PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belts

JemP
01-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Well a sit appears that I have lost, or possibly eaten one of my seatbelts - how it disappeared from a single lock up garage is a mystery - I now have to think about buying some new second hand ones. So, will any inertia reel belts do the job?

benherron
01-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Im thinking about seat belts/fasteners adm too, I want to mount the belts before i put the body back on so i use one of the body mounting bolts to mount the bottom belt ring to. And it means i can work around the top mounting area easier.
But as the body isnt on im not 100% sure on the seating position and thus worried whether to buy ones with short or long stalks...

My question to add to Jemp's...... are the clips/catches/plugs universal to the belts?

....so if i buy a set of inertia selts and get long/short stalks with it and find out they're too long/short, will i be able to find the correct length stalk without having to buy all new belts?

Hope that makes sence.... :dunce:

MicksRedNova
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I have inertia reel belts fitted to MicksRedNova. I welded a vertical plate to the chassis, near the rear jacking point, and bolted through the tub for the bottom mount point. The top mount is backed by a 6" square of 3mm stainless plate, just as the tub begins to curve behind the seat, about 3 inches down from the canopy lip. The belts I used (Nissan I think) had a long (about 8") stalk which, when mounted to the original tunnel bolt point, put the buckle about half way across my stomach (no mean feat :laugh: ) so I drilled a new hole right through the tunnel some distance behind the original (avoiding the internal cables and gear lever rod) and put a very long bolt through.

By using this method you can probably use any belts you can find, but I suggest you have the seats fitted first, just to make sure the position you choose is comfortable and works OK. Don't forget that inertia belts need to be orientated correctly (in 3 planes) to extend, retract and lock properly.

Mick

CyCo
02-06-2010, 08:13 AM
My inertia reel seatbelts sound similar mounted to MRNs. However, I should point out that at least here in Oz, it is possible to find different types of 'buckle mechanisms'. And they don't work with each other. Oh, and the stalks on mine, well there's a story, and one was longer than the other (like MNR). And I've been trying to get a replacement for months (sporadically). Yet to be successful.

JemP
02-06-2010, 09:15 PM
There are plenty of different buckles and stalks out there. I've narrowed down my drivers belt to being either MG or Austin. I'm okay with mounts as obviously the seatbelts were there when I drove the car home.
Does anyone know if intertia belts are handed? my belts fit at a bit of an angle, so if the inertia bit is affected by the bult body being on a tilt that could cause a problem.
Second hand seat belts on ebay are a bit pricey!!

ChrisBailey
03-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I had a brand new pair of belts, They were brown and I didnt like the war the buckle catch and reel fitted, personallly I prefer harnesses, so I binned them, if you had posted thins about a month ago you could of had them for free, cost me nothing, ugly colour though.
if the belts are gonna cos you over 60 quid you can get harnesses cheaper.

benherron
03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Harnesses would be cool for about a fortnight, then I'd get the hump having to clipping in each time, sitting on the buckles etc etc.

Alzax3
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Yup, I had the chance of a pair of Cobra seats with full 5 point harness for 20 last week and decided I couldn't be arsed with faffing with the harness......

ChrisBailey
03-06-2010, 09:45 PM
What?
You have a nova and are fussed about the way you get into the car and belt up?
You do have a nova right?
:crylol:
It takes about 20 seconds to put the buckles together, once they are adjusted they are done.
With the reel belts I found the belt strapped across my face and if I had a crash they would be completly pointless.

Dirk
03-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm with Alex on this one, I could not be doing with a harness. If you belt was hitting your face it was'nt fitted right. I'm not sure what mine are but they are fine.

Dirk

JemP
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Harness? They're for horses arent they? :) No, I want seat belts, just plain old seat belts. I threw out the belt cover fitted to my belt which was bright yellow and said "Turbo" on it though!

Ben
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Hiya JemP

The best I can do http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=univ ... m270.l1313 (http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=universal+inertia+seat+belt&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_odkw=universal+inertia+seat+belt&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313)

Ben

Spacenut
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I just got a set of static belts from Europa Spares. I used to have some old Ford inertial reels in the car, but they locked up all the time because of the poor angle. I looked at how close to the windscreen header rail my face was and reasoned that the best thing is to belt up as tightly as possible, and put all of the controls within easy reach of the driver, rather than having to lean forward to operate remote switches etc.

I was sort of used to it - my old '66 Viva had static belts, and the Barracuda had inertia lap belts with static diagonals (the latter were optional in the USA in 1971). Besides, the first production Countachs all had static harness (often criticised by testers, for reasons outlined by Dirk, Alex, Ben etc.), so why not?

They only cost me 35 at the time, with all the fittings, although the price has gone up a bit now. Still cheaper than inertials though.

Lauren

CyCo
08-06-2010, 03:18 AM
If you need replacement seatbelts here in Oz, or at least NSW, they have to be new items, not second had. One seatbelt (plus all fittings/hardware) costs about $200. I figure that's a cheap price for my (and my passengers) safety.

Just got my replacement stalks. If you're fitting them to a Nova, 220mm works out perfectly. :wink: