PDA

View Full Version : no spark

ChrisBailey
13-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Ok, my engine wont start, it started when i baught it, it has a 009 disy, I have put the green wire from the disy to the negtive side of coil, hooked up the positive side to the battery, turned over but wont fire, seems there is not enought current going through the coil primary, doesnt even spark across the points, but put a volt meter across point and when they are open there is 12.8v, closed = 0volts.
I thought my engine earth was f*&^%ed so I have put two earths on it, still no luck, am i missing something?

letterman7
13-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Coils are meant to up the voltage. If that's all you're getting, then it's not enough. Sounds like the coil itself might be bad - try swapping it for another and see what happens.

ChrisBailey
13-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Thats the voltage measured on the primary, the high tension secondary has the high voltage which i didnt measure, the coil looks like its new and was working fine the day i baught the engine, last week, I can only think of it being a bad earth on the engine, increasing the resistance back to the negative side of the battery.

Alzax3
13-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Um, Unless I'm missing something, you're saying that you have 12.8 volts in the system, it's there across the points, and when they close, it goes to 0? That shows that the points are making a circuit and working fine. When the ignition is on and the points are closed, do you get a good clean spark when you flick the points open? If not, it could be the condensor. Then, with the engine turning over, do you get a spark from the coil HT lead if you 'earth' it to the engine? If you get a good one, the coil's fine. (If you don't get a spark or it's weak, then the coil is poor or the point gaps are set wrong) Then reattach the HT lead to the distributor, pull a plug lead and see if you get a spark to the engine from that. If you don't, it's probably the centre graphite in the cap. If you do, it's going to be either plugs, or timing......

MicksRedNova
13-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Check out page 116 of the Nova modifications manual here:

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/Euro%20Nova% ... manual.pdf (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/Euro%20Nova%20Scans/Modifications_manual.pdf)

There's a really good diagram of the connections you need, and some fault finding tips for ignition systems.

Mick

ChrisBailey
24-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Hi, sussed the problem lastweek, the new coil that came with the engine had packed up, I couldnt believe it, its a new coil and was on the engine running the day before. I think somebody tightened the clamp up too much, squashed the windings together.
stuck on the old coil and she fired up instantly.

Spacenut
24-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I replaced the 30-year old coil on my Droopsnoot with a new one once. Packed up after less than 20 miles use! I was driving down a long incline when all the dash lights lit up like a Christmas tree. I missed the exit off the motorway, but managed to coast for over a mile to the next one, even had enough impetus to get up the slip road. A walk into nearby Horndean, picked up a coil from the scrap pile at the auto repair shop and drove into work. Refitted the old coil that evening and didn't look back!

With thousands of fine guage wire turns in the secondary windings, its quite easy for even a brand new coil to go open circuit. I keep a selection of old ignition coils handy, just in case :D

Glad you got the problem sorted in the end.

Lauren