PDA

View Full Version : Hello

T11
30-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi all I'am new here .......just happened to see a post about the Gilbern t11 prototype, well I own it and yes its on the road, anyone who woud like to see it and lives near me ( Deal Kent) are more than welcome.....Gordon

Spacenut
30-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Welcome Gordon!

It was me, I'm a big fan of the T11, hope to catch up with you when I get mobile again (still in the midst of chassis rework at present and no alternative transport - at least not able to get me to Kent!).

Hope you are enjoying driving your unique prototype!

Lauren

Vasco Da Gamer
31-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Wow - might well take you up on that ! :clapping:

One of my favourites too - although I had forgotten about the car until Lauren noticed that Classic and Performance Car article. I would guess that means you own the only finished example.

Anyway, welcome.

Steve

Spacenut
31-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi Steve - I believe there was only one example!

Like the Harris Mann penned Zanda concept, and the Bohanna-Stables Diablo, the Gilbern T11 used the new Austin Maxi E-series transverse SOHC 4-cylinder FWD package, located behind the driver. Of course, BL didn't stop at 4 cylinders for the E-series, once they had grafted 2 more cylinders on they had the 2.2 litre transverse straight-6 used in the Austin 2200, Wolesley Six etc.

If I ever track down that Lamborghini Marzal replica again, I reckon the 2.2 would be the ideal engine for it - proper mid-engined, unlike the original's rear engine, and of similar capacity to the bisected Lambo V12, which was less than 2 litres. Hydrolastic suspension would be an interesting addition to what was intended to be a luxury Grand Tourer as well :D

The only limiting factor is the poor design of the cylinder head, with siamesed ports, twin SUs and inlet and exhaust ports on the same side (i.e. non-crossflow). Nothing a bit of porting and pair of sidedraft Webers wouldn't cure though :D

Listen to me rambling on again... :sorry:

Lauren

Vasco Da Gamer
31-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Well that would certainly tie in with the word "prototype" !

I think I picked up the thought that there might have been others from an article which mentioned no T11 ever having been fully finished - meaning Gordon had to create a lot of it from scratch. I took that as meaning there were maybe a couple of others.

I love the whole look of it, especially the generally aircraft canopyish look of the windows, and I would keep the headlamps as they are - they add interest where pop-up units might look relatively blank.

I love listening to you ramble on ! :D