PDA

View Full Version : no gears

nigelb
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
hi, just put engine back in avante , 1600 twin dellorto 40s and noticed that while car is in gear the wheels still go round so checked linkage to make sure it was connected and you can see shaft that goes to gearbox box move, so its not engaging any gears ,does this mean gearbox knackered thanks

JemP
01-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Could be clutch, what is the clutch doing? does moving it in and out make any difference to engine revs? what does it feel like?

islandman
01-08-2011, 10:57 AM
noticed that while car is in gear the wheels still go round

Err the wheel are supposed to go round when it is in gear :sorry:

Do you mean they go round when not in gear :whistling:

Spacenut
01-08-2011, 12:06 PM
The important thing to note is that when one wheel is turned (by hand, with both rear wheels off the ground and the gearbox in-gear) in a clockwise direction, the other wheel is turning anti-clockwise and vice-versa. Beetle 'box has an open diff, so if the wheels are rotating in this manner then there is nothing wrong with the differential. If you want to turn the engine over by hand while in-gear you need to stop one of the wheels spinning away the effort. Easiest method is to drop one wheel down on the deck. With the diff locked in this way, the rotational effort on the remaining "free" wheel will transfer to the engine through the gears (if you are in-gear).

Lauren

nigelb
02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
hi thanks for all replies , will try and clarify things a bit engine doesnt run at moment as no electrics but with car on ground and in gear you can push it backwards and forwards as though it was in neutral, thanks.

Spacenut
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Hmm. OK, I guess the clutch would be your first port of call in that case, followed by the gear linkage. I would be very surprised if the transmission itself is shot - they can handle a lot of abuse!

Good luck!

Lauren

Peter
02-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Could it be a case of late type gearbox and early type clutch as the tube on the gearbox that the later bearings run on would push the 'fingers' on the old pressure plate and hold the clutch off?

letterman7
03-08-2011, 04:17 PM
hi, just put engine back in avante , 1600 twin dellorto 40s and noticed that while car is in gear the wheels still go round so checked linkage to make sure it was connected and you can see shaft that goes to gearbox box move, so its not engaging any gears ,does this mean gearbox knackered thanks

Just move or engage? With the clutch pushed in, can you physically feel the selector rod moving and engaging a gear? With the clutch out, there will still be some play in the shifter rod, so you can't judge solely from that. It may be a simple shifter adjustment is needed.

jimcub
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM
When i first put my previous shifter in it was a sod to line up, i started with no gears and ended up with 2 first and third. After some grinding and fidling I got all 5 ( reverse ) but then sold it on as it was a bit rubbish.

ChrisBailey
03-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Ive had this problem before and as peter says, you must check to see if you are using the correct clutch plate with the correct thrust bearing.
If you mix them up your clutch will be depressed permanently. (there is a ring on the clutch plate for newer models)
Have you ever changed any clutch parts and has the engine been in the car before and was it running.