PDA

View Full Version : Branding A Nova As Another Marque

NovaF4
23-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I thought it would be interesting to put this out to the forum to gain some understanding as to what you all think about this. It's something that I have never been able to quite comprehend.

I'm talking about when a Nova gets branded as another car, most usually a Ferrari or Lamborghini. This most often takes the form of the selected marque's badge on the bonnet and on the rear panel, and as was the case of my Nova when I first bought it, these badges sometimes find their way onto the steering wheel, and as if that isn't enough, the gear knob too. Yes mine was adorned with the prancing horse. :facepalm:

When I see this on a Nova I think these things:

"Ugh?" :confused1:
"Why?" :nonono:
"Are you not proud that it is a Nova?" :whistling:
"Do you know anything about the Nova?" :whip:
"You complete saddo!" :cry:
"Oh dear you must have a serious inferiority complex" :help:

... that kind of thing.

The first thing I did to my Nova was to remove said offending articles - steering wheel and gear knob. I wouldn't have even wanted them on a Ferrari!

Does anyone here admit to falling victim to this? I'd be interested to hear your reasons as to why you have done this/kept the branding.

Any comments from anyone welcome!

Right, lets delve a little deeper...

What if a Nova had a badge on it that reflected the engine make? I think we can all agree that a VW badge is acceptable. After all that was the make of engine originally intended for the Nova. But what about a Porsche badge for a Porsche engine, a Lotus badge for a Lotus engine, A Ford badge for a Ford engine or an Alfa Romeo badge for an Alfa engine? Do you think that is acceptable or misleading? Should it not explain a little further such as "Powered by Porsche" or "Powered by Alfa Romeo"? In that example the marque names could of course be substituted by a badge.

Or should the Nova just have a "Nova" badge?

Without trying to make excuses at all for those Nova owners who like to make every short sighted person think their car is a Ferrari, I think one of the issues that encourages this act of oddness is because the 'Nova' never had a model name or number. It was always just Nova. Which is a great shame. Having said that I'm rather glad that we in the UK didn't end up with Purvis Eureka! Sorry Mr Purvis. We just have Nova, made by Nova. It's a Nova Nova. That kind of encourages us owners to want to stick a second name onto our cars doesn't it? Temping fate!

Possibly also something to do with Nova owners wanting to pretent it's something it isn't is to do with the name Nova. I admit, I've always had a slight problem with it, more so in the nineties as the word Nova made every single person think of Vauxhall. Not so much any more as thank God they stopped making it quite a while ago so the memory of that car is fading. "What's it called?'. "It's a Nova". What a Vauxhall Nova? HAHAHAHAHA!" Idiots. It's a shame that the courts allowed Vauxhall to keep the name. Couldn't they have come up with a name that hadn't already been used? Let's not forget that it was also used for a Chevy.

One also has to consider the fact that there were never any proper badges for the Nova. Or were there? Not to my knowledge.

At some point I will want to call my car something. Like lots of people I don't want it to just be 'Nova'. I also don't want to stick VW badges all over it. Suffuce to say I'd actually rather not advertise the fact that it's underpinnings are from a Beetle and 'VW' hardly conjures up images of a 'cool' car. When I think of VW I think of 'Golf' or 'Polo'.

I like the idea of "Powered by Alfa Romeo" in a nice elegant font on the back. Maybe pre-defined with a Nova badge. I'm quite proud that it's a Nova. Quite possibly nothing on the front - keep people guessing.

I'll leave you with this lovely photo I found on Flickr of a Nova adorned in Ferrari badges. See how many you can spot. They even appear on the wheels. Which are Porsche. I wonder what's behind the stuck on card on the rear. "360 Spider" probably. It's a mark 4 too. Well at least the rear panel is. So someone has built it/done it up lately. Could they be reading this? Go on own up if you are!

Right, it's gorgeous day. I'm going to stop wasting time writing silly articles on this forum and continue making my F355 replica gear stick (not badges though!). Think I might fire up the engine too and give it a good running. Later!

http://www.thegoodwebcompany.com/sfy36k/youdumbarseitsnotaferrari.jpg

MicksRedNova
23-07-2012, 02:57 PM
It didn't have those badges when it was snapped here, which appears to be Hong Kong:

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/imagepopup.p ... wn_car.jpg (http://www.fccuk.org/forum/imagepopup.php?image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/rikki16vt/Others/unknown_car.jpg)

Interestingly on the same Fiat Coupe :confused1: forum is a pic of:

http://www.fccuk.org/forum/imagepopup.p ... C11257.jpg (http://www.fccuk.org/forum/imagepopup.php?image=http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p462/jbarnes_101/Auto%20Italia%20Brooklands%202010/SDC11257.jpg)

I am firmly in the camp of the 'Call a Nova a Nova' brigade. My steering wheel has a VW logo, but other than the word 'Nova' embossed ?? on the rear panel, there are no indications (or pretentions) attached to my car. I am always happy to tell people the basis of the car at shows and most are visibly amazed by what the humble Beetle can be turned into.

Maybe the 'badge' brigade like to go to single marque shows and manage to blag their way past the 'ignoratti' on the gate who assume it is a rare example of something special being driven by someone important :nonono:

Mick

RazMan
23-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Branding a kit car with a 'normal' marque is simply wrong IMO. I personally dislike all replicas - if you stick a Ferrari badge on a car which is obviously NOT a Ferrari .... it doesn't make it a Ferrari! :protest: The current plethora of MR2 'panel swap' conversions are a case in point. I was once exhibiting my car on a stand at Stoneleigh and ended up next to an MR2 guy who actually even went to the extent of wearing Ferrari overalls. It was pathetic!! The thing is, if a company has the design talent to create something which looks professional and sexy, then why don't they use those skills to create something unique instead of copying something which already has a devoted following (who will probably spit on you if they get the chance for desecrating their individual marque ) :whip:

A Nova IS a Nova, and a very good car it is indeed, so why call it anything else? My previous car was powered by a Ford Duratec V6 but I would never have dreamed of calling it a Ford (I did have a Duratec badge in the engine bay however, just in case anyone didn't recognise the engine :dunce: Just imagine the confusion if the major manufacturers started calling their models by the type of engine fitted - they would mostly be called VW, Audi or Ford these days :bleh:

My car (when I finally get it) is an Avante and will always be called an Avante ............ having said that, it does look a leeeeetle bit like a Nova - so maybe I should call it a Novante? Avantova even? :bleh:

Mostin
23-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi all.

I was working near an MR2 with body kit on the other week which was all badged up as a ferrari & i have to say it i was quite impressed with the way the builder / owner had got it to look just like a big red bag of poo :rofl:

My Nova will be called a Nova on the back. Im looking at putting "powered by XXXX" on it somewhere like the number plate. After all the last thing I want to do is pretend all my work was done by someone else in a car factory.

Thanks.
Mostin.

bushboy
23-07-2012, 05:20 PM
.................................................. ......................

Having said that I'm rather glad that we in the UK didn't end up with Purvis Eureka! Sorry Mr Purvis.

Oh dear, where do I begin. Alan would not be too impressed. Below is a picture of Mr Alan Purvis presenting me, bushboy, with a siged placemat from one of the Eureak Car Clubs annual dinners

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/bushboy554/bushboyalanPurvis.jpg

At least the Eureka has an emblem.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/bushboy554/purvisemblemavitar.jpg

So there :bleh: :bleh:

The Name Eureka does have some signifigance to the struggles that Alan had trying to get the first "NOVA" kit through all of the red tape that has sadly all but killed the kit car industry back in Australia. It also had model names, PL30, F4, Sport (Bruce.....no just joking). Add it all up and the Purvis Eureka has a bit of a heritage. I'm just glad we had more imagination than just to call the differences Mk1, Mk2, Mk3 etc :bleh: :bleh: .

So My Purvis Eureka has the name Eureka on the back in big lettering & a Purvis Eureka (some what faded now) sticker on the front. Keeps them guessing at the fuel station.

I like the Eureka (I'm going to continue calling it that just to annoy you) as it is unique and not a copy of any thing else. If I wanted a Ferrari I'd rob a bank & buy one. So I do not approve of sticking misleading badges on kit cars, even look a likes. As you said with all that tallen why not make something unique, because they don't have any tallent, just a good eye for copying, no imagination.

Well rant has to stop now as my dinner is ready.

Bushboy....Proud owner of the only Purvis Eureka in the UK and possibly the northern hemisphere. :cheers: :clapping: :cheers:

NovaF4
23-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Some interesting comments so far.

Razman...

My car (when I finally get it) is an Avante and will always be called an Avante ............ having said that, it does look a leeeeetle bit like a Nova - so maybe I should call it a Novante? Avantova even?

That kinda contradicts what you have written but I think you're joking. It's an Avante. Please don't change that name! They're lucky enough to even be members of 'our' club. hehe.

Bushy...
Nice rant. :clapping: Not that it was needed though. Alan did well with the red tape and all that. It's just the two names together sound so, er... funny. I mean when you tell people you have a Purvis Eureka, don't tell me people don't laugh and say "a what?" :laugh: Oops. I'm outtahere... :outahere:

MicksRedNova...

It didn't have those badges when it was snapped here, which appears to be Hong Kong...

Good find! "????????????????????????" (Prease get me some Ferrari badges to make this car look more breutful!"

A few mentions on replicas. For some reason I don't mind it when they are of classic racing cars that you can't buy today for love or money. Definately not a Ferrari replica of a 355 or 360. But that's enough of that. I don't want this to turn into a replica rant. That's another subject entirely.

Giles.

MicksRedNova
23-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I always consider mine to be an 'Oakes Nova'. Maybe we should contact the man himself and see if there is a design using his name and the word Nova that he would be willing to endorse as a badge on the backs of the cars. Club Nova could probably get the graphics turned into transfers to sell to owners.

Any suggestions for the design from readers less artistically challenged than me are welcome.

Mick

Peter
23-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Just popping some Lotus badges on my Wife’s' Corsa 1.4 Sport as I couldn't find a 75mm Opal one but little known is that the chassis was designed by Lotus and it goes like poo off a wet shovel with the C14se lump so I know it's silly but has that pedigree. :drive:
Do not like plastic copies of fezzers etc with what are probably illegal badges infringing trade mark laws.
My Eagle SS (MkIII) has the usual "Eagle SS badges rear and sides but also the 'official' Eagle bonnet badge and same to steering wheel centre but a big VW on the boot where the VW engine lives on the end of the VW chassis and I don't care who knows what has just blown them off. Of course we all know that all our cars are usually called "Watsats".
:orly:

supernova2
24-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Hi i agree with you the nova is a car we can all be proud of. i did have a mad moment on mine and stuck on a merk badgejust to see but removed it .i have used the nova patten to design my rear and front stripsbut under the name i have put the words super sports.i have also used the nova name for my center caps i have been thinking of trying to design a bonnet badge for the nova which lights up like the wolsley one from years ago. if any one out their has any idear,s please send me them as it would be nice to see a nova club badge.
I thought it would be interesting to put this out to the forum to gain some understanding as to what you all think about this. It's something that I have never been able to quite comprehend.

I'm talking about when a Nova gets branded as another car, most usually a Ferrari or Lamborghini. This most often takes the form of the selected marque's badge on the bonnet and on the rear panel, and as was the case of my Nova when I first bought it, these badges sometimes find their way onto the steering wheel, and as if that isn't enough, the gear knob too. Yes mine was adorned with the prancing horse. :facepalm:

When I see this on a Nova I think these things:

"Ugh?" :confused1:
"Why?" :nonono:
"Are you not proud that it is a Nova?" :whistling:
"Do you know anything about the Nova?" :whip:
"You complete saddo!" :cry:
"Oh dear you must have a serious inferiority complex" :help:

... that kind of thing.

The first thing I did to my Nova was to remove said offending articles - steering wheel and gear knob. I wouldn't have even wanted them on a Ferrari!

Does anyone here admit to falling victim to this? I'd be interested to hear your reasons as to why you have done this/kept the branding.

