PDA

View Full Version : Buick V6 Odd fire engine.

Nic
04-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Anyone know much about these? A buddy of mine offered to give me one.

Spacenut
04-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Is that an odd firing sequence, or a fire fighting appliance?

Actually, I think I know what this is about - its a 90° V6 isn't it? The optimum V-angle for a six cylinder engine is 60°, whereas the optimum angle for a V8 is 90°. If a manufacturer decides to make a V6 by lopping off two cylinders, they end up with this non-optimal configuration. I believe the ignition pulses are uneven, which makes the engine sound a bit rough at idle. Obviously power and torque are not as good as their 60° counterparts, but they have been used a lot - Maserati developed a 90° V6 for the Citroen SM and Merak, the PRV engine (Peugeot-Renault-Volvo) V6 is also a 90°, the afore-mentioned Buick (who were the first company to offer this type of engine) etc. etc.

Apparently later Buick V6 engines use offset split crank pins and balancer shafts to cure the vibration inherent in this type of engine. It could be worse of course - Ford Europe used to offer a 90° V4, which was based on a V8 cut in half. That needed a massive rotating couterweight to stop itself shaking to pieces!

Its up to you really. If the money is right, and the power/weight is acceptable for your application, why not?

Lauren

letterman7
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
They were the earlier V6's from GM. There was a difference in the distributor cap from the other 6's of the time. IIRC the odd-fire came from a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6 rather than the expected 1-3-5-2-4-6 (or something like that). There are some articles on them on the net - found 'em when I was researching the Buick 215 block... which is a V8... and lighter than the cast iron V6 :wink: . But the largest hurdle is going to be fitting it under the body if you're thinking about the Sterling.

letterman7
30-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Hey Nic..
This just came up for sale in Jersey recently. Doesn't look like there is any modification to the body to squeeze that engine under.. but I'm waiting for actual photos of the engine compartment! There's no rear valance and the light tray has been moved out.. that's the only mods I see here. Lousy photos, though..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/7.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/6.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/2.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/4.jpg

Alzax3
30-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't care how powerful that would be, the Mad Max Interceptor crossed with Back to the Future Delorean look doesn't do the Nova any favours......

Badwolf
31-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Don't care how powerful that would be, the Mad Max Interceptor crossed with Back to the Future Delorean look doesn't do the Nova any favours......

Agree, could be a chance though to purchase an all together Nova and remove the "IMO" over the top add on's?

Is this still for sale?

Alzax3
31-03-2012, 10:51 AM
If the add-ons hadn't raised the price to a crazy level - and there'd be a lot of uffage removal (radiators, heater, pipework etc) if you wanted to return to aircooled. (Fine if you were intending to have a water-cooled lump anyway of course) I wonder if the air intake would look slightly less 'daft' if it was mounted the way nature intended instead of facing backwards?

Badwolf
31-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Main eye sore for me is the bug catcher and dont think turning it round will make it look any better? just looks far to big and out of place.

Nice looking set of alloys though.

LotusNova
31-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I wonder if the air intake would look slightly less 'daft' if it was mounted the way nature intended instead of facing backwards?

...and maybe a tad more functional as well? I'm not sure sucked induction is very popular.

letterman7
31-03-2012, 03:13 PM
:wink: There has been discussion about which way the scoop should face. I don't think the engine cares either way so long as it gets the air it needs. Ram air, in this case, isn't feeding a race prepped motor. The seller is asking $7K as is... which here in the States is a pretty good deal if you can deal with the modifications!

Alzax3
31-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Ah - that's the OTHER Jersey, isn't it? :whistling:

letterman7
31-03-2012, 10:01 PM
:facepalm: Guess I should have quantified that, huh. Yes, New Jersey, USA

LotusNova
01-04-2012, 07:13 AM
:wink: There has been discussion about which way the scoop should face. I don't think the engine cares either way so long as it gets the air it needs. Ram air, in this case, isn't feeding a race prepped motor. The seller is asking $7K as is... which here in the States is a pretty good deal if you can deal with the modifications!

For the record, I had a browse and it looks like it doesn't really matter (under 200mph the difference is insignificant). Still looks weird though :wink: