PDA

View Full Version : Mk IV molds?

letterman7
08-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Just got a tip that the Mk IV molds have surfaced for sale - haven't seen anything here about it. Anyone have any info?

Spacenut
09-03-2011, 12:48 PM
I thought Alex had all the surviving Nova Mk4 moulds? IIRC these include the canopy and some of the smaller panels... but not the body tub, although Alex did recover the Mk4 body used to develop the tubular chassis.

I will await news of further developments with interest. Perhaps the body moulds survived the scrapyard conflagration!

Lauren

letterman7
09-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Our webmaster on the Sterling forums had received a crypic email from "VF" who was selling molds for a Nova and a McLaren replica. Attached were a few fuzzy, dated photos of what appeared to be a Mk4 model (I haven't seen the photos myself, just going by description) and the seller saying he had interest from someone in Greece and the UK but not much more info. Warren (the webmaster) got the feeling that the seller wants big bucks for them but was confused and curious that he and apparently a select few other people had been singled out as contacts rather than posting a sale ad on the largest Nova site there is! I'm sure he would be willing to forward the contact info if anyone was truly interested. Might be worth just a look-see to check what is actually being offered.

Alzax3
09-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I guess the Indian chappie might have stashed the bulk of/or a full set of moulds away, but really they are not worth much to anyone under the present motoring regulations - it's not a marketable proposition, and the takers for replacement panels would be severely limited - if he wants more than a grand or two he'll likely be very disappointed.........

letterman7
09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Warren is going to forward me the email and photos later tonight. He did say the fellow sent a second email stating that he had paid €27,000 for them (sounds like a bunch of crock to me) and didn't say what he was asking for them. Looks to me that he'll be holding on to those for quite a long time!

Spacenut
09-03-2011, 09:03 PM
The plot thickens...

djee87
09-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Indeed it does... It will be interesting to see what comes of this that's for sure.

And to think, I paid less than a grand for the full set of Alto moulds AND a complete kit too :-)

Dave

jim73vw
22-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Our webmaster on the Sterling forums had received a crypic email from "VF" who was selling molds for a Nova and a McLaren replica. Attached were a few fuzzy, dated photos of what appeared to be a Mk4 model (I haven't seen the photos myself, just going by description) and the seller saying he had interest from someone in Greece and the UK but not much more info.

A brief mention of these in this months Complete Kit car mag too. The article states the Nova pics were such poor quality couldn't be published - very high price tag too ! but contact detials if of interest

djee87
23-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Jim, any chance you could scan a copy of the article in the magazine please? I wonder what will come of these moulds... It would be intersting to have a look at them and see what there is I guess.

Alex, what Nova are the moulds you have for? Are these Mk IV moulds from the same place?

Dave

Alzax3
23-03-2011, 11:38 AM
They're moulds from Sam Cobley's production run of Mk4s, He didn't make that many cars - less than 15 by all accounts, and he didn't mention having multiple moulds, so it would seem strange that there were more than one set of canopy moulds for instance - but hey, what do I know? :confused1:

jim73vw
23-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Not much worth scanning in as no photos.

Asking 15000 euros :scared: ! For info contact Ted and Anne Vreman tvreman@yahoo.com

Mostin
28-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi all.

I take it these are the people who ended the life of the Nova in the UK?

How old is the MK IV now?

Cheers.
Mostin.

djee87
28-03-2011, 04:22 PM
€15k seems a little bit expensive! Could the Nova actually ever be produced again, and also would people want to buy them anymore???

Alex, what exactly is it you have in your mould collection then? And what body´s/chassis´s do you have? I have been doing lots more researching and travelling around the country since we last spoke, and have found out quite a bit about the Avante... Do you know much about the alfachassis or Peerhouse Cars/Sandwood Automotive?

Dave

Peter
28-03-2011, 06:02 PM
If the feed back TEAC received at Stoneliegh 2006 for a rehashed SS is anything to go on lots of 'interest' but no one really interested in buying. As beautiful as they are these cars are they are very dated now and very difficult to pass the test, also donors such as MR2s etc. are getting harder to find as people would rather do them up than break them, same story on the VW beetle front where a half decent bug fetches minimum of 4k, why break it with so many panels and parts available? Hence the TEAC search for a sencible donor and converting the moulds for a tubular chassis. The chances of being able to offer an affordable Nova /SS on a sensible build cost/donor is very slim to none, god only knows Tim at TEAC tried.

Alzax3
28-03-2011, 06:31 PM
In fairness to those that showed an interest, what was on show by TEAC at Stoneleigh was a couple of years off being a marketable proposition, so nobody was likely to be stumping up for it. Perhaps if a few of the 'difficult' areas - like an appropriate glass screen, working and reliable cooling system, etc had been addressed there might have been some chance, but a screwed-on sheet of polycarbonate and the suggestion that it could be removed before going for the SVA weren't confidence inspiring........

