PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild

ChrisBailey
06-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi guys,
Im now rebuilding my engine being as my chassis is nearly done, I have completely stripped it down today, and it looks like crap!
The oil was like sludge with all sorts of filings and stones in it, water had deffinatly got in.
The main bearings have worn down to copper so will need replacing, havent looked at the con rod big ends, but they will probly be changed also, cam bearings look OK, no damage to the timing gears or oil pump gears.
However my crank case has seen better days, underneath is pretty corroded, I think at some point somebody has over tightened on of the bolts next to the oil strainer hole which bolts the case togther and broken the bolt hole, when I seperated the case the bolt hole fell apart, I cant get a bolt through that hole anymore, the mating surface is not damaged but I am concerned on this leaking oil when I bolt everything back up.
Should I look for a new crank case?
Ill post a picture of this later.

ChrisBailey
06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
here is a picture of one of the mains, it was pretty stuck on, Im hoping replacing these will be OK, I dont want the expense of regrinding everything.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l85/eagleSS_2006/IMG00112-20100606-2315.jpg
This is the worse one i think

letterman7
07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
I think the bolt hole is the least of your problems. Those mains are toast - and so probably the con rod ends. Even though everything appears to be fine elsewhere, I would certainly mic everything you can get to just to see if it's even near spec. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance on even trying to rebuild the motor if it's been that trashed. You'll spend as much on parts as you will finding a good used engine. Better still, purchase a short block from a reputable dealer (like Scat) and move all your accessory pieces to it.

ChrisBailey
07-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Yup this motor has been trashed, it ran like crap when i got the car 4 years ago, I have never driven it, only ran the engine a few times, I think the combination of sludge oil and metal fillings did the trick on the bearings.
To be honest I think I will be better off finding another motor, this time with a dog house fan shrouding rather than the type three stuff, The pistons look like brand new though, you can still see where the bores have been honed.
Looks like ebay again.

letterman7
07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
That's a shame. If the piston bores seem good, you can always pull the jugs and the pistons. The hot setup at the moment is using Chevy connecting rods, though I admit I'm not familiar with what all is needed to make that work. If you purchase new con rods, then you can really find a stripped block and start building from scratch rather inexpensively. Good luck!

hildi25
07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Scrape the tops of the pistons to get the piston size just to make sure that you pick up the right block (if you are using the same ones again).

rob

ChrisBailey
07-06-2010, 10:26 PM
OK, well I have another engine now, 1300 single port t1 engine, complete ready to bolt in, runs well, clean and had new push rod tubs and gaskets, well pleased with it, was only down the road from me aswell.
Im going to use my wrecked engine for spares, I will eventually use the 1600 barrels and pistons, heads etc,

Peter
08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
In racing they say "we can make it go as fast as you can afford", much the same with engine rebuilds, I have struck somewhere in the middle area with mine and it still cost a couple of grand just for parts. It is as much show as go but still good for 100bhp+ and over 7k rpm. My dear daughters Baja 1303 had a standard 1300 with big rear tyres and it wouldn't pull the skin off of a rice pudding. Good to know all your 1600 stuff bolts on the 1300 crankcase though. (one day)

http://ukhozi.page.tl/Engine.htm

ChrisBailey
08-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Yup, the only reason I got the 1300 was because I can bolt my 1600 stuff on it, there are loads of 1300s going cheaper on ebay, 1600 engines are fewer and more expensive, the bloke I baught it off is a propper VW nutter aswell, He had 2 litres and 2.3 litre beetles, he said they still wont get much over 100mph though, and to be honest who buys a nova/eagle/beetle to go fast? not unless you have a few 911s lying about.
Main thing is Im another step closer to getting her on the road.

May get the crank reground and put it into a better crank case later, do a propper rebuild on it and use it as a spare engine or maybe sell it.