PDA

View Full Version : Hey!

tombombvw
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Hello all, my name is Tom and Im from Carmarthen, mid Wales, over the years (and I'm only 23) I'v built multiple VW Golfs, 2 mk2s a mk3 and mk4, after being offered an unfinished nova for cheap I instantly fell in love with it, and after some lurking on here reading up I'v decided to get it!

Needs alot of work but worth it in my eyes, engine is seized so engine swap is a must, and will be going the watercooled direction, rad location isnt a problem as I'm experianced in faberglass fabrication. And wiring isn't a problem either! I'm just undecided on engine, scooby or ford v6, I know about RJES for the scooby conversion, just cant find any info to fit a ford/mazda v6. So the reason I'v come here!

Anyway enough babbling heres the pics!

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/39/82/50/28062010.jpg

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/39/82/50/28062011.jpg

Comments and input welcome!

ChrisBailey
04-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Subaru adapter plates are available new from around £500 I think.
You are going to need to beef up the gearbox though, putting anything more than a VW boxer around 40hp will end up with gears all over the road.
Water cooled engines only have the benefit of the in cabin heater (water), otherwise you cant beat the original boxer for a Nova setup.
I think there was an original ford v6 adapter, who knows where to find one though.
You can also put the alfa boxer in as a few guys on here have.
I can imagine that a big v6 as that in the mazda K series and ford cologne would both weigh the back of the car down alot, you can pick up the VW with your hands, V6 must weigh 2-3 times heavier, would really change the handling.

Looks like a nice project though!
Has it been registered? Bodywork looks in nice condition.
If your good with fiberglass you may want to think about putting in fiat coupe headlights or maybe some retro pop-ups like mine.

P.S
I wouldnt dump the VW lump, they really hold their money, I had a knackered 1600 (oil starvation) and got £50 for it, paid £350 for a 1300, 1600 starting price is around £500!

Alzax3
04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Welcome! I sold my original one to somebody in Tenby before I left Carmarthen (well 10 miles North, but Carmarthen was our town) but it's not this one, amazing where they all hide away!

bushboy
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Tom,

Mazda KL 2.5l V6 will fit.

If you want to know how I know, just look at the British Eureka thread in the owners car section.

23000 miles later & I'm still smiling.

Gear box is std IRS and is still in one piece.

Weight all up with fat driver is 1060kg

Rad is mid mount, no you cant use my side air intake idea, i'm the only one in the villiage!!!!! :whip:

Get up and go is......ask Ben.

Catch you later.

bushboy

Peter
04-07-2011, 10:04 PM
IMHO. Stick to the VW boxer, no water problems or weight issues and no adaptors to find. You can't go faster than 70mph anyway and on a very old chassis design, so concentrate on looks, handling and brakes instead, you'll live longer and so will the car. These cars are so show not go.
You can go up to just under 3 litres if you must but a hot 1641cc will give you over 100HP without any engineering and done right revs to over 6,500, 7000+ on a good day, I know, mine does.
Stuffing large, powerful lumps in the back of these cars is always a bad idea (although a few have gotten away with it, so far) and usually makes them totally undrivable without half a church roof and a tombstone in the nose.
But if you want the advantage of water for heating the cabin, (as has been said, there is no other advantage) the Scubby or better still Alpha lumps would be the way to go. A good condition 1303 box will handle 120 hp but an iffy 1300 or 1600 would break all too soon. Mine is a 1303 one converted to swing axle (as I didn't want to convert my chassis to IRS at the time).

Best advise is always to get the car on the road in basic form (after a chassis up re-con) before you throw (lotsa) time and money at it in the form of fancy interiors, flash wheels, (love the turbo vacs by the way) and OTT engine setups or you will be passing it on (at best) in a year or twos time as yet another “unfinished project” . Also points covered in a post earlier. Get the partner and or parents on side. Secure adequate dry premises for at least two years. Make sure you have the time, tools and money, then at least double it. Under estimate your skills, resourses and abilities and you might get it finished.
Still, what the hell do I know?

CyCo
05-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Welcome to the fun! The bug gearbox will handle a lot, but it you're going to go for huge amounts of horsepower then you really want to look at least changing the internals (some go with Porsche internals), or just go straight Porsche gearbox. Will cost you though. I'm running an older Scooby (ea82t from a Subaru XT), and the VW gearbox handles that fine. I'm getting a new stronger gearbox I must admit, but that's just because my gearbox has been like stiring a metal rod in a bucket of gravel ever since I got it. My mechanic believes it's the original unit, and probably never been reconditioned.

Good luck, it looks like your Nova is a solid basic for a rebuild.