I have a few Nova Mk4 moulds stored here, front valance, canopy inner and outer, engine bay inner surround - plus some unused panels (lower side panels, interior side pockets, rear body mount) which could have moulds taken from them, and a body-shell which was being adapted for the mid-engined chassis - which could be repaired and a mould taken from it should it ever be required (I feel pretty unlikely!) there are also moulds I have made for Mk 1 dash-pods, front valance, sunroof, nostril bonnet. I think that about covers it!

Spacenut
28-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi all.

I take it these are the people who ended the life of the Nova in the UK?

How old is the MK IV now?

Cheers.
Mostin.

I don't think these people are anything to do with Aerotec Nova, the last owners of the Mk4 moulds. I read somewhere that Shashi Vyas went back to Pakistan following the collapse of the firm - possibly owing money to people, but I've no idea what the truth of the matter is. Vyas bought the moulds and rights to manufacture from Sam Cobley, who had updated the moulds to produce the Mk4. This was in the mid-1990s. Sam's operation was based in Cornwall, and Alex managed to rescue a number of moulds (and one complete body tub) from the scrapyard where they were being burnt.

I think it is likely that all of Aerotec's moulds (the "official" Nova) remained in Cornwall after Aerotec went to the wall, so unless Alex has got them, the likelihood is that they perished in the flames. However, that does not preclude a fresh mould being taken from an existing bodyshell, like the Nova SSD and Don Law Novas produced in small numbers in the late 1970s. Another possibility is that the moulds may be from an early Puma GTV or Defi/SCOBRA, which are superficially similar to the Mk1 Nova, and use the same screen, but are from a different part of the Nova family tree!

I think it would be very difficult to determine a Mk4 Nova from a fuzzy photo - the canopy modifications are very subtle and could easily be mistaken for a Mk1, and the revised rear undertray (the only other obvious panel change) could easily have been retro-fitted to an earlier model.

Alas, I fear that Peter is right - irrespective of whether the kit has a fully-developed chassis or is running on a VW floorpan, such a project is never going to make any money - you'd be doing it for the love of the marque, just like Dave has done with the Alto.

Incidentally, the bodyshell that Alex rescued was modified to fit Sam Cobley's tubular frame chassis - there are various cutouts in the body and there is a brake servo in the front compartment. Three chassis appear to have been made, one is owned by a Club Nova member, the other may have been the one that came up on ebay last year with the Alfa V6 transplant (it was still running the Ford PCD wheels), so that just leaves the original prototype/rolling demonstrator unaccounted for...

Lauren

Mostin
29-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi all.

Cheers Spacenut. I remember having a chat with Sam at Stoneleigh when he had his blue Nova as his demo car. He came across as a nice chap who was putting in a lot of effort into bringing the Nova upto date. It was not long after that the Aerotec Nova pop'ed up with what looked like Sam's Nova in the promotional info, but with (at the time) a price tag close to the price of my first house :shock:

Mostin.

Spacenut
29-03-2011, 11:33 AM
That's absolutely right. Sam did a first-class job of making new moulds and incorporating sensible changes to the basic Nova design, but the market demanded a better chassis and that takes time and money to develop. Unfortunately the money ran out before the chassis was fully developed, so it is unlikely that the market could have supported a VW based Nova much longer even with Sam still at the helm. Like Dave, he was an enthusiast and didn't want to see the Nova die. Trouble is, when the money runs out, you can't be choosy about who you sell to, and Aerotec had the money. I think the asking price at the time was around £15,000. Aerotec actually got Sam's 2.2 Porker-powered Nova as part of the deal and exhibited it at Stoneleigh the following year. But the cracks were starting to show in the business plan even then - first Vyas annoyed Club Nova by suggesting that they should all buy new Aerotec cars, then he defaulted on several orders for panels, and produced a new "super sexy" rear wing with all of the aerodynamic attributes of a wooden plank, before announcing that Aerotec would henceforth withdraw completely from the UK market and concentrate on a factory built twin-turbo mid-engined V6 car that would be sold exclusively in Japan. Oh, and there would be a racing version as well.

Its very easy to dream, but to succeed against the established competition starting with nothing more than a 3-dimensional shape takes a considerable amount of time, and an awful lot of cash, which clearly Vyas did not have (I get the impression his efforts were bankrolled by wealthy/indulgent parents).

Lauren

Peter
29-03-2011, 05:30 PM
In fairness to those that showed an interest, what was on show by TEAC at Stoneleigh was a couple of years off being a marketable proposition, so nobody was likely to be stumping up for it. Perhaps if a few of the 'difficult' areas - like an appropriate glass screen, working and reliable cooling system, etc had been addressed there might have been some chance, but a screwed-on sheet of polycarbonate and the suggestion that it could be removed before going for the SVA weren't confidence inspiring........

