PDA

View Full Version : Which Subaru engine?

Mostin
31-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Hello all.

Things are moving on at a steady rate & its time to be on the look out for a Subaru engine.

It may be a daft question but is there a Subaru engine model that is better suited than others?

Cheers.
Mostin.

NovaF4
31-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Mostin. A nice choice of engine, whatever size you end up with. Out of curiosity what are your plans for the suspension, the brakes and any chassis/gearbox strengtheners? You'll need some pretty good upgrades to cope with the engine power to give your Nova the right balance.

Giles.

Peter
31-05-2011, 08:04 PM
2.2 twin turbo, yummie

Dirk
31-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Mostin,

I have the EJ22 2.2ltr SOHC I made the choice mainly on the information and parts available, at the time I did the conversion about the only useful source of info was from Kennedy engineering in the US since then there has been lots of development and info available and as such more of the engine range are usable. Watch out some of the engines a few had problems with the original factory fitted head gaskets, but once changed are fine, but a new head set is not cheep. VW mag did a big article on converting a Type 25 camper to Subaru power and they went into detail on engine choice. It used to be on the RJES web site for download if you can’t find it then PM your e-mail address and Ill send it over.

Dan is it worth me sending you a copy to put on the Web site?

Dirk

bobbybrown
31-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah go for it, I'll add it to the downloads section on the main site.

Dirk
31-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Dan,

Ive sent it as a zip but it is still 38meg PDF if it does not come through let me know and Ill split it up.

Dirk

CyCo
01-06-2011, 12:07 PM
These days it would probably be easier to find a EJ series engine. These were used in the Legacy (Liberty here in Oz), and came in 1.5 through to 2.2, turbo or N/A. They came out in 1989 and were used in various configurations up to 2010/11.

I suggest the EJ simply because there should be plenty of them lurking around the wrecking yards. But do your self a favour and buy one reconditioned, or rebuild it yourself if you know what you're doing. Scooby's have a tenancy to be hoon-mobiles and wrecked ones probably have had their engine flogged to death.

I have an earlier series engine in mine, an EA82t. She's only a little 1.8 with the standard factory turbo (snail would fit in my cupped hand easily), but she certainly gets up and boogies when needed.

I like the EA82t. It's a nice little rorty engine, and I feel the engines power band suits the car. I have no experience with the EJ18 (it's newer 1.8 liter younger brother), but that could be a go. Mine has seen speeds of 110+mph, which is tons more than you can legally use, and get up to the speed limit nice and quick.

We have regulations over here that restrict what we can and can't do, and locally I can either have the 1.8 with the hair dryer on it, or go for a 2.2 N/A. Anything else, and if Kojak pulls me over and knows what's what (not likely, I know...), I could have to pull the engine.

So make sure what your regulations will allow.

Don't forget, you'll need a conversion plate and you'll also need to sort out your cooling system. More fun and games!! lol

Good luck.

Alzax3
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
'Q' plate will allow pretty much anything that your ensurers will cover, slightly less lee-way with classic/tax exempt status, but the engine is only worth one point, so it sounds like they're much stricter in Oz......

bobbybrown
01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Nothing yet Dirk, may be a little too big to get through the system.

Dirk
01-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I think it is my end I have only got a 1meg broadband which in reality is only 500K. Here is the link
http://www.rjes.com/index.html
If you scroll down the page you will see the download part for the article.

Dirk

Mostin
03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi all.

Thanks for your replies.

I've had a look on the http://www.rjes.com/index.html site & it seems they are looking at bus / van gear boxes? or there is the adaptor plate route ie :-

http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_121 ... apter.html (http://www.vwjim.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1212814-Subaru-to-VW-T1-Swing-Axle-Adapter.html)

So if i go down the rjes line i'll need to dig up a bus /van box.

Will a van box fit straight onto my beetle floor pan with out mods?

Cheers.
Mostin.

Dirk
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Mostin,

Give Richard at Rjes a ring his moble number is on his web site, you probably wont get a response if you E-mail him but if you phone him you will find he is very helpful and friendly.

Dirk

islandman
04-06-2011, 03:38 AM
I used a Kennedy engineering adapter for my Alfa Boxer conversion, the stuff is well made and means you don't need to change anything on the gearbox (input shafts etc..). It does mean though that have end up with a pretty hefty flywheel and the extra weight that this brings.

Mostin
20-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi all.

Well after a bit of looking around i'm going to go down the Kennedy engineering line. So order has been placed & "waiting time" clock has started.

Thanks for help all.
Mostin.

Mostin
04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi all.

Just a quick update & info for other on costs.

I ordered my adapter kit from Kennedy Engineered Products. After about 8 weeks & paying my customs duty / Import VAT & clearance fee which was £88.25p my kit has arrived.

Taking into account all the added costs it was still cheaper to get it from them at £437 in total to my door.

Cheers.
Mostin.

JemP
04-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Thats a good deal! and worth the wait.

Dirk
07-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi Mostin,

Did you get their blueprint for the electrics? When you are fitting the engine do not wrap the wires up untill the engine is running use cable ties every foot or so and double check every earth wire. I made that mistake and had to unwrap my loom twice. Have you got your engine now? Don't forget the subaru has the fuel pump integral to the tank so you will need an external pump I think the one I used was from a late model sierra.

Dirk

Mostin
11-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi Dirk.

Im looking at engines at the moment. I'm going for a 2.5 engine (Non turbo) I take your point on getting things running before looming up the wiring.

I take it you've gone down the Subaru route? & have you cracked the water cooling side of things?

Cheers.
Mostin.

Mostin
19-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi all.

Here's an update:- I've picked up a Subaru engine at the weekend. Its a Subaru Imreza Sport EJ20 non turbo engine. It came with the ECU etc.

Does anyone know where the engine number is so i can prove out what type of engine it is for sure?

The main reason is for when it comes to buying service parts etc. Plus it would seem that work shop manuals are a bit hit & miss but i'm still looking.

Cheers.
Mostin.

Dirk
19-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi Mostin,

The engine number means nothing when you are buying parts, you need the chassis number if you want to buy anything. Subaru do not keep any records on engine numbers. Get the vin number you will need it.

Dirk