PDA

View Full Version : Think i might be in trouble

jestertopdog
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Hi all, as the title says.
Iv had the nova maybe 4 years and never declered it sorn, i got a form today to do the right thing but it appears i might be fined a minimum £1000
On reading a bit further i understand that if the car was last taxed aftr 98 it needs to be decleared, now i looked at the disc in the window and its a bit faded but its date is 99 and it says NIL in the duty bit.,
The cars a 69 on the book so am i right in thinking that 25 years of paying for tax till 94 and then free tax till 99 when the last disc was put in
the screen. Will i be ok do you think? or am i in deep do do :cry:

bushboy
05-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Just declair SORN now & cop the £80 fine. Happened to me last year cause I forgot to declair & VW I have the log book for.

If they are un reasonable they might sting you for the back tax!!!!

Good luck

bushboy

Peter
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
"If your vehicle was last taxed before 31 January 1998" so date on tax disc expires 31 01 1999 there is no problem, as with mine but if it was taxed after 01/02/1998, you should have SORN ed it every year or paid the tax, if it is tax exept that would be NIL. But there might still be a fine to pay.
Peter

JemP
06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Just SORN it, you probably wont get a fine at all. Worst case is as BB says, £80 fine, and 10 years of back tax, which is £0

Alzax3
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
We had that with a Moggy Traveller I'm slowly restoring - realised we hadn't re-sorn it, saw all the potential penalties on the DVLA website when we tried to do it on line - Liz phoned them in the morning and got a Welsh lass who basically said: 'we're not really interested in the tax exempt classics, they don't bring in any revenue - get it finished, MOT it and re-tax it then.'

bushboy
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
At the end of the day, as always, it about money, & how much they can "legally" drag out of your pocket!!!

bushboy

Dirk
06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
When I took my Nova off the road in 2006 I sent off a SORN, and I thought once it was SORN it was SORN I did not realise that you have to do it each year. When I Taxed it this year (on-line) a comment came up saying you this vehicle not has been Taxed or SORN since blah and we might be contacting you or words to that effect. Iíve not heard anything and they took my money!!. I would say just SORN it and hope for the best.

Dirk

ChrisBailey
08-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I wouldnt worry about it, my car was not sorne, i got the same message, but nothing happens.
My dad didnt even declare his 2000 reg 4x4 off the road, 5 years later he taxed it as normal, no issues.
Its a crap system and really should be abandoned.

jestertopdog
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I think what i will do is get my paperwork together and take it to the dvla local branch and see what thay say :crossfinger:

JemP
09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Personally I wouldnt do that, there's no point in raising a potential problem with people who don't really understand unless you tell them.....so don't tell them.
Just send in the form to SORN it, or just go online and SORN it, nothing will happen, they'll just SORN it. If by some strange fluke they pick up on the fact that it hasnt been SORN'd then they'll send you a letter asking for £80 (They dont want to start going through massive long expensive cases by trying to issue bigger fines, which people will fight, leading to cost! Remember the DVLA is a revenue generation agency, and a quick and easy £80 is acceptable for them), however its unlikely.
Let them do all the work (which they won't do because it costs money) and not you! Just SORN here

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... clare+SORN (http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Declare+SORN)

ChrisBailey
09-08-2010, 03:18 PM
yer just sorn it, it has happened to me many times and never once fined.
If you tell the DVLA about it they will want £80, its like your admitting it and ready to pay.

jestertopdog
03-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Just a quick update, i took all your advice and sent off the form, if i hear anything i will let you know.
Thanks all for the wisdom :cheers:

JemP
03-09-2010, 02:44 PM
At the end of the day, as always, it about money, & how much they can "legally" drag out of your pocket!!!

bushboy

Or illegally! I've managed to get the DVLA to drop their "fines" on a vehicle where I'd advised them of a change of owner, and they say they never recieved it. The law is fully on my side, and has even been proven in court on a number of occasions. But you are spot on BB, its simply about money!

jestertopdog
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Well, your advice was spot on, thanks everyone, i got a letter from DVLA yesterday saying thanks for declaring the car.
Nothing said about a fine or anything so think i may be in the clear.
:crossfinger: :clapping: :cheers: