PDA

View Full Version : Motorized wheelbarrow

Alzax3
21-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Talked about this one with Lauren on Sunday - all very nice and historical, made famous by Top Gear, and at the time it was taking bids and had reached £16,500 reserve not met. It obviously didn't reach the reserve, and is now on at a buy-it-now of £25,000........... :coat: insert 'bah-humbug' emoticon of your choice.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RL:GB:1123 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180535423080&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:GB:1123)

Spacenut
21-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow - that is a nice restoration, although I wouldn't want to pay £25k for it. Officially the world's smallest car, although the Brusch Mopetta is allegedly even smaller, and certainly less comfortable!

I prefer the Peel Trident myself, but you can't drive one of those without a passenger or the optional shopping basket to counterbalance the offset driving position (the Trident was a 2-seater).

Both made on the Isle of Man. Peel also tried building a proper 4-wheeled car, but the Viking was not a commercial success...

Lauren

JemP
23-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Thats a lot of money for a moped

ChrisBailey
26-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi, I found a tiny two seater, its a project but is much cheaper than the peel p50.
looks like a miniture warp 8, well it has some of the features LOL.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-tici-yellow- ... 19be29ba69 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-tici-yellow-/110564588137?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item19be29ba69)

Alzax3
26-07-2010, 07:02 PM
GAD - I feel vulnerable enough in traffic when driving the Nova - stick two people in one of these motorised Moses baskets and REALLY hope nothing runs into you!

Spacenut
26-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Haha! Brilliant - an original TiCi (pronounced "titchy"). Mini based (were'nt all 1970's city car concepts?), but with the subframe at the rear, mid-engined, 2-seater. I think they were made in 1973. I'd still rather have a Towns Microdot, but with a modern Smart car engine package rather than the electric drive originally schemed.

There again, what about French microcars - there's a whole plethora of them, exploiting the local regulations that allow 16 year olds to drive a car - provided it has an engine of less than 50cc!

Erad, Ligier (yes, the same one that did the JS2) etc.

How about a Ligier Nova???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ova_01.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Ligier_Nova_01.jpg)

:clapping:

Lauren

vpogv
28-07-2010, 06:39 PM
The Top Gear episode was by far one of the best ones I have seen. Hilarious.

JemP
29-07-2010, 12:35 PM
But as ever, totally missing the point of the car. Unless its costs £100,000+ Top Gear don't take any car seriously. Why have they not taken the fastest (British) car around their race track? The Ultima would gobble up all of those Italian and German supercars but they won't do it!

Alzax3
29-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Perhaps Mr Clarkson realises he won't be able to squeeze behind the wheel and doesn't want the world to know? :whistling:

Spacenut
29-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Why have they not taken the fastest (British) car around their race track? The Ultima would gobble up all of those Italian and German supercars but they won't do it!

But they have - or at least Ultima have taken their car round the Top Gear track. There's plenty of stuff on the 'Tube on that. Posted a very fast time too.

Its not the price that TG discriminate against, its kit cars. Witness... the Hawk Stratos debacle, where the Stig deliberately posted the slowest time ever by spinning twice during the lap. TG may be more about entertainment than serious motoring reviews these days, but there are still plenty of prestige car manufacturers who are happy for Jezza et al to endorse their products. You can't give that kind of publicity to struggling kit car manufacturers now, can you?

Lauren

JemP
30-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Exactly, Ulitma have taken it round, not Top Gear, they'll take that Koensiegeggegeeggegegg thing round whilst laughing t its name, its a kit car really,but of course its not British, they just fill decent old British cars with water and laugh when the water leaks out, as if a Ferrari is water tight!! I remember they did some feature about buying a used Alfa for £1000, and came to the conclusion (after some stupid stunts like painting one with Dulux!) that you cant, which is stupid, you can. Did I see them destroy a Citroen GS a couple of weeks back - oh how entertaining!!
Rant over :)

Big Birds Car
30-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I have to say they are more entertainers than gerno's now BUT the ultima is a kit car and the Konigzzzzzgggggg isn't it is produced to order for the road and not available as a kit of parts like the Ultima. They did do the Nobles and liked them alot (except for the turning circle).

One thing you really have to remember (if old enough like me) Chris Goffey and the rest of the old gaurd were boring old gits who were more concerned in showing you how to check if your garage had actually changed the bits they said they had than comparing the latest cars etc.

One other bit about top gear and any of these motoring programs is that they can only really do reports on new cars IF there are any new cars in the offing.