Any comments from anyone welcome!

Right, lets delve a little deeper...

What if a Nova had a badge on it that reflected the engine make? I think we can all agree that a VW badge is acceptable. After all that was the make of engine originally intended for the Nova. But what about a Porsche badge for a Porsche engine, a Lotus badge for a Lotus engine, A Ford badge for a Ford engine or an Alfa Romeo badge for an Alfa engine? Do you think that is acceptable or misleading? Should it not explain a little further such as "Powered by Porsche" or "Powered by Alfa Romeo"? In that example the marque names could of course be substituted by a badge.

Or should the Nova just have a "Nova" badge?

Without trying to make excuses at all for those Nova owners who like to make every short sighted person think their car is a Ferrari, I think one of the issues that encourages this act of oddness is because the 'Nova' never had a model name or number. It was always just Nova. Which is a great shame. Having said that I'm rather glad that we in the UK didn't end up with Purvis Eureka! Sorry Mr Purvis. We just have Nova, made by Nova. It's a Nova Nova. That kind of encourages us owners to want to stick a second name onto our cars doesn't it? Temping fate!

Possibly also something to do with Nova owners wanting to pretent it's something it isn't is to do with the name Nova. I admit, I've always had a slight problem with it, more so in the nineties as the word Nova made every single person think of Vauxhall. Not so much any more as thank God they stopped making it quite a while ago so the memory of that car is fading. "What's it called?'. "It's a Nova". What a Vauxhall Nova? HAHAHAHAHA!" Idiots. It's a shame that the courts allowed Vauxhall to keep the name. Couldn't they have come up with a name that hadn't already been used? Let's not forget that it was also used for a Chevy.

One also has to consider the fact that there were never any proper badges for the Nova. Or were there? Not to my knowledge.

At some point I will want to call my car something. Like lots of people I don't want it to just be 'Nova'. I also don't want to stick VW badges all over it. Suffuce to say I'd actually rather not advertise the fact that it's underpinnings are from a Beetle and 'VW' hardly conjures up images of a 'cool' car. When I think of VW I think of 'Golf' or 'Polo'.

I like the idea of "Powered by Alfa Romeo" in a nice elegant font on the back. Maybe pre-defined with a Nova badge. I'm quite proud that it's a Nova. Quite possibly nothing on the front - keep people guessing.

I'll leave you with this lovely photo I found on Flickr of a Nova adorned in Ferrari badges. See how many you can spot. They even appear on the wheels. Which are Porsche. I wonder what's behind the stuck on card on the rear. "360 Spider" probably. It's a mark 4 too. Well at least the rear panel is. So someone has built it/done it up lately. Could they be reading this? Go on own up if you are!

Right, it's gorgeous day. I'm going to stop wasting time writing silly articles on this forum and continue making my F355 replica gear stick (not badges though!). Think I might fire up the engine too and give it a good running. Later!

http://www.thegoodwebcompany.com/sfy36k/youdumbarseitsnotaferrari.jpg

letterman7
24-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Much has to do with perception. Putting a Ferrari badge on a Nova/Sterling is acknowledging that the owner doesn't care about the pedigree, but wants to pass the car off as his version of a known exotic. Whatever.. I personally don't agree with it, but whatever floats a particular owners boat. Those are the kind of guys who are the posers, who want to say 'I own a Ferrari/Lambo/whatever'. Now, for the people who build the Ferrari/Lamborghini replicas, it makes total sense to have the "correct" badges in place. There was a replica Murcielago at our east coast show this past year that was technically perfect, even down to a Jaguar V12 engine under the bonnet with a replica Lambo fuel rail system on it. It was stunning, yet still a replica. Is it wrong to put the correct badges on that car? No way - it added to the reality factor, and the owner said he openly admitted it was a replica to people who didn't know - and that probably brought more personal pride to him than anything else.

And that is what it all comes down to in the end - pride in the heritage of the vehicle and pride in what you have done to the car. I love having the Sterling badges on my car - inevitably the question gets asked 'wasn't that a British car imported in the '80's'? To which I say, yes, it's a British car, but built in the '70's, and then the conversation begins with a new sense of wonder from the attendee!

