PDA

View Full Version : New Floor pans, Lower or not Lowered

dmcdec
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Hi All,
Just looking for some advice, Currently I'm rebuilding my car, the old floor pans need a lot of attention, so I have bought new pans full length.
I also bought new seats which are slightly larger than the normal , got them from FK automotive (indianapolis model). These seats fit at the side ledge mark due to the reclining mechansim and at this height I have about 1" head clearance from the roof.
I am considering placing the floor pans in as standard and not lowering them. The Original Floor is lowered as per the manual, and when I made the runners for the new seats, I have about 4" gap at the back to meet the floor and 1 1/2 " at the front.
Is every Nova floor lowered??

Big Birds Car
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
No not all Nova's have lowered floor pans, however if you are tall you may well need to lower them just to get in with the roof down or you will be in a very reclined posture for driving, if that suits you then no worries.
As for the issue with lowered floor pans, if you get inspected then VOSA/DVLA could remove your registration and send you for an IVA test (very difficult to get one through and costly just for the test) HOWEVER before this ends up as do or don't etc. if you can prove that your car was modified in this manner before 1998 then you shouldn't have to worry as this is one of the many cut off points for various allowable modifications. If you are worried in any way and can live with the lack of headroom then just put in the flat pans and you are sorted.

Alzax3
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Being less than 5 foot 8, shallow-based reclining seats, immunity to claustrophobia and a sunroof are what you need to make stock pans work with a Mk 1 car, the extra two inches that a Mk2 or 4 should give you may make a bit of difference......

CyCo
07-09-2011, 01:41 AM
If you have 1" headroom while sitting in the car, then you have more headroom than me! And I'm in Oz with a Purvis Eureka F4 (slightly higher roof line), and no dropped pans. I maybe have a fingers width of headroom. And if that's not your head room, but the room between the top of the seats and the roof, then they'll be fine, as long as your heads not forced at an angle when driving. lol

Can't wait until I get my own roof back. Then I'll have a million miles of headroom! :D (t-top roof)

bushboy
07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
If you are really clever then drop the whole floor pan, using the replacement panels, include a replica centre plate as well. (Look underneth, you will see what I mean) and use spacers to take up the gap between the body flange & the outer floor pan lip. with carpet in place the inside will look "Normal" & from underneith, the floor pan will look stock.

Bushboy

Peter
08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Or, if it needs a test to register then leave dropping floors untill after the test. chances are that another MoT tester a year later will not know a dropped floor from a stub axle anyway and you can always plead ignorance, "Was like that last year" (he lied). :whistling:
In my SS which I think is about the same as a Nove IV I have 3" slopping floors and a 40 degree recline and at 5' 10" about 1/2" head room. I just have make sure I 'duck down' a bit when slamming the gull wing doors down. :scared:

Alzax3
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
MOT tester doesn't actually care one way or the other, they just require the vehicle to be safe.....