PDA

View Full Version : MX5 seats

jim73vw
10-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi all,
Have a pair of MX5 seats tucked away that I had sourced for the Nova.

As we all know these suit the Nova really well, and I loved the set in 'Nena' . Will sort some pics soon, they are black cloth and headrest speakers etc.

If you are interested pm me, looking at what they keep going for on e-bay looking for offers around 150

islandman
12-12-2010, 04:10 AM
Jim,

I may be interested, but I do have a few questions first to see if they would fit in my floor pan drops. My floor pan drops are about 5" deep and are wider at the back than they are at the front (if memory serves me well as my notes taken don't make sense). The width rear at the rear is 46cm and then moving forward by about 15 cm it narrows to a width of 42.5cm.

What is the width of the MX5 seat at the rear (including any adjustment handles / wheels etc.)?
and what is the width at the front?

jim73vw
12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
The floors in my Nova are dropped around 4" and they slot in fine. When I get into the garage next will take some pics and measurements for you.

jim73vw
13-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Here are some pics - they need a good hoover (or any other brand of vacuum!):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5258661120_271ea16678.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5130/5258051859_2b4fb1e261.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5242/5258660472_db3a3f0fd3.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5122/5258051169_92d55e4ecd.jpg

At the widest the seat is 49.5 cm, this is at the rear, where the tilt mechanism is. At the front the widest point is 48 cm, but this is not at the base, but 20cm up, ie where the squab widens - the pic shows it well. At the back the wide point is around 15-20cm from the base.

Looking at the base from underneath, as per photo above the runners are 38cm outside edge to outside edge. At the front the actual seat is 43cm wide, and at the rear 45cm. So they widen as they go up.

Hope this helps!?

When are you at leewards for paint? I am only a few mins from him if it helps?

islandman
14-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Jim,

Based on your measurements it seems they may be too wide for my floor pans (which makes me wonder what i did differently from others?). Also the base seems like it has a very big recess in it making them sit quite high?

My current seats are flat at the base and not too thick so I get maximum headroom, but I was looking for something more finished that would slot it and keep the headroom. Sadly these don't look like they fit the bill :(

I had initially intended to be at Leewards in January, but her in doors is suffering from the same problem as Sarah with a bump in the middle! So I've been banned from traveling to the UK until June (just happens to coincide with Newark :afro: ) which is when I will strip the car and take it to Dorian.

If you still have the seats then I can take a look, but totally understand its not likely as you are looking to get shot of them.

Thanks for the measurements and pictures :clapping:

jim73vw
14-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Not a problem Islandman, double check with me in June just in case !

Up for grabs still folks !

jimcub
14-12-2010, 10:07 PM
i found the runners sat very flat I had to flatten out as they sat too close to the floor, i have mine on brace bars and there is no room to get my hnad underneath.

jim73vw
14-12-2010, 10:22 PM
I had initially intended to be at Leewards in January, but her in doors is suffering from the same problem as Sarah with a bump in the middle!

Oops - forgot to say - congratulations :clapping:

islandman
15-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Oops - forgot to say - congratulations :clapping:

Thanks, this is the second.....and I can definately tell you that life won't be the same after!

islandman
15-12-2010, 02:28 AM
i found the runners sat very flat I had to flatten out as they sat too close to the floor, i have mine on brace bars and there is no room to get my hnad underneath.

Jim I wouldnt use the runners as I bolt the seats directly to the floor to get every additional inch of headroom. I'm 6' 5" so every little helps

jim73vw
15-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Jim I wouldnt use the runners as I bolt the seats directly to the floor to get every additional inch of headroom. I'm 6' 5" so every little helps
I did the same in Nena, new owner couldn't reach pedals though!

JemP
15-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Thats a selling point, its a truly bespoke car!! :)

JemP
15-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm glad you posted those pics Jim, I was considering an upgrade to MX5 seats, and that base does look quite deep. I've seen your video Islandman where you cut and shut the Recaro seats, they are VERY shallow in the base. Was it a lot of work to narrow those seats?

islandman
15-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Actually the cut n shut on the Recaro's was quite straightforward as the structure of the seats was quite substantial in the first place. The only reason I'm possibly looking for alternatives is because I have to have them quite reclined to accommodate my height. Whilst they support my lower back when reclined I still feel I'm holding myself forward and they need to curve round more to support my upper back and head (hard to explain). If I cannot find an alternative I will probably live with them and have then retrimmed.

JemP
15-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Excellent explanation :) Which Ford were they out of? I like the idea of those, the base is so shallow. Luckily not needing to be so reclined in the Avante, I think they'd work well. I'll stick with the Rascals for the time being though.

islandman
16-12-2010, 02:33 AM
They were out of a 2.8i Ford Capri! dont see many of them these days :nonono: