PDA

View Full Version : GP Madison - haven't seen one of these for some time.

Simpatico
25-04-2010, 11:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP-MADISON_W0QQitemZ130386080217QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAu tomobiles_UK?hash=item1e5b9db1d9

Now this one could easily swing into the ugly setion, and personally not my cup of tea really, but it's such a professional design, the interesting incorporation of identifiable VW styling features, it has to be classed as a good kit. Wasn't it a Neville Trickett design?

I understand the project was bought by a Asian firm who still produce them at a high cost, and are most irritated when anyone points out the kit origins!

Vasco Da Gamer
25-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Everything about that car should be wrong, but I always rather liked them, it definitely does capture a kind of British Packard feel about it.

A nice example - although I think the front bumper is mounted too high - it spoils the lines of the wing tips. Nice detailing, and not too much "stuff" all over it (so many classic kits are festooned in badges, horns and lights to the point where the styling is lost - although that's a good thing on some of the really bad ones mind you...).

Simpatico
25-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Agreed, the bumpers are the only thing that jars, but it would be unfair to dwell on it as like you say the owner has kept it clean and simple. Even GP didn't get all the details quite right, IIRC the factory versions had chrome Weller 8 spokes and wire baskets :zipped: . Retro can so easily go badly wrong (the Beauford???? :puking: ) this one, like other GP/Trickett designs, deserved better.

Vasco Da Gamer
26-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I was thinking of the Beauford whan I wrote those lines.... :wink:

Especially the early one with half a Mini dumped on the chassis. I always wondered if it would look half right if it had giant wheels on it; half the "wrong" looking kit cars about are that way because the wheels don't fill the arches (okay I admit it, my Spartan has that problem - but I compensated with high profile tyres).

I had forgotten about those Wellers and Wire Baskets ! That reminds me... I was going to drag out all my old Alternative Cars magazines....

Yes, the Madison deserved a better fate, they must have got something right, because I wouldn't mind a go in that car, it's still cool until you realise the engine noise is coming from the wrong place - although I have a feeling a Ford based one with the engine up front was available for a while.

CyCo
26-04-2010, 12:47 AM
How can that be considered ugly? Looks like a beautiful classic roadster to me.

JemP
26-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I loved the coupe version they did, it was just so crazy, impossible to get into, and even worse to get out of. when you were in there you couldnt see out, when you were outside you couldnt see in :) It just had to fail, and it did.

Spacenut
26-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, the Madison was a Neville Trickett design, based on (spot-on Steve) a Packard. Like Jem, I thought the coupe version had great potential (like a mini-Bugatti T57), but the problem was one of diminutive size - it needed to be twice the size in every direction to provide a sensible cabin volume.

Not quite in the class of an Auburn Speedster replica, but certainly not ugly by any means. I hope the seller achieves the price.

Lauren

JemP
26-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Neville Trickett? Didnt he make Dr Who's car?

Spacenut
26-04-2010, 07:57 PM
He designed the Siva Edwardian, which I believe was used as "Bessie"

Vasco Da Gamer
27-04-2010, 02:39 PM
"Bessie" was indeed a Siva Edwardian, in "Daffodil" yellow. Doctor Who seems to have lost his penchant for interesting vehicles since (other than the Tardis obviously).

Sadly I have never seen a GP Madison Coupe in the plastic - which is a pity because I particularly liked that varient - precisely because of the Type 57 influence, I want to see if I can fit.... Might be another contender for a rear view camera though with that tiny rear window.

One thing - I would put some sort of instrument in the round space on the left of this car's dashboard, it appears to look just a little empty right now.

Steve