PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Avante Owners

RazMan
05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this subject but here goes ..... (mods please move if required)

Having now assessed my new toy, it appears that the chassis has succumbed to the dreaded tin worm and is way too rotted to repair with the body in place. The framehead is toast and the driver's floorpan is mostly fresh air so I will need to remove the body at some point to effect repairs or find a new chassis :cry: The trouble is that I haven't a clue how to start this process and badly need guidance :dunce:

Bearing in mind this is a Mac strut 1303 chassis, the process has be quite similar to the Nova but with a few obvious differences. I have got a Beetle Haynes manual on the way which should give me a good starting point but can I appeal to any Avante builders out there (I know there are just a few of us :group: ) who might have some pictures, advice or just general comments which might help me in my quest to put a very rare car back on the road.

Thanks in advance guys :)

bobbybrown
05-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Moved to the chassis forum :)

westy2
10-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Hi i bought a avante last year but due to illness have not been able to start any major work on it.

Hoping get started soon, i need to take the body off as well.Have you managed to do yours ?
Any advice ?

Gary

Peter
10-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Westy, You did apply two weeks in advance to be ill so you are not allowed to be sick, please ignore all symptoms and get on with the car.

westy2
03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Well i have started to get the body ready for lift off and am a bit worried :( .Have found that either the body or the chassis is twisted :help: O/S front down about 1.5 cm,and the N/S rear down about 1.5 cm.
Hope it puts its self right when it goes back on, or does anyone know how to put this right :please:

Westy

Peter
03-06-2013, 09:43 AM
With the body off, place the 'kipper' on four axle stands of equal height, (AKA, breeze blocks) then check for twist by measuring from the four corners of the floor pan (ends of the bulkheads) to the floor.

Alzax3
04-06-2013, 06:48 AM
Are you sure it's a problem? Kits are notoriously inaccurate - there's about 25mm lateral difference in the Nova wheelarches left to right...... The Avante has a subrame incorporated in the body as far as I remember too, which could also add to any distortion you're noticing.

westy2
04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the advice lads.Will find out when the body is off.
I have the Gulf stream Avante which has been passed around for years, with each owner messing around with it then abandoning it. 2001 was the last time it was on the road.
Only thing that i will struggle with is the windows,i have the glass but no mechanisms or frames in the doors :facepalm:
BUT I WILL NOT BE BEATEN :thumbup: