the body have the steel monocoque in place? The front and rear bulkheads? and the framework that bolts onto the front and rear suspension? I bought a "hollow" Avante once, not even realising they had this big monocoque!!

jobuguk
22-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi jemp, i'll still keep the website live till i need the web space, but got other projects come ing up in the future when
the time comes i'll inform the forum and perhaps you on your blog or the nova website can transfer all the info over.

As for the doors it is the angle the photo's been take ( not chopped ) and they are heavy got all the parts inside ,it's the kit bag
in the photo that's hiding the top of the doors.

The body has the steel monocoque in place, but the rear bulkhead and the framework that bolts onto the rear suspension are out
of the shell (but got them), the guy who a bought the car of didn't realize their where only four bolts left to split the shell from the pan, so made two cuts
and left framework on the floorpan just needs welding back again.

JemP
22-03-2010, 09:20 PM
If I was a single man with a big garage I'd be seriously tempted!!! Actually i am seriously tempted but I value my testicles!

JemP
22-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Jonny, i'll take on the Avante site no problem, got loads of webspace and I would love to find more Avantes out there and map them

Peter
23-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Hmmm, testicals, yum yum I bet it wouldn't get the same reaction if it was a new pair of shoes.(for 'er in doors of course.) Why is it most women just do not get the man-car connection thing? Back in the day, like 1994 I was looking for an Avante but couldn't find one so ended up buying the SS new, If I ever get rid of my baby I would buy a restored classic next time, maybe a Triumph Dolomite or 2000TC MKII. The car I loved most, (apart from the SS of course) was my fab' and fast blue Rover SD1 3.5 V8 auto, coudn't afford to run it thse days though. :cry:

JemP
23-03-2010, 11:15 AM
No, my wife isnt won over by a pair of shoes, she's not that fickle!!
She gets the man car connection okay, its not a woman thing, just that she also gets the proper planning thing too - and another car would hardly get the Avante on the road any quicker. She put together the MOT list, and buy another Avante doesnt appear on that list, quite rightly!!