PDA

View Full Version : Another Avante!

djee87
19-09-2011, 10:35 AM
And another surfaces...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VW-AVANT ... 2c5f61376c (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-VW-AVANTE-KIT-CAR-FIBREGLASS-SHELL-SPARES-REPAIRS-WINTER-PROJECT-/190578767724?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5f61376c)

Dave!

Big Birds Car
19-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Sorry but the guy is a muppet.

djee87
19-09-2011, 06:17 PM
What makes you say that BBC???

Alzax3
19-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Something to do with "THE BODY SHELL HAS A CRACKED GLASS WINDSCREEN AND IT WAS BOUGHT LIKE IT. YOU COULD USE A PERSPEX REPLACEMENT" perhaps, or the inability to turn off the caps lock key? :whistling:

bushboy
19-09-2011, 08:52 PM
If only I had a spare 350 clams. I do like the look of the avante.

as for the inability to turn off the caps lock key, I believe it is a condition tha affects the over 53's, as one of my managers at work suffers from this. :clapping:

bushboy

Big Birds Car
19-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Alex is spot on.
Along with "fetching top dollar".

Sorry if it seemed I was a little short but some people should never be allowed near a car let alone try to build one and yes I do realise that it was his son who was doing it but from that description I doubt either knew what they were doing. :coat:

JemP
19-09-2011, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't touch this, its just the Avante shell. Avante has a spaceframe which bolts onto the VW chassis. Without this, there's no strength in the shell, and the shell won't sit on a chassis, as the chassis is narrower. You could of course make one, but it is quite complex, providing roll over support to the roof, and also providing all the fixing points to the front suspension. It would be a lot of work.

Spacenut
19-09-2011, 09:24 PM
So the reinforcing frame is not bonded into the bodyshell then? Hmm, that would make this a bit of a poor deal. Probably explains why the windscreen cracked as well, no rigidity in the structure, unlike the double-skinned Nova canopy which is self-supporting.

Its a bit like my orange ADD canopy - windscreen and plastic side windows were fitted (windscreen had been rather crudely cut out previously and I removed the plastic ones myself), but the sunroof had never been fitted properly and the wiper spindle holes had not been drilled either. Strange priorities!

Of course the lack of wiper spindle holes meant I didn't have to fill and re-drill for my offset wiper :D

But it does make you wonder who in their right mind would bond a windscreen into a body shell without the reinforcing structure in place :confused1:

Lauren

JemP
20-09-2011, 09:47 AM
No, it doesnt appear to have bonded in at the factory, it must have been why people said they were a very complex build. The first shell I bought was like this one with no frame attached. I imagine the original builder of an Avante had to bolt and bond the frame to the shell. It bolts all the way round the base. Mine is bonded in places around the engine bay, but was never bonded in at the front end, leading to a bit of flop, so I bonded it in. My first shell didnt even have the metal framework inside the doors! Hence it was all cut up and used as spare body parts.