PDA

View Full Version : Red Eagle SS project

Alzax3
13-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Looks to have an intact screen, no reserve and starts at £19.99 - but it's probably a blank canvas (unbuilt so obviously not been registered) - so buy it and find out if it will get through an IVA?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-EAGLE-KIT-CAR- ... 3f016cec74 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-EAGLE-KIT-CAR-SS-SERIES-2-/270606855284?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f016cec74)

Big Birds Car
13-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Thats not too far from me but the strange thing is that it is a Ford based kit with VW kit bonnet so I would be wondering what the donor is meant to be, if VW then fine just a rebody but if Cortina then IVA.

Talking of IVA, I know someone who has had his Pilgrim Sumo Cobra fail 4 times now on the screen surround and the new tester refused to test it the last time saying that he knew that when passed and finished that the owner would remove all the rubber padding and it would then be illegal. (they did grind and reshape the surround and re-chrome the last time but still has some rubber strips on it as well) I actually told him to contest this, as it is the same as an MOT in that you can only test what you see and not what you think the owner is going to do later, for instance remove silencers or swap wheels etc. after the test (not me but I do know of a few that do).

The reason for mentioning it is that if any of you are thinking of IVA then be VERY sure that what you do to pass is not ambiguous or you could end up never passing the test. The owner of the Sumo is trying to get Pilgrim cars (or whoever they are now) to put in a bit of representation to VOSA but if it all falls down he will be selling a car that only needs the screen surround sorting, however a DAX screen doesn't fit.
So in conclusion the old addage of if it isn't on the car they can't test it has now been blown away, thank goodness I got my other kit done just in time.

Spacenut
13-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Its just so subjective - this IVA tester has clearly decided that no amount of work will get this car through. The owner would be better off taking the car as it is to another IVA test station, although that unfortunately means driving halfway across the country...

The MoT is equally subjective, there are merely less items to be tested...

Lauren

benherron
13-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Think it's a series 2 Vw based body, not just bonnet. The chassis is ford but you cud always weight that in and buy a beetle one. Thing is all his brouhure pics are of the aeries 2 economy (I.e mine) differences being the nose cap and the door pins recessed into the kick panel.

Big Birds Car
13-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Lauren, they have thought about going elsewhere but for them you are not far wrong on the distance and then what happens if this is something that all the testers are now looking at.

The MOT is very subjective and I am very happy with the one I go to as he knows me, the cars and the kids cars, he is very fair (after one expensive hiccup years ago) and I get a discount plus can take a car in fairly late and they will still do it. I have in the past left a car there for a couple of days. If one does fail then he gives 7 days free re-test, now I know you can have up to 10 I believe but there again the garages often like to try to get the work for themselves, this place does no repair work at all so have nothing to gain from failing something.

Benherren, If it is a series TWO or Beetle based body then he would have a lot of work to fit it to the Ford chassis, my one is Ford based and is near enough a monocoque, in fact I think with some extra bracing it would be ok just to bolt front and rear clips on it.
If anyone is serious about this car then I would advise a visit or get the guy to take a load more photo's to ensure you know what you are getting. Still it could be fine if beetle based so don't let that put anyone off and at least it isn't butchered to death like most.

CyCo
13-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't whinge too loudly, us poor sods in Oz have to take a complete car to an engineer to pass it, before it's allowed on the road (often at various stages of build too). So, if it's meant to have a windscreen (lets face it, most do), then it has to be fitted. And then there's the wipers and squirters. Another example, if it's got obvious room for two seats, like our Nova/Eureka/Stirlings, then both have to be fitted to pass engineering (and seat belts). I've been reading how you lot over there only mount one seat to pass it through the engineering stage (as an example), and just shake my head.

You've been feeding off the silverware all along, only now it looks like you're being told it's plastic disposables for you from now on. However, I hope that never comes for your sakes.

benherron
13-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeh the chassis is the rotten egg of the buy, if the body has been modified already for it then the kit is worthless. Thus if u buy it and it aint been chopped up, chuck the chassis and buy a beetle one. IVA wise (for both types) I think last time it was discussed there were two issues, headlights wud be high enough if you kept the Porsche lights, but I seem to remember someone saying the minimum seat belt mounting height (from the floorpan) wud need to be above the roof-line. And the doors need a double catching mechanism like modern gullwings. Dunno if the dvla wud review the kit, and pass it if it was up to an agreed apon mechanical standard?!?

Big Birds Car
13-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Still don't need IVA for a re-body just an inspection of parts to make sure that the chassis hasn't been modified and that it is also using the original beetle engine, box, steering etc. then you get the registration of the donor back and have a month to get it mot'd and away you go, and as the MOT only wants to see seatbelts fitted and working they are not concerned at what height they are at. The lights could be an issue at MOT time if you don't use the pop ups but as you say the pop ups pass so not an issue.
If the body is the beetle one then you would need to add more glassfibre tio get it to fit the Ford chassis so still not a dead duck for this kit but as said before do a lot of checking first.