Also in fairness I would say, on Tim's behalf, that to have sunk any more money into the project would have been foolhardy. The body shell and the framework (not a chassis) to support the MR2 running gear was solely a design discussion project (it was even different left and right) and in no way reflected any attempt to sell a "new SS" and in that respect it did it's job and we got a very good idea who might be interested and what they wanted to see incorporated in a "new SS", unfortunately the result was so disappointing Tim just gave up the whole idea, which considering the amount of time and money he had already invested rescuing the moulds, repairing them and renting the industrial unit to keep it all as well a tidy sum at the 2006 show, could not have been an easy decision to make. I wonder how many of us would dare to try it. I’m just glad my contribution was in the design aspect, so ‘only’ time was lost.
As for the black Acrylic windscreen (not Polycarbonate), it’s seen on many concept mock-ups, it was solely there for finish; after all why fit a £400 screen?
Anyway, the SS it truly dead now and the moulds have disappeared to Wexford and I very much doubt anyone will make this type of car ever again, at least not one we could afford. It was great while it lasted and we all enjoy and cherish the few that are left.

Alzax3
29-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Not arguing with any of the effort or commitment that Tim (or you) showed to the project, just pointing out that I've not seen a concept car presented at Stones in that basic a form, by a start-up company that has actually gone on to form a viable business. (I think the closest was the Lightning Corvette replica, which managed a couple of cars, one of which appears on Ebay occasionally) And I suggested polycarbonate for the screen in case it was a stab at producing something near roadworthy rather than Perspex which couldn't be.

Peter
30-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Nope, not a stab at anything apart from seeing if it was viable to produce such a type of car in this day and age and from over a thousand visitors in three days it was a resounding no.

JemP
30-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I think that there would be a little more scope for a Nova based on a MR2 , or maybe even a revised Karma. At least the Nova has its little place in history in its own right, and a retro classic on modern running gear might find a little market - the trouble is, even that market would probably be far too small to make it commercially viable. I was bidding on a MR2 based Karma on ebay some time ago, but the price went far too high.

letterman7
31-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I think that there would be a little more scope for a Nova based on a MR2 , or maybe even a revised Karma. At least the Nova has its little place in history in its own right, and a retro classic on modern running gear might find a little market - the trouble is, even that market would probably be far too small to make it commercially viable. I was bidding on a MR2 based Karma on ebay some time ago, but the price went far too high.

That's the very issue Dave is facing here in the US with the Sterling. While he's made leaps with a tube frame, a mid-engine setup and some great engineering designs, he hasn't been able to sell a single turnkey car due to the overall costs involved. He's sold lots of parts and even a few frames and has "refurbished" used Sterlings for folks, but the turnkey cars are still out of reach.

Nic
31-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Make sure you tell Dave that as soon as I win the Lottery, I'll be buying a mid engine tube chassis and all the trimmings from him. :crossfinger:

Alzax3
31-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm sure that that will give Dave great confidence and enthusiasm to carry on........ :rofl:

letterman7
18-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I'll resurrect this as I just received the photos from my buddy. I won't add the current owner's email unless someone is interested, but here is the email to Sterling Kit Cars and the attached photos:

Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 5:14 AM

Hello,
At this moment there are possible buyers from Greece and the UK but
nothing is sold yet.
But first come first serve.
The Nova Molds are profesionaly made in the 80's and did cost
the owner a fortune.
Only 8 body's where produced and the owner stoped.
Then they where sold and I bought them 10 years ago and have them stored since.
This means I'm the owner number 3
My plan was to build a electric version but I never found the time.
The molds are well protected with a body + parts inside the molds.
I don't know the exact model of the molds ? but they don't have
pop up headlights.
The molds are stored and I can not make pictures now.
I do have some low res pictures now I send.
All molds are compleet so it will be possible to produce again
without a problem.
Please let me know if you are intrested to buy them.

Kind regards,

Ted Vreman

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/Afbeelding1.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/Afbeelding2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/Afbeelding3.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/Afbeelding4.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/Afbeelding6.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/EXPLUGAGAINILDATFRONT.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/INTERIORROOFPLUG.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/MAINPLUG.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/MAINPLUGBACK.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/MAINPLUGFRONT.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/MAINPLUGREAR.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/MAINPLUGSIDE.jpghttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/mk%204/PLUGFORROOFEIORATBACK.jpg

There were more photos, but I thought these the most relevant.

Nic
18-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Iiiiiiinteresting. Notice the "notch" in the top" must be for mounting switches and such. I like that alteration.

Spacenut
19-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes, I noticed that too. So it is definitely modified from standard, although in other respects the moulds are as per existing models (Mk1 Nova front undertray, canopy and a Mk2 bonnet). They certainly don't look too gash from the photographs, and the front undertray mould is split in the correct place (you can tell by the flashlines on existing mouldings).

The seat mouldings look like the Mk1 Elam shells I have in the Green Machine.

If these moulds originated in the UK I would venture that they could be from the Crestwick/Steve Driver Nova SSD, but the likelihood is that they were an expensive indulgence on the part of a US entrepreneur...

Lauren