:welcome:

MicksRedNova
05-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello all, my name is Tom and Im from Carmarthen

Hi Tom, welcome aboard. Has your Nova been on the road before? Some never made it that far in their original owners hands (like mine). If it has been on the road and only needs a replacement engine to get it back on the road I would suggest you get an aircooled motor and try it first.

If you plan to do a complete, body off, restoration though - you need to plan for a large garage space and plenty of time. Mine took a number of years to get on the road (see web page below) and during that time my wife thought I lived in the garage!, so dragging the time out wasn't by choice.

I don't think these cars lend themselves to driving too fast, so a big engine is not an essential (although Bushboy's V6 does sound good).

Best of luck with the project. Keep us posted with loads of pictures of what goes on.

Mick

tombombvw
05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies, yes it has been on the road, has all the v5 docs etc and currently sorn.

The reason for buying is my gf works silly hours so its something to do while home alone! And im not fussed how long it takes. In my head I'v given it 2 years (did a mk3 golf bare shell rebuild in 2 months) And funds...what ever it takes.

My plan is shell off and restore and strengthen alot of the chassis to improve handling and take any extra power. Then suspension and brake upgrades. Then shell back on and get onto engine and drive train. T2/3 gearbox as they can handle the extra power with ease just needs the gear linkage modifying. then the scooby non turbo or v6 lump for a mix of looks and sounds...but the grunt when needed. Yes will be only driven up to 70...but how you get there ;) Then comes the interior and paintwork once its all working.

Oh and the wheels...I love them. Will be keeping them and giving them a refurb.

Big Birds Car
05-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. I understand you have done the normal car rebuilds but be aware these sorts of kit cars are not off the shelf sourced items, there will a load of one off mods and some bodges to get it on the road as you want it. One area that springs to mind is the wiring that you say you will be ok with, just my two pence worth STRIP IT ALL OUT and start a fresh, if using a different engine then try to get a running car, take out the engine and the whole wiring loom and then add lots of earth wires.
Cars are not made to just do 70 so go for something you feel comfortable with (besides it will sound better than a dacdac).
Good luck.

tombombvw
05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah what ever I use to run it I'l be buying the whole car and using the doners wiring

thestevie
05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
The reason for buying is my gf works silly hours so its something to do while home alone!

No Xbox?

tombombvw
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
The reason for buying is my gf works silly hours so its something to do while home alone!

No Xbox?

haha na prefer to be outside if honist

NovaF4
05-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

Interesting Mark 1 you have found.

Although Bushboy is still smiling and probably the rest of the clan are too, there is only one engine that was made for the Nova (or was it the other way round?), and that is the Alfa Romeo boxer engine!

My experience has been with the 1.5 and the 1.7. When you see the engine fitted you will see what I mean.

- It fits perfectly across the rear of the Nova.
- It is quite light
- It offers the perfect amount of power and balance for the Nova's weight, chassis and running gear (worth upgrading a few things).
- It sounds wonderful (rare for Nova's).
- It loves to rev (especially if you keep the Alfa flywheel).
- It's simple to fit (with an adaptor plate)
- It's easy to get to everything and work on without taking off the rear panel.
- It's Italian and full of character
- It was arguably the best engine Alfa ever made and one of the best 4 cylinder engines ever (I've read that many times).
- You can make a water heated heater! Much better than air.

(needs a few bits on the top still)...

http://www.thegoodwebcompany.com/sfy36k/engine/IMG_1164.jpg

Good luck!

JemP
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Giles is right, it looks and fits perfect. Unfortunately they are getting a little bit old now, and therefore rare - there are none on ebay at the moment and only one complete car. I don't know where you'd get an adaptor plate from apart from Kennedy in the States which is a shame.
If I hadnt had a free Ford CVH engine along with all the other donor stuff I took off the Orion, I was looking at Alfa, this was 3 or 4 years ago and there were more engines around, and I think that company in Crewe were still doing kits. Its a shame, but older Alfas are gaining in value and rarity, so they're not shedding engines like they used to - the old jokes about them just rusting out of the engine bay :) So I guess the adaptor makers don't have the demand. If I was doing it again now, I'd probably stick with a Beetle engine for simplicities sake.

NovaF4
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
JemP is right. I omitted those important details, sorry.

Thank godness there are garages out there like Rusper Alfa who can recondition Alfa engines and bring them back to brand newness.

The adaptor plate situation is the biggest problem. The Kennedy kit also doesn't let you retain the Alfa flywheel. In my opinion it's pointless doing the conversion without it. It's what lets the Alfa engine do what it was designed to do - rev freely.

G

Dirk
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Tom,

I have the 2.2 scooby fitted to a standard gearbox and not had a problem. I used the Kenedy adapter, and the Subaru Legacy is plentiful and cheap mine came out of an Auto car so had not been as thrashed as some.