Lastly I'm just so jealeous, they have the best jobs a big kid could ask for. :coat:

Spacenut
31-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Exactly, Ulitma have taken it round, not Top Gear, they'll take that Koensiegeggegeeggegegg thing round whilst laughing t its name, its a kit car really,but of course its not British, they just fill decent old British cars with water and laugh when the water leaks out, as if a Ferrari is water tight!! I remember they did some feature about buying a used Alfa for £1000, and came to the conclusion (after some stupid stunts like painting one with Dulux!) that you cant, which is stupid, you can. Did I see them destroy a Citroen GS a couple of weeks back - oh how entertaining!!
Rant over :)

It was worse than that, it was a Citroen CX!

The Dulux painted Alfa 75 that Jezza bought for the TG Alfa challenge is now the prized possession of an AROC member. Called "Minty" for obvious reasons, it goes to shows up and down the country, which I suppose proves your point.

I thought the tests were a little odd, but I was happy with the outcome of the BL challenge - and the Princess was a 2.2 litre E-series straight-6, not the usual 4-cylinder O-series lump :thumbup:

I think you have to accept that TG don't like kit cars and they never have. As far as they are concerned, they are put together by amateurs (a "spanner with a hammer" as Jezza put it), and therefore cannot hope to compete with their mass-produced peers. Even Noble were from a "shed in Leicester" (they just repeated the M15 test on Dave this afternoon).

BBC is right though - it may be stupid a lot of the time, but we have to watch it every week!

Lauren

JemP
01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I have to say they are more entertainers than gerno's now BUT the ultima is a kit car and the Konigzzzzzgggggg isn't it is produced to order for the road and not available as a kit of parts like the Ultima. They did do the Nobles and liked them alot (except for the turning circle).

One thing you really have to remember (if old enough like me) Chris Goffey and the rest of the old gaurd were boring old gits who were more concerned in showing you how to check if your garage had actually changed the bits they said they had than comparing the latest cars etc.

One other bit about top gear and any of these motoring programs is that they can only really do reports on new cars IF there are any new cars in the offing.

Lastly I'm just so jealeous, they have the best jobs a big kid could ask for. :coat:

How many new car models were released last year? probably hundreds, yet the likes of Vauxhall, Toyota or Renault won't get a mention, yet Fiat release yet another boring badly made car with a Ferrari badge on it and they're drooling over it! Fifth Gear is a far better program for people interested in cars that they might actually get to own or drive.

Unfortunately the Top Gear presenters have become so wealthy from the program, they no longer live in the real world, referring to a Lamborrari as being "only £83,000" or whatever. And from all accounts Jeremy Clarkson is quite poor at driving fast!!

You're right Lauren it was a CX, they're hardly plentiful on the road, and deserve better treatment than that one got.

I tend to bump into Top Gear whilst flicking through the channels, but wouldnt make a point of watching it, cringing as Hammond tries so hard to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, strangling vowels and even using his ".........in the world!" line - why?

Big Birds Car
02-08-2010, 12:37 AM
How many new car models were released last year? probably hundreds

Errr Jemp we are in a recession you know. Changing the interior of an old car doesn't make it a new one, I think you maybe a little over the top with hundreds.

I doubt we will agree on this as I can't stand fifth gear and miss it on purpose.

JemP
02-08-2010, 09:31 AM
So why keep featuring the Bugatti Veyron? We are in a recession and just because they've painted bits of it orange doesnt make it a new car either! The number of different "new" Ferraris featured must mean Ferrari bring out a new car every second episode of Top Gear. I see in my TV Times that last night episode featured yet another new Ferrari, something called a 458 - Is that a new car, or is it the same one released last year with a couple of new buttons and a stripe!

Spacenut
02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
No, its a new car. So is the Veyron with the orange bits, although it is superficially similar to the old one.

You are right Jem, we are in a recession. This is why those of us who can only dream of owning such machines indulge in a bit of escapism. Otherwise we would be bored to tears by sensible consumer advice about VW Golfs. Because I have no intention of buying any kind of sensible car, out of preference I choose escapism :sorry:

Only saw a bit of TG last night, but the JH/TVR-S2/Elan challenge looks interesting. I shall fire up the i-player later...

Lauren

Vasco Da Gamer
02-08-2010, 01:38 PM
:clapping:

Ed Strakerism every time !!

Having said that, both escapism cars are off the road right now, so perhaps there is something to be said for "proper" cars :wink: .

