PDA

View Full Version : Mid engined chasis with V5!

Alzax3
10-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Before you get too excited, look at the mess that's been made of the body in the (screen listing) in order to get it to fit this, but if you were intending to do something Lauren-like with your car this might be the way to go....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nova-kit-car- ... 3a73056c0d (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nova-kit-car-tubular-chassis-mid-engine-V5-SORN-/251037838349?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a73056c0d)

NovaF4
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Just a quickie to say thanks Alzax3 for putting up ebay posts for Nova parts.

G

Spacenut
10-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, I do declare - I think this is one of the 3 Sam Cobley chassis that were built. The rear engine mounts have been removed (they were originally designed only to fit the Ford CVH powerplant, clearly not enough for folks these days), but the strut towers are intact (so not designed for Jag parts at the back then).

I wonder if this is the same chassis as the one that cropped up on ebay with an Alfa V6 engine a few years back? That was under a bodyshell with some blue on it too. The body widening appears to have been done simply to fit wheels with enormous offsets, the chassis appears to be correctly proportioned for the normal tub, so you shouldn't have to modify the body if you don't want to.

Not sure about the sellers claims that the chassis was previously raced, to my knowledge Shashi Vyas never completed a mid-engined chassis, let alone raced one, and only a kit car series would have accepted it for competition, which would have at least generated a mention in the kit car press. Sam had not completed a full running mid-engined Nova before he sold the company. Richard Aldous is the only person I know of who has actually got the engine and running gear into one of these chassis, but the car is still a long way from being finished.

The basic chassis design is sound, but you will need to do a considerable amount of development work, particularly if you want to use a Mk1 bodyshell.

Alternatively, you might want to talk to Alex, who I believe still has the Mk4 bodyshell Sam modified to fit the chassis (you've still got it on the "mould mountain", haven't you Alex?)

I wonder what will happen to the chassis this time...?

Lauren

Spacenut
10-04-2012, 12:54 PM
PS - I hope the above doesn't trigger a furious tirade this time. The comments were all made in good faith, I'm sorry that the chassis isn't race-proven, that's just the way it is :outahere:

Lauren

Peter
10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
If we had some jam we could have a jam sandwich, if we had some bread. :facepalm:

Alzax3
10-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Furious tirades will result in banning for a second offence, with execution for the first.........

I'm slightly tempted to go for the chassis in order to use the blue Cobley shell (yes to still having mouldering pile!) But I'd have to go for the screen as well, and that poor butchered body needs rescuing and glassing back together properly - and then I'd have to get the whole lot back to darkest Cornwall and find time to do something with it all and then petrol will probably cost £45 a litre by Christmas :coat:

Spacenut
10-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Richard has been in touch and confirmed that his chassis is almost identical to that being offered - so the good news is that you don't need to widen the Nova body to fit.

I would personally go down a different front suspension route than the Jag set up being offered.

Clearly the best solution would be to re-unite your blue Nova Mk4 body with the chassis it was modified for, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you have to buy it Alex!

I do hope this project goes to someone with the vision to see it through to completion... this time :wink:

Ah - auction ended, 0 bids.

Lauren

Alzax3
11-04-2012, 07:39 AM
You're right that I don't need to do it - just feels like I ought to! Won't get the chance though as the ad was altered to mention all the interest and include the shell - now it's listed as 'no longer for sale' - but I suppose he may be relisting and including the screen as well?

Spacenut
11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
The seller probably decided that with so much interest in the project it would be worthwhile re-listing with a higher starting price!

At least we know this chassis is still out there... somewhere!

Lauren