PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Avante

Alzax3
09-09-2010, 08:21 PM
No comments on the mods, Avantes don't come up that often so if you're after one, here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avante-Kit-car-19 ... 27b4dd9611 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avante-Kit-car-1983-yellow-custom-features-Rare-/170538145297?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item27b4dd9611)

djee87
09-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow, it's a shame to see this particular Avante on eBay...

This Avante is the one that was sold a few years back when it was looking in pretty good condition:

http://www.priceofhistoys.com/category/avante/

The chap who owned my Avante Mk1 once (Norman Harris) also had this one too at the same time, and he spent a lot of money and effort in building them both up to a high standard. It's such a shame that nothing has been done to it since he sold it, I sure hope somebody has the time to do it! :-) Anyone interested???

Dave

jimcub
09-09-2010, 11:27 PM
No speed bumps for that one then, but a 69 chassis but is reg as a 83.

djee87
10-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Hmm interesting one there, I'd noticed that too...

This must have been one of the very few original facotry built Avante's which got registered properly by the Clewlows as an Avante, and was given an age-related plate by the DVLA. Other Avante's that were sold as kits by the company got registered as an Avante with a Q-plate (once the buyer had built the kit themselves), and some managed to keep the reg of the donor beetle and remained registered as a Volkswagen (to remain tax exempt).

So that would mean that this Avante was made by the Clewlows at the factory in 1983, using the floorpans and running gear from a 1969 beetle...

Thats what I'm guessing anyway, am I right with this???

Dave

Francksp
11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Dave

I could be wrong on this one as I don't know the cut off date, but as long as you used reconditioned parts and could prove it you could get a new plate eg "A" inb this case. The Avante was offered as factory built with reconditioned parts, so it might be one of these.

Around this time I was working for a haulage company called Bees transport- they had an impressive fleet of obsolete ACE Mercury MK4s that they rebuilt on a four year cycle. The only new parts were the front axle and cab- this then got a new plate. A few years later I noticed a couple on Q plates so the loop hole may have been closed.

The car on E-bay looks in good condition with no water damage visible inside so it could be a good buy for some one.

Question to all- I notice that a lot of Avantes have had headlights swaps- are the standard ones poor?

Regards

Paul

Alzax3
12-09-2010, 07:38 PM
It could be to avoid the 'pop-down' flaps, it could be because the standard lamps were poor like the Novas (Capri Units aren't too terrible, but sticking them behind angled perspex makes them REALLY feeble!) Othewise it's the constant 'bringing the design up to date' tendency which you either love or loathe...... :annoyed:

JemP
13-09-2010, 08:09 PM
The original lights were poor, and like the Nova, inset into the body leaving big dark areas. Also the flappy bits had a very basic arrangement, and wore down which forced one to end up lower than the other.
Personally, I got rid of mine simply because I dont like them !

djee87
20-09-2010, 10:27 AM
£740... Was it any of you guys??? :-P Hope this poor Avante see's the road again one day, like I said before there's been a lot of time and effort gone into it already.

Francksp
20-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Some one looks to have a bargin at that price

Paul

JemP
20-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Damn, thats a bargain!! If only I had the a) room and b) money!

djee87
22-09-2010, 12:03 PM
You got yourself a bargain too Paul :-) How you getting on with your's by the way?

Jem - I've got plenty of space if you're ever tempted to buy another project, but I can't help you out with money though! :-P Have you got your new screen yet?

Francksp
27-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Dave

Saving up for a long reach engine crane and engine stand at the moment. My house has now been emptied so will be looking for tennants shortly.

The standard jib length of the folding cranes is too short for a mid engined set up - an overhead gantry would be best by Vicky would be less than impressed if I tried that one!

Clarke do a 1.5m jib on their LR crane- £211 from Machine mart so might get one for my 50th birthday at the end of October- fingers crossed. If not I might wait for the January sales

Paul

jimcub
29-09-2010, 11:40 PM
I had one of those cable lifters, bit like the front of a staka truck. to extend the jib I used a larger peice of sustansial tube to slide over the solid bar. with a 3/8 peice of flat bar welded end on with holes that had a hook bolted to it, worked a charm on my landy gearbox.

Alzax3
30-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Definitely worth shopping around for the Clarke crane, I got mine a couple of years back (for tractor engine lifting, as the smaller one I'd had just wheezed and buckled! :help: ) but the list was over £200 and I found it for £106.... RESULT! :D