Steve

P.S. I liked the Eclat with a rocket shaped 'motorhome attachment' in a recent episode.

JemP
02-08-2010, 02:36 PM
So the 458 released lasy year was a different car? Ferrari re-using their model numbers now? And why have Volkswagen built a brand new bugatti Veyron which looks absolutely identical to the last one? That doesnt make any sense at all. Even less reason for watching Top Gear methinks! I liked the thought of the british classics feature, but somehow got the feeling it would be trashed by the three idiots going on about how the British motor industry created the worst cars........in the wuuuuurld!

letterman7
02-08-2010, 05:27 PM
We got a little off topic here from the initial post, but that's alright. While TG sometimes fails to take itself seriously, it is one of the more entertaining shows available here in the States. They dare to do things and test in places that producers here would not or could not do. So what if it's mostly rubbish - it's an hour to unhook the brain!

JemP
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Agreed, but when my son said to me whilst watching it "oh god! Not another bloody Ferrari!" You realise its run out of steam now, and my sons only 13 and his favourite car is a 246 Dino Spyder!

Spacenut
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
So the 458 released lasy year was a different car? Ferrari re-using their model numbers now? And why have Volkswagen built a brand new bugatti Veyron which looks absolutely identical to the last one? That doesnt make any sense at all. Even less reason for watching Top Gear methinks! I liked the thought of the british classics feature, but somehow got the feeling it would be trashed by the three idiots going on about how the British motor industry created the worst cars........in the wuuuuurld!

No, I think it is the same car - the 458 Italia. Its only just made it to the UK for test though.

Why did VW make a new Veyron look identical to the old one? They have no imagination!

Don't worry Jem - I've watched the whole thing now and the British sportscars came out rather well.

Lauren

JemP
03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Excellent, so no lame jokes about cars made out of fibreglass like canoes :) And no banging into each other pretending the brakes didnt work, or opening the door and hitting James Mays car - tedious old joke that one!
I'll fire up the iplayer thingy and have a look, it was a feature I wanted to watch.
Its good we all like different programmes about cars, its like comedy, we don't all like the same, after all some people think Friends! is funny!!

JemP
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Oooops, just watched it, lame joke about canoes, and about bits falling off, Ha Ha! so funny! It just makes me want to punch that irritating little runt Hammond!

JemP
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I do agree with Clarkson though, Ferrari havent made a pretty car since the 308!!

ChrisBailey
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Topgear isnt a car show, its an entertainment show, they slag everything and everyone off. Funny how there are many camera shots and angles on something that was just an accident, for example, when hammond raced against the skidoos, then took a short cut and the skidoos jumped over the top of him. Its all set up, only idiots think that it was just brilliant driving and excellent timing.
Clarkson annoys me when he goes on about how newer cars are too computerised, like the nissan gtr, as if thats a bad thing, give it enought time and you will be driving your computer around, its the only step forward.

bushboy
03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
All this negativity is really up setting my karmar.

& thanks for tell me that they are staged stunts........next you will be telling me that santa clause is not real

bushboy

Nic
03-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh Santa's real! but the Easter Bunny isn't.

JemP
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Its funny you should say that BB, I havent seen a decent Karma for sale (at sensible prices) for some time now!

Spacenut
04-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, sorry Jem, I should have mentioned all the lame jokes are in there. But you have to agree there was none of the usual door bashing antics this time. They even raised up the artic trailer for the crash test so that Jezzas JH would slip underneath (shades of a Carling advert from many moons back), when the Citroen AX did not.

The other thing about TG is that although the TV shows are very superficial, they actually front a much larger magazine operation, which does do sensible consumer testing on boring everyday cars. My neighbour bought me a years subscription to TG as a birthday present, and apart from the flashy "first look" section with all of the new releases/concepts/supercars, every month it was Ford Hocus-Focus, Mundane-o, Renault Clio etc. Often these articles were dressed up with a performance slant, sometimes compared with their contemporaries (or in one case, Focus vs. Ford GT), but very sensible nonetheless. In fact, there was so little escapism (and no classics or kit cars, obviously) that I didn't renew my subscription!

Lauren

JemP
04-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Yes, agreed, I actually think they had a bit of respect for those cars, none of which broke down. And wasnt it depressing looking at the empty factories of Jensen and TVR. Almost as depressing as seeing Longbridge flattened!

Francksp
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Really depressing was trying to deal with the receivers at longbridge- but seeing all the cars lined up and going for a song really hit home that it was all over for the place. That said it gave me a £35k car for £16k

Regards

Paul