Dirk

tombombvw
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Tom,

I have the 2.2 scooby fitted to a standard gearbox and not had a problem. I used the Kenedy adapter, and the Subaru Legacy is plentiful and cheap mine came out of an Auto car so had not been as thrashed as some.

Dirk

I like posts like this :clapping:

your lucky then as the 2.2 realy dislikes its own headgasket so an unthrashed one is a bonus!

I didnt rely look at the alfa engines as said they are getting rare so would cost a hell of a lot more than prementioned cars and could be picked up for only a few hundred for the whole car.

Some great info here though! Thanks

Peter
05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Always the option of a light VW flywheel like mine with a Kennedy 1700 clutch.. revs very freely.
I would fit the engine and all mechanicals, brakes etc before dropping the body on, working on a VW ‘kipper’ has its advantages over a normal car shell, as in you can actually drive it without the body on at all and work all in the open. I think you will find that's generaly the way; (apart from Bush Boy, who being from Oz does everything the hard way.) :cheers:

tombombvw
05-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I tend to do things the hard way naturaly.

Only reason I though engine after body so i know what space is in there for mounting, but then again I'm sure a measuring tape would prove useful!

Ben
06-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi tombombvw

Nice to see a Nova newbee with some plans :thumbup:

Dirk's Nova with scooby power I first saw as stone's 2005 sounds good. That was wen I took my Honda 2.7 V6 24v pwerd Nova tipted the scails at 940kg with driver and worked out at 185 BHP per tone that sounded grate.

Bushboys Reek is proper fast it drives very well it's got a good pedalbox not the beetle one you can drive it with steel toe cap boots the mazda ECU is easy to take of the doner car that is a bonus.

You are a VW Golf man what about VR32 power? what ever you decide I will like it.

The Nova I am driving at the moment is Beetle powerd.

Remember some learning curves can become a full circle.

You have Now enterd Novaland :cool1:

Ben

tombombvw
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM
:thumbup: I like posts like this...gives me comfidence!

I am indeed a dub man, and did think of a vag 'v' but then thought that it isnt rely a propper v is they are 15deg single head, prefer the idea of twin heads and a manni either side!

Big Birds Car
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Well to keep all the Italia mad people happy, and you with a V motor, why not look at the Alfa v6 engines. Plenty around and cheap to.

bushboy
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Tom,

At the end of the day you have to build what you want. I built mine to drive & I do, so it looks really ratty & is short of some TLC. But go it does. If you treat the gear box with respect then it will last (165 bhp and 23,000 miles later) But hey I'm twice as old as you so I'm wasting my time, best you buy two gearboxes :bleh: :bleh:

:argue: Peter is more of a poser so he blinged his all up with shine bits & only take it of if the air temp is 27.657 degrees & the humidity is exactly 62.99876084456%

Dak Dak is a quick simple way to being on the road, but you will get a lot more BHP for your money dropping in something designed with BHP already.

Kennedy engineering supplied my adapter & fly wheel so mating the donk to the cog box is simple as :party:

So what ever you decide, support, jovial comments & appreciation of your efforts can be found right here.

bushboy

tombombvw
07-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Tom,

At the end of the day you have to build what you want. I built mine to drive & I do, so it looks really ratty & is short of some TLC. But go it does. If you treat the gear box with respect then it will last (165 bhp and 23,000 miles later) But hey I'm twice as old as you so I'm wasting my time, best you buy two gearboxes :bleh: :bleh:

Dak Dak is a quick simple way to being on the road, but you will get a lot more BHP for your money dropping in something designed with BHP already.

Kennedy engineering supplied my adapter & fly wheel so mating the donk to the cog box is simple as :party:

bushboy

I think we may be on the same boat here, one question though, how did you find getting the adaptor across the pond? Are they able to ship or am I best contacting someone over in the US?

bushboy
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Tom,
From memory they shipped it for me. However, as part of this forum you will find you have contacts all over the world, including the states & we usually help each other out when we can.

Good luck with your search & build.

Bushboy

Spacenut
10-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Tom, welcome to the Euro-Nova forum :welcome:

Lauren

Peter
11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Just flip quickly through the posts and can't see what reg it is or if you have the V5 for it. Do you?

tombombvw
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
It has no plates at the min as they were lost along with the rear panel in a shed fire, but it does have a v5 and registered as SORN

Mostin
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Hello & welcome.

I've not been on this forum for long but its a nice place with a lot of help around.

Have fun.

Mostin.

Peter
12-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank heaven for that Tom, had nightmares about you ploughing ahead on a car that could never be legal. crack on my son and I look foward to seeing your efforts.