PDA

View Full Version : Clutch again!

ChrisBailey
27-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Hi, I am completely lost now.
I swapped the engine in my eagle down to a 1300, it had a 1600 type 3 in it which was FUBAR, however when I have tried putting the clutch in (1300cc clutch which came with engine), it doesnt fit, I baught a 1300 release bearing today, found that didnt fit, so i changed the operating arm to acept the 1300 release bearing, however the bearing still doesnt fit due to the (what I think is home made) bearing guide tube. Now when I remove the guide tube I can see an oil seal, I cant see and holes or bolts for a OEM guide tube to fit, and the one in the shop didnt fit my new 1300 bearing anyway.
I was told the old gearboxes dont have a guide tube, only the newer ones do.
What should the gearbox look like without the guide tube. All I can see is the oil seal and three dodgy (home made) holes in the cross bracing of the bellhousing.
Any ideas?

letterman7
27-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Well, first off a clutch for a 1600 won't fit a 1300 anyway, the flywheel is a different size. So you'll need to put a 1600 (200mm) clutch on the 1300 (180mm) flywheel - no easy task. You can swap flywheels, but I've never tried that. I think there is some sort of rule that needs to be followed for that to work correctly; I'll see if I can hunt it down.

ChrisBailey
27-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Yer i know the 1600 clutch wont fit the 1300, I have both.
I am just confused on what clutch release bearing to use, there is a home made bearing guide which leads me to believe somebody tried to upgrade the old gearbox to fit the 1600 engine.
I dont know what my gearbox comes from, to be honest the whole car is a mismatch of different decades.
Can you fit any size engine 1300 or 1600 to a type 1 gearbox?

Peter
27-07-2010, 10:54 PM
You can physically fit any VW air cooled engine to any VW air cooled gearbox, it is the bits in between that are the problem. 1200. 1300. 1500. 1600 to swing or IRS box as in 1302 & 1303, they all have the same four stud fitting. What you must do is match up the correct clutch, flywheel, arm, thrust and starter, Flywheels will fit all cranks apart from late 8 pins but you can get a kit to change that, later gearboxes had a guide tube for the thrust bearing, removing it and changing the arm allows for the early bearing but I would advise using the late type which means a late clutch, I have an early AH 1600 type II engine on a 1303 box with swing arm suspension, a Kennedy 1700 clutch and a late thrust and hydraulic operating cylinder, so all things are possible.

ChrisBailey
27-07-2010, 11:10 PM
OK cheers for that
I think i have sussed it, I have an early gearbox, it has no guide tube, however somebody has made one and drilled tiny little holes into the gearbox to make it fit. I am going to leave this home made tube off and use the 1300 release bearing which is thinner than the 1600 (I have both to compare). I have also swapped the operating arm back over to accept the older type 1300 bearing.
The only part i am missing now then is the clips that hold the bearing on the fork.
anybody know where I can get these, do GSF do them?
thanks alot.

MicksRedNova
28-07-2010, 10:07 AM
The only part i am missing now then is the clips that hold the bearing on the fork.
anybody know where I can get these, do GSF do them?
thanks alot.

New ones came with my new clutch from GSF, but I don't know if they do them as separate items.

Mick

Peter
31-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Clips are a standard part,
All you would need is here
hhttp://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetl ... lateID=vwh (hhttp://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle-Parts/Gearbox/Clutch/?templateID=vwh)