PDA

View Full Version : Clutch HELP Urgent!!!

Dirk
28-04-2010, 10:55 PM
I have had a disaster tonight driving home a loud squeal started intermittently. At first I thought it was an induction fault perhaps a hose collapsing and squeezing air making the squeal. I went out after tea and started the car the squeal was still there and as I was trying to decide were it was coming from smoke started to appear from the bell housing!!! I have taken the engine out tonight and the thrust bearing had come off one of the springs, is sized and has thrown grease everywhere.

Now my problem is that I do not know what the gearbox is of, when I bought the car the engine that was in it was from a Variant, I know when I bought the clutch from Kennedy engineering they asked me what year my car was as there are two different clutches, I did not know! so I think he told me to look at the springs holding the release bearing, with that info he sent me the clutch. Now I only have 2 days before stones so I am going to have to go to a local motor factors to get a new clutch but what year do I as for? My release bearing has 2 small springs each side.

Dirk

letterman7
29-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Late model throw-out bearings have flat "ears" on either side - 1971-1992; earlier t.o. bearings have the round ears. Both are retained with springs, so look at the ears to determine the year!

Dirk
29-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Thanks mine are square thats a big help :)

Dirk

Dirk
29-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Using the old release bearing as my guide was a bit of a red herring! After digging on the internet it turns out that the way to age an early / late type clutch is to look at the release bearing arms. Early ones have a semi circle dimple in them and later ones are straight. It turns out that mine is an early type but the clutch bearing that was supplied by Kennedy eng was a later type.
My local motor factors could not get one for today so Iíve just done a 200 mile round trip to machine 7 to pick one up.
Off to fit it now so fingers crossed.

Dirk

letterman7
29-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Sorry about that, Dirk. I would have thought Kennedy would have kept a similar system as VW. I guess I should have asked about the arms, but it just never occured to me!

Dirk
29-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Well itís been a steep learning curve today. This is how Machine 7 tells you how to tell the difference between an early and late clutch

? The early style has small semi circular cut outs in the front of the drop arms, to locate the release bearing
? The later style has totally flat faces on the drop arms
When you have seen them both it is obvious but for someone like myself
Lf who has never worked on Beetles until the Nova I think the description is a bit miss leading, if you look at a new style leaver there is a curved section and you would not describe it as flat, on that basis I bought an old style bearing (nearly a 4 hour drive to get it) when I got it home the bearing did not sit in the cut out. On further investigation I found a picture of the two types together and it became clear that it is the later type I had. I phoned my local motor spares and luckily the had a complete clutch for a later Beetle and agreed to split it and sell me the bearing. I could have had that at 9am instead of 4pm.

Anyway lesson learnt it is all back together and running fine so Iím still on for Stones.

Here is a photo of the arms for anyone else in this situation.

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b464/NovaDirk/a21.jpg

Dirk

MicksRedNova
29-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Dirk
Sounds like my saga from last year (see here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=450&start=90 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=450&start=90)). My clutch got softer and softer after the Nova's first run to Detling and with only a few days to go before Stoneleigh 2009 I had to do the same as you. Fortunately I took my old clutch to GSF in Reading and they told me exactly what I needed. Which, although the pressure plate looks completely different, works fine.

Good work on getting yours sorted though.

Mick

Peter
01-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Also late bearings slide on a tube on the gearbox, early ones don't