PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Hoses and erm...something

bobbybrown
02-07-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a set of hydraulic hoses sitting here doing nothing so I thought I'd sell them to someone who can actually use them.
Pics are below, the hoses come as they are with the fittings on the ends.
I'm wanting offers on these please.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/djmrdg/hose1.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/djmrdg/solenoid1.jpg

Also, I have this. Now, I know I went to a great deal of hassle to source one of these not so long ago, but do you think I can remember what its for?? The box I got it from in the shed says "nova roof", and thats it. I'm thinking its a solenoid for the roof circuit to be honest.

Anyway, if you need one of these and its useful to you, drop me an offer and I'll drop it in the post. Remember, I still make your custom roof wiring looms too if you can't do it yourself :wink:
Here are pictures of the solenoid/alien invention thing: :rofl:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/djmrdg/hose2.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c319/djmrdg/solenoid2.jpg

bobbybrown
02-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Just to add, anything made from these items, I'll stick in the Euro-Nova fund :D

Spacenut
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes, its a starter solenoid, looks like a standard Ford type which was used for both the Cadillac and Smiths hydraulic systems (although in the case of the Cad pump, you would need two solenoids, one for each polarity).

Lauren

bobbybrown
02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Good stuff, I knew you would know what it was :tongue:

Your like a walking encyclopedia :clapping:

bobbybrown
03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Bump to the top of the search :thumbup:

bobbybrown
06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Anyone interested in these?

bobbybrown
18-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Still got the hoses guys :wink:

NovaF4
19-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Hi. I see that you can build custom roof looms. My Nova worked brilliantly with a loom that I made having followed an original wiring diagram from the Nova Modification Manual (I think) written by a Nova owner (forget who but think he owned a white Nova with unique gull wing doors and often went to the Stoneleigh show).

It was integrated to a remote control receiver hidden inside the drivers side sill. It had two diodes protecting the up and down current. I could choose, with a switch on the dash, if I wanted remote control or manual control (manual control being another switch on the dash). The roof had 'fully closed' and 'fully open' micro switches. And it ran off my old Smiths pump.

The only thing wrong with my old set up was that the pump was too noisy.

At some stage soon I will be purchasing a quiet pump. I still need to decide which one to go for, but my existing loom will either need to be started again or modifying because the quiet pumps work differently to the odl Smiths pump.

If I can't get hold of a wiring diagram for my new application or if I have trouble understanding how to incorporate my remote control receiver into a new loom would you be interested in creating a wiring diagram or making the whole loom for me?

Giles.

jimcub
19-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a wiring diagram for the smiths quiet pack, which incorperates 2 relays and has worked well for me.

bobbybrown
19-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm sure it could be modified, if not its easy enough to make from scratch as long as you know exactly what you want.

When the time comes I'll be happy to help.

Now, someone buy my hoses :rofl:

NovaF4
19-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm sure it could be modified, if not its easy enough to make from scratch as long as you know exactly what you want.

When the time comes I'll be happy to help.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for when the time comes.

MicksRedNova
19-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Giles

Check out my homepage (and various posts on here) for details of an alternative to fitting a Smiths pump. I used one from a modern Cabriolet which is quiet, cheap and has done the job for 2 seasons of shows now. Wiring is not much of a change from the original Smiths.

Mick

bobbybrown
19-08-2010, 10:22 PM
And another bonus with that route, I have personal experience of fitting and wiring a cabriolet pump. Quiet yet effective I found.

NovaF4
20-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Giles

Check out my homepage (and various posts on here) for details of an alternative to fitting a Smiths pump. I used one from a modern Cabriolet which is quiet, cheap and has done the job for 2 seasons of shows now. Wiring is not much of a change from the original Smiths.

Mick

And another bonus with that route, I have personal experience of fitting and wiring a cabriolet pump. Quiet yet effective I found.

That all sounds great thanks. I saw your website a few days ago Mick and noticed the pump you had used with interest. What's the negative and positive holding pressure like? My old Smiths pump was excellent at both which I feel is crucial - my roof was held down really tight which stopped it bouncing and moving around and when in the up position it stayed up (once I had sorted new seals for the rams).

I'm aware that some pumps 'whine' and the whine can change pitch as the roof speeds up/slows down during it's travel. Dee Jay Harry's roof wined like this and I didn't like it at all. Other quiet pumps I have 'heard' have a fairly mid range, constant pitch sound which is more like what I'd want. As quiet as possible really with a constant 'sound'. Difficult to explain really.

It also needs to have a good smooth up speed and smooth controlled down speed. I've seen some roofs which go up like a fighter jet canopy being ejected! And go down like a clam trapping a fish for dinner (i.e. instant).

How do your roofs stack up to those descriptions?

When the time comes I will read as much as I can about roof pumps on this forum and thanks for both your offer for helping me with the wiring. I have been thinking about buying a pump from this website. What do you think?

http://www.fluidlink.co.uk/index.htm

jimcub
20-08-2010, 11:15 AM
the amps rating for some of the small pumps seems very high, over 200 amps for the 12v for the slimline model. But there may be others that I have not seen yet.

MicksRedNova
22-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Giles

Check out this thread which includes a video of my roof going up and down. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=634&start=15 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=634&start=15) . Holding pressure is not brilliant, it drops from fully open to closed in about 4-5 hours, but I use a couple of copper sleeves round the pistons to hold it up at shows. Hold down is quite good, I normally press the button about every 10 miles on a journey to stop the rubber seal squeaking, but it doesn't go loose at all.

I did make a video of various Nova roofs going up and down at Stoneleigh, with timings, I think its on the site here somewhere.

Mick

Spacenut
23-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I got the prize for the longest cycle time :blushing:

Vasco Da Gamer
23-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Reckon you have competition from me on cycle time now Lauren :bleh:

I have seen that video several times - I think the Pink Passion won hands down.

bobbybrown
24-08-2010, 10:08 AM
This would be the video you are referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMC8hzAatI0&feature=search

MicksRedNova
27-08-2010, 08:05 PM
That's the one - thanks Dan :clapping:

It looks a lot better in full DV quality as I filmed it rather than the YouTube version though. :bleh:

Mick

bobbybrown
26-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Still got this stuff in my shed :facepalm:

bobbybrown
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Been well over a year since the last post in this thread but, I still have them so if anyone wants them pm me with an offer and ill ship them off to you. I have no use for them and its a shame to see them sitting here doing nothing :)