PDA

View Full Version : Foreign registration

ChrisBailey
26-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Hi, this might seem dumb, but if you were to export or say import a car to germany etc in kit form (no v5), would it be possible to register the car in germany etc, or is it even possible to export kitcar bits without a v5.
Im only thinking about this because of the amount of old kitcars about without v5s and stand little chance of passing the IVA/SVA.
Does SVA/IVA apply outside the UK? if not surely you could get the car registered much more easily.

dango
26-04-2010, 04:14 PM
It is possible without v5 a kitcar to register in Germany.
But it is impossible in Austria - only in EU registred cars
you can register in Austria. All other cars, you must have
much much money for test and test and test and........

Peter
27-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Same in Spain, if already registered like mine on a Q it's just a simple ITV (MoT) and a value based import tax, vat and registration fee and plate fee, (cost me about 300 on my 4 year old Suzuki Burgman 400 in 2003) If a new registration and "Fisha Technica and a permiso de curculation" (V5) is needed we have to take the car to Cadiz some three hours away and not the more local Estepona or Malaga centres for a special ITV test like the Vosa one in the UK and THEN pay all the stuff, (IF it passes).

Spacenut
28-04-2010, 06:41 PM
To date the UK has had the most lenient attitude toward kit/special/modified cars in the whole of Europe. There is also a different mindset on the Continent toward classic cars or kits - why bother when you could have a new VW Golf or one of those excrable Audi TT jelly moulds?

Anyway, the point is that the UK has been the envy of the kit and custom car scene for years, and unfortunately it is only now that the UK is looking to bring its legislation into line with the rest of Europe (with their different views on classics and customs). If you can't get it on the road in the UK, you would probably have to go to Eastern Europe or North Africa to get it through. The Nova failed the German TUV in 1972 - this is why ex-Porsche ace Hans Hermann did not establish a dealership in Germany (John Willment, who bankrolled the Nova project was his brother-in-law I believe).

Lauren