PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure

whitty1234
05-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi guys and gals

replaced my engine and there is no oil pressure silly question but if you do not know the answer then its a valid question any help thanks lee. :crossfinger:

letterman7
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Could be lots of things, Lee. We need more information. Used or new engine? Was it rebuilt? Was a new oil pump put in? Was it primed? Was the block cleaned? Is there a remote oil cooler fitted? Is there oil actually in the engine?

whitty1234
05-05-2010, 01:52 PM
just took engine out to fit twin ict and repaint tins
put back in oil in engine but know oil showing on gauge
i have been told to turn key and if oil shows 0 take the wire of the sender and it should go up 3 but nothing any ideas its 1.5 in fantastic condition lee.

jimcub
05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
did you take the sender off the do the tins, if yes then has anything blocked the sender when it was replaced.
Is it electric or pressure operated, if electric use a new wire to test in case it has a break in the original.
If pressure undo the compresion fitting and see if oil escapes when you turn it over, don't start it as oil is messy when sprayed out of the hose.

whitty1234
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Cheers its pressure
and i have a oil pressure switch and a oil pressure sender where does this go it does not look like its been used.

whitty1234
05-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Just undune the nut at gauge turned it over nothing
so i undid the one at the sender unit and turned it over again no oil whatsoever
any ideas cheers lee. :crossfinger:

MicksRedNova
05-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Just undune the nut at gauge turned it over nothing
so i undid the one at the sender unit and turned it over again no oil whatsoever
any ideas cheers lee. :crossfinger:

I would hazard a guess that there are three possible causes and checks you can do:

1. No oil in the engine - check that oil shows to the correct line on the dipstick.

2. Oilway blocked to the pressure guage take off point - remove the sender/gauge feed from the block and turn the engine over for about 10 seconds - if no oil comes out then poke a thin wire plastic sleeve into the hole as far as you can (or if you have an airline stick the nozzle on and blow).

3. If item 1 was OK and item 2 still didn't work then maybe the oil pump is duff, but this is unlikely to have happened suddenly. The oil pump can be replaced as it bolts the front of the engine under the crankshaft pulley.

Mick

whitty1234
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Am i missing something i have taken the spark plugs out taken nut of sender and cranked engine by hand, oil does come out so i undid other end to gauge cranked again and little drops come out put it all back together but still nothing do i have to crank the engine over with spark plugs in by hand or by the key cheers.

Alzax3
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
If you crank the engine over without the plugs it won't be straining the starter, or damaging it by running it under power with no pressure. You should get some sort of reading at the gauge. (if you're getting a bit of oil out of the pipe it's a good sign.) By the way, if you've got an electric gauge/sender then you should get a full pressure reading if you 'earth' the lead to the block - removing it from the terminal should give you a zero pressure reading.

letterman7
05-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Right. With either gauge you won't get a reading unless the engine is running - not even if you turn it by hand. With either electric or hydraulic gauges you should get a reading if, like Alex mentioned, you take out the plugs and crank it with the key (and all other power circuits on for electric units). It won't be much, since it's only turning with the starter, but you should see something. If you are getting oil showing from the sender port (located behind and below the fuel pump on the side of the block for a T1 engine), that's a pretty good sign that the gauge either isn't working or you have a bad circuit somewhere. Personally, I'd take a hydraulic gauge setup, shorten the feed line so you can rest the gauge on the engine cover, and have someone fire up the engine. You should see pressure right off the bat and the oil coming quickly up the tube. For a used engine, 10 to 20 psi at idle isn't bad, depending on the oil weight you're using. If the engine fires and you don't get a reading - shut the engine off immediately. Like Mick said, it's unlikely that the pump went bad all of a sudden. It's a geared unit, and you'd notice a gradual drop in pressure - it won't just stop (unless the drive shaft snapped, which is exceedingly unlikely).

whitty1234
06-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys
will give that a go today and thanks again lee. :clapping:

Peter
07-05-2010, 10:26 AM
It could be oil pump drive sheared, not common but not unknown, sufficient friction to turn pump but not under load. Easy to pull pulley and pump and check. If you loosen the oil presure switch under the dizzy it should pee out even on cranking speed, this means oil pump OK, normaly one fits a 'T' there and run both switch and guage from the same point. (I also run a temp guage from the lower right of the block.

whitty1234
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks everybody
no if i undo the t and crank by hand oil fluds out but for some reson will not get to gauge
i cannot see how it could get blocked. Could this be a wiring problem im stumped. :crossfinger:

Alzax3
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
You've said that the gauge is a mechanical one not electric, so no - it can't be a wiring problem!
IF the oil is flooding out of the block, but nothing comes out of the pipe at the gauge end then it sounds like the pipe is either blocked or crushed - you could try blasting it out with an airline (this WILL be messy!) otherwise the only easy course is to replace the pipe with a new one. (I'd check with the gauge out of the car and the pipe connected direct from engine to gauge before plumbing it all back in....)

Peter
09-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Like the man said, if you have flow at the T but not at the gauge then the problem is 100% in the pipe. (which reminds me, must bleed my hydraulic throttle.)

hildi25
10-05-2010, 01:12 AM
I didn't read all the sggestions, but if I was in your sitsuation. I would pull coil wire and turn motor over with starter for an extended period time, around thirty seconds. do this 3 times. Then pull valve cover and check for oil that has started to pump through push rods into rocker arms. If there isn't any oil check dip stick!!

Rob

whitty1234
11-05-2010, 06:50 PM
:crossfinger: Thanks everybody will give that a go................