PDA

View Full Version : avante front beam replacement?advice?

doctor924
20-08-2012, 07:59 AM
HI All,

I'm going to change the front beam on my avante during the upcoming autumn/winter and woudl welcome any advice on how to do this.
I'm changing it as the OSF arm looks a little out of true - and the spare i have from Jem is in far better shape.
I am new to Beetle stuff -so forgive the ignorance of my questions - Its the same kind of front beam as with Nei's green nova:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3475 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3475)

Questions - where do I support the car underneath?
Compared to the nova - the avante seems to have slightly better clearance - I can see the turret top bolts - but is anything hidden?
Anyone know of a step by step guide to removal? Which bolts first etc?

Thanks

Ian

Peter
20-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Once the wheels are off and brake lines are clamped and cleared and the steering undone it is just a matter of undoing the four main bolts and dropping the whole beam down in one piece on a trolley jack and slide it out. Best place to support the chassis it just behind the front wheels, I use a piece of 15mm board on top of axle stands so I don't dent the floor pan. There are two M8 mounting points above the tubes which may also be used for brackets.

doctor924
20-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks Peter - it looks straightforward (I hope)
ian