NovaF4
24-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice one Letterman. I get the feeling that the Sterling probably goes down better in the states than the Nova does here. People here are quick to diss it. The French are the opposite. They LOVE it. At least from my experiences driving down from the North coast to Le Mans and Loire Valley region. Smiles and genuine interest all round.

There was a replica Murcielago at our east coast show this past year that was technically perfect, even down to a Jaguar V12 engine under the bonnet with a replica Lambo fuel rail system on it. It was stunning, yet still a replica. Is it wrong to put the correct badges on that car? No way - it added to the reality factor, and the owner said he openly admitted it was a replica to people who didn't know - and that probably brought more personal pride to him than anything else.

There's no doubt that I agree, if you are going to build a replica then do it as perfect as possible and put the correct badges on, as in the example you wrote about. I would have used a BMW V12 but never mind. But that wasn't really the point in question. It wasn't about people putting badges on replicas, it was about people putting other marque badges on the Nova/Sterling. Posers? I'd call them deluded ...ers.

G

Peter
24-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I have one lit up bonnet badge but it's easy on the Eagle one as its made of plastic so just a 1" hole under it and a LED on a bit of plastic glued up over the underside, job done.
It has been kicked about a bit in the past to come up with a Nova design that could be used for bonnet, steering wheel and hub caps as well as a heading/logo, never seem to nail it though and I can understand why, it was a lot of mucking about untill I said "OK, this is the Eagle logo to be used on all Eagle club stuff". :whip: and so it is, (so far) :whistling:

Alzax3
24-07-2012, 07:28 PM
aardvark

Spacenut
24-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Interesting thread you have kicked off here Giles. I'm afraid you can't alter the culture here - turn up in a flashy looking car of any sort and there will always be someone who tries to put it down.

The Nova name was the winning entry in a competition kicked off by Hot Car in 1972. Prior to that neither Richard or Phil had a name for the car, although there is some evidence to suggest that John Willment, who financed the initial production run, wanted to call it the Willment Meteor.

The company founded to produce the Nova was called Automotive Design & Development (Southampton) Ltd., to give it its full name. Usually contracted to ADD, most people read "add Nova", and then ask "to what?".

After ADD there was Nova Cars, TFS, various trading names that don't really trip off the tongue.

I can't say I am a big fan of the "powered by..." badges. They are only there to satisfy the Corporate lawyers, but appearing on countless Cobras and GT40s has given them a certain cachet I suppose. There again, I am even less enamoured by the attempts by DeTomaso, Jensen et al. to disguise their Ford/Chrysler engines using monogrammed cast rocker covers. I once saw a Countach replica with cast Lamborghini rocker covers on its Rover V8. Laugh? I nearly paid for 12 months road tax...

So here I am - 6 years on and I still don't have any badges on the Green Machine. My camshaft covers proudly proclaim they are Alfa Romeo, but of course nobody can see them. One of the two Nova demonstrators in the 1978 Nova brochure (the LHD one with the Turbovecs and whitewall tyres) had "nova" stencilled onto the LH side of the rear transom in lower case Eurostile font. When I finally get round to a respray I will probably just have that. As Giles and others have pointed out, this will inevitably provoke more questions than it answers, but it is in the nature of this machine to generate comment, both good and bad. Everyone has an opinion where the Nova is concerned!

Lauren

MicksRedNova
24-07-2012, 10:04 PM
The people I feel sorry for are the passengers in cars who overtake us on the motorway on the way to shows and days out. They twist their heads so far round to see what badge is on the bonnet (as they brake hard and give cars behind a brake test :drive: ) it seems a shame that we don't do something to oblige by putting a good badge on the back - if only to cut their bills with the chiropractor or osteopath or whoever it is that people with knackered necks go to. :facepalm:

Mick

Yessong
25-07-2012, 06:28 PM
With the help of Letterman a few years back I had this done on the back of my Sterling:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/Yessong/Campbell%20Town%20Car%20Show/IMG_0002.jpg

People still ask what it is. Unless you write the name followed by..."It's a Kit car" ...they will continue to be confused. Personally, it's the confusion on their part that I find so amusing

Alzax3
25-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Glad someone has brought this up - and I agree with the general consensus: I guess if you wanted (and managed) to shoe-horn a Ferrari engine/gearbox (and pretty much everything else if you wanted it to handle and stop) into a Nova, you could put Ferrari badges on it - But then if you had all the Ferrari mechanicals and that marque of car is what floats your boat, wouldn't it make more sense to rebuild a Ferrari?

Novas are their own individual unique and amazing design and dolling them up as pathetic imitations of something their engineering can't hope to compete with is as classy and satisfying as the 30 quid genuine gold swiss watch you bought down the market when drunk.... insert soapbox emoticon of your choice!

NovaF4
25-07-2012, 07:35 PM
That's very caring of you Mick.

...Automotive Design & Development

...Yes of course, how could I forget. So in answer to "what is it?". The answer is "It's an (deep breath)... Automotive Design & Development (breath)... Nova". Quite possibly the longest name for a car company ever. How stupid! They didn't stop to think about the poor owners of their cars who were not only going to have to say that every time someone asked but also going to have to figure out how the hell to make a badge up with 36 characters (including spaces) to fit on the rear!

Speaking of which, I couldn't help but pause at your words - 'rear transom'. Now there's a word I'd never heard of before. From now on I'll call it a rear transom. Thanks! :cheers:

NovaF4
25-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Yessong, your Sterling looks cool. I like the idea of the grill across the rear transom, albeit yours is a decal. I've often thought about cutting that area and putting a grill in. It would no doubt weaken the area though and be an extra place for rain to get in.

G

Yessong
25-07-2012, 08:14 PM
It was a means to an end, actually, as the paint had some minor crazing. This was just easier than having to repaint the whole darn thing.

Spacenut
26-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Unless you write the name followed by..."It's a Kit car" ...they will continue to be confused.

Haha - yes, that's it!

Nova... its a kit car

Perfect :rofl:

CyCo
27-07-2012, 06:48 AM
That doesn't' always work. I once had some complete twit say, after I told him it was a kit car, "it looks nothing like KITT". :facepalm:

As for badgeing a car with another marque's badge/logo, I don't see the point. I have seen one or two photos of Nova/Eureka/Sterlings as a VW, which isn't too bad. But that's about as far as I see it. Maybe if it has a engine from another manufacturer, then a small badge on the rear of the car, or maybe down low on one side , but again that's it. Here I've seen them badged as Lambos, Fezzas, Porkas, and Lotus. The latter two may have had a Porsche or Lotus engine, I don't know. Mine has no badges what so ever. Certainly won't end up with a Subaru badge.

If I ever do any badge work on mine, it will get something similar to what BB has on his at the nose, maybe on on the rear. With maybe the word Eureka and another with S4. Why S4? Follows previous naming nomenclature. The F4 was named because it was designed for a Ford 4 cylinder. So mine must be a S4 then. That, and the current owner of the business(who has don't nothing with the cars in over a decade), even had plans for a space framed version with a Subaru engine, which he called an S4.

If I wanted to get silly I could call it something like a FG1800TS4. lol

As for the car being named Purvis Eureka? That's what it is. Is Ford Falcon funny? That's what it is. It was made by Henry Fords motor company, and the company was named after him. While the original design of the Eureka was there in the UK, it was built here by Alan Purvis. Having met the guy, he's a nice bloke and even said he was envious of my 'reek and my club hoody (with meet badges down one sleeve from every meet so far). The name Eureka was chosen because of an event here in Australia early on in colonization, where miners rose up against the establishment over hardships enforced upon them. The closest thing we have in our history to a civil war. Alan chose to name the car after the Eureka Stockade, as symbolism because of the struggles he had in getting the car though all the red tape back then, and to honor the 30 miners who lost their lives on that night (The second version of the Eureka was called the PL30. PL were the initials of Peter Lalor, who effectively led the minors, and 30 for the 30 miners who died).

There are far more weirder or worse names for cars out there. Nissian Cedric or Nissan Gloria anyone? :laugh: