PDA

View Full Version : nova ice

bluerushen
25-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Sad to say i have to sell this great car due to rheumatism in my hip, so i struggle to get in and drive.
It is mot'd till March 2013 and taxed till Feb 2013,so its ready to drive away, i am looking for offers over 5,000.
You can look at the previous for sale add for the spec and pictures of this car as i don't seem to be able to down load pictures of it which i took this week. You can PM me for more details and pictures or to arrange to see the car.
Thanks Mark

bluerushen
10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
now sold, staying in country, going to kent

MicksRedNova
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Mark

Shame that your Nova ownership was so short lived, best of luck with whatever you try next.

I hope you pointed the new owner towards this site so that we don't lose track of Nova ICE. If he's Kent way maybe we will see him at Detling next year.

Mick

Peter
11-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Sad to say i have to sell this great car due to rheumatism in my hip, so i struggle to get in and drive.
Thanks Mark
I have a replacement left knee and osteoarthritis in my right hip and three dodgy vertebra, V2,3 & 5, and getting in and out of the SS isn't easy, am I selling it, HELL NO! Some things are just worth a bit of pain. (like the wife, :whip: :argue: )

bobbybrown
16-09-2012, 08:45 AM
The new owner has just been made a member of the forum, I have spoken to him via email a little and I can say from these emails that it is no longer "Nova Ice" and the new owner has some changes planned, I will let him explain the rest of his plans himself when he has time to come on and post.

Welcome to the forums Keith.

NovaF4
16-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I can say from these emails that it is no longer "Nova Ice" and the new owner has some changes planned

Surely not? :whistling:

:outahere:

steve
16-09-2012, 08:24 PM
[...] I can say from these emails that it is no longer "Nova Ice" and the new owner has some changes planned [...]
Good.
I hope he gets rid of the all the black lettering, stickers, pinstripes, etc... hmmm maybe one of the new-design rear Nova badges would suit :wink:
Oh, and change the wheels for a modern, classy set of alloys.
And somehow the headlights /headlight cover combo doesn't quite work...

I don't think the new owner should feel obliged to explain his plans on the forum, it's his car, but I'd certainly be interested.
Although thinking about it, the new owner is entitled to tell me to keep my unsolicited 'advice' to myself.

Steve

NovaF4
16-09-2012, 09:00 PM
So nice to see someone in my camp. Up until this bit...

Oh, and change the wheels for a modern, classy set of alloys.

:facepalm:

Peter
17-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Wheel, wheel, wheel, a differnce of opinion. As usual, that's what keeps it interesting. :thumbup:

KEITHCANFIXIT
23-09-2012, 07:39 PM
In answer to all your speculation, I am the new owner of NOVA ICE,hi ,my name is Keith,live in Kent and in reply to some of your comments I will tell you Steve that the name of NOVA ICE has shall we say been put on ice. The stickers have all gone, to much of an advertisement for would be thieves as this car is going to be used alot,well up to the 3000 miles a year the insurance company will allow. The only decal is the clubs Nova badge on the rear and mark4 on the side of the roof, but the rest have been removed,sorry to anyone who liked it like that,but the are more important issues to sort out as follows
1, The steering box is going to go, and it will be replaced with a dolomite steering rack coupled to a pug 206 adjustable steering column. 1" of play is just not acceptable
2, Although it has twin webers, the are no manual chokes fitted,its on the list
3, The roof does not shut fully, as you can see from the side stripes,thanks Steve
4, The accelerator peddle is a joke/deathtrap, especially when driving back from Essex having bought it and driven it back in the dark and the pedal flops on to the floor pan, good fun pussy footing around to find it in the dark I can tell you.
5, Various electrics mirrors ect... need sorting, and the blue cloth interior will be replaced with blue leather.
6, Finally,for now that is the speedo is to be moved over to the right so you can actually see it when driving.

I know this car has been around the shows for a while,mostly trailered as only 8600 miles since built in 98, but now it is going to be driven properly, I want it totally safe,not just looking good.

Sorry to anyone who loved the old ice,but she has melted and will be improved !!!!!

I welcome all your thoughts or comments good or bad, we are each entitled to our own opinion, but I want a car to enjoy driving safely as well as looking good, but I will say if I do rename her, it will not be plastered all over the sides...Sorry Chaps

Best wishes to the group

KEITH

KEITHCANFIXIT
23-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Having blown off steam, I forgot to say thanks to Dan for his help in getting registered and on this site, will sort out a donation this week,pint was it Dan hee hee.
Keith

NovaF4
23-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Keith. Liked your post. It made me laugh.

Good luck with the improvements.

Giles.

KEITHCANFIXIT
23-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks Giles, it may have ruffled a few feathers, but I take no prisoners, one thing though, the wheels are staying as they are.

Keith

bobbybrown
23-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Glad you managed to log in Keith, looking forward to seeing the car with your changes.

Best of luck!

Dan

bushboy
23-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Keith,
Welcome. Is 3000 all you're planning???? I managed to put 30,000 on the clock in a little over 3 years. You can get reasonable I durance for moe miles. Most of the miles I put on the clock were commuting from Essex to Headcorn in all weather. I'll be pounding the black top in it again soon, after a non scheduled rewire.
Hope to see you out there.
Bushboy

Spacenut
23-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the forum Keith. Sounds like you have some very clear plans for the car which will make a big difference to how it drives - I'm all in favour of that!

Bold graphics are an acquired taste, but with few exceptions (Pantera GTS5 perhaps?) tend to adorne cars that don't deserve such attention. The lines of the Nova do all the talking as far as I am concerned, and don't need anything else. Besides, everyone will still think its a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Lotus, no matter what is plastered on the flanks!

I have old F3 steel wheels on the Green Machine. It tends to divide opinion, some say they look great, others say not. I use the wheels as a means of spreading the rubber on the road and that's it. I have yet to find a set of alloy wheels that will tempt me to change, so the steels stay for the moment!

Dolly rack has been a popular choice in the past, but the VW trailing arm steering geometry is closer to that of the Macpherson strut, which minimises bump-steer by having very long (equal length) steering arms from a central sliding saddle. As long as the rack is rear-steer, you shouldn't have any trouble. Actually, what about the Pug rack as well as the column? Or is that front-steer?

Good luck with the modifications, I look forward to seeing your Mk4 at a show soon.

Lauren

steve
24-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for taking my comments in good spirit.

Personally, I don't think you've ruffled any feathers,
I think there were a few folk worried that there would be a plank of wood bolted to the back, painted in glitter and called a 'Lambo Wing'.
As it turns out, you've de-blinged the car and are talking about safety and driveability, I don't see any reason for negative comments.

If you have time, post up a few words and some pics as you work through your to-do list,
following how owners are progressing with their builds/mods is the most interesting part of the forum.

Steve

[Edit: Corrected a typo]

CyCo
24-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Keith, you may have bought someone's car, but it's now yours. You're not bound by any law to keep it the same. You want to change it, you can.

Looking forward to your mods. I had a bit of a chuckle about '1" of play not being acceptable'. When I first got my 'reek, I had a full 1/4 turn of the steering wheel as 'play'. Not try that when pelting along a quiet windy, hilly country road, with trees on one side and either a hill or slope on the other at sometimes over 60mph.

:laugh:

Alzax3
24-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Glad you'll be making it safe, and making it suit you. Don't think that Kevin trailered it to shows though - possibly the mileometer is like mine and doesn't record half what the car does?

KEITHCANFIXIT
24-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for all your comments, hey Steve what a great idea ,a glitter lambo wing,maybe with a few glitter balls hanging off each end,but then that might show a white light at the rear,totally illegal I think.
I appreciate your input and suggestions ,Lauren. Personally I like the look of your wheels and what was it ,15 seconds to get the roof up, at least it opened so why worry,when it does not open then is the time to worry.
Did think about acquiring a vetol turbine off a now defunct harrier jumpjet fitted to rear for engine cooling but the weight of it could be a problem.

Anyway keep all suggestions coming, be they good or bad, welcome any constructive comments . Cheers Keith

Oh just remember ,has anyone got a schematic of the smiths hydraulic pump showing input/output,controls ect they could email a copy of to me,many thanks

MicksRedNova
24-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Oh just remember ,has anyone got a schematic of the smiths hydraulic pump showing input/output,controls ect they could email a copy of to me,many thanks

Keith
I'm certain the Smiths Pump info is in the Modifications Manual that you can find via the opening page of this site (it is a bit of a hunt but it is there).

Glad to see Kevin's old Nova is in the hands of someone willing to keep it on the road and clock up a few miles. Kevin used to attend most of the main shows each year (never on a trailer as far as I know) so we look forward to seeing what you've changed or improved. Are you likely to make Exeter this year? It's 27th / 28th October. If not then maybe we will see you at Detling, Stoneleigh and Newark next year.

Mick

Spacenut
25-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I think the hydraulic pump in Nova, er... Keith's car, is a Smiths Quiet Pump, rather than a mini-pack, so it works on the polarity reversal principle. Also I don't believe the modifications manual has details of this pump or its connections, unless it is a very late revision. I do remember seeing the wiring diagram in one of my old club newsletters, I will see if I can look it out...

Lauren

MicksRedNova
25-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I think the hydraulic pump in Nova, er... Keith's car, is a Smiths Quiet Pump, rather than a mini-pack

Lauren
OK didnt know that, belay your search for MOD manual Keith..

Mick

KEITHCANFIXIT
25-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Lauren to the rescue, what would we do without you...cheers Keith

Mostin
26-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Keith.

Welcome to the forum & good to see you have some plans to make your new Nova your own. You paid your money & its yours so you can change or mod what you want its your car now.

The important bit is its going to be on the road :drive:

Have fun along the way :cheers:

Mostin.

Spacenut
26-09-2012, 08:18 PM
anyone got a schematic of the smiths hydraulic pump showing input/output,controls ect they could email a copy of to me,many thanks

Hi Keith - found the original Smiths quiet pump schematics in a '93 edition of the club newsletter. Its as I thought, the pump has just two wires, and works in either forward or reverse directions depending on the polarity of the voltage applied across them. This requires a ganged pair of changeover relays, like the circuit supplied by Ces in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3210&start=0 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3210&start=0)

The original schematic used the simpler of the two circuits drawn up by Ces, I'll leave you to make up your own mind about the risks associated with having +12V and earth connections on the same relay. The other circuit I recognise as a bridge motor controller, which is used extensively in robotics, amongst other things :D

Has the pump packed up on Nova de-iced?

Lauren

MicksRedNova
26-09-2012, 09:58 PM
anyone got a schematic of the smiths hydraulic pump showing input/output,controls ect they could email a copy of to me,many thanks

Hi Keith - found the original Smiths quiet pump schematics.

Lauren

They are also on page 114 of the Modification Manual.

Mick

Spacenut
27-09-2012, 05:27 PM
OK, my manual is an early version so doesn't cover the quiet pump. Should be easier to interface than a Mini-pack.

Still not sure why Keith needs the circuit details though, unless Nova de-iced has had a hydraulic failure. What gives Keith?

Lauren

KEITHCANFIXIT
27-09-2012, 08:03 PM
What gives Keith????? I don't know you tell me Lauren,did send reply to your helpful message, don't know where it has disappeared to, but thanks anyway once again....Keith

KEITHCANFIXIT
27-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Hiya, can any of you good people who have seen Nova ice at shows, now de-iced tell me if the outer black seal on the roof edge is necessary, is it to cover a fragile edge or raw edge ect,I think it spoils the lines of the white bodywork, and I have seen other novas without it, was it a mk4 addition or builders??? And can anyone tell me if I can find a paint code on the body, nothing on original bill of sale ect. for the white in the gel coat or do I have to drive it into my nearest B/Q and use the spectrum analyser at the dulux paint desk, though that could be fun. Cheers Keith :crossfinger:

Spacenut
27-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Hi Keith - not sure what the black trim conceals on the Mk4 - I know that during the Mk2 era the Elams stopped supplying kits with the canopy and hinges ready-fitted, so it was left to the owner to trim the canopy to fit. Many made a hash of it, and used self-adhesive trim strips to conceal the wobbly lines.

The Mk4 was a much better quality kit, although I don't know if Sam went as far as pre-fitting the canopies. Perhaps one of our other Mk4 owners knows? Jimcub?

Nevertheless, the black trim on Nova de-iced may just be a protective strip. Is it glued down? Rivetted in place? Can you remove a small section but re-attach it if you need to?

White gel coat probably has a RAL colour code, but there are probably a few shades out there, depending on who supplied the mix to Sam. I would say the Halfrauds spectrometer is your best bet!

Lauren

KEITHCANFIXIT
27-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks, strangely enough I was going to suggest Ral 9010, the only problem with any spectrum analyser is getting to the car,most are fixed to a desktop computer paint mixer. I do know the the original owner had a lot of problems getting the roof supplied as the manufacturers sent letters of apology to him regarding the delay in completing the order ,eventually some 6 months after he receive the body tub and fit is not the greatest, guess I am going to have to get the sanders out and try and get it as near to perfect as I can, it is not up to my standards by a long way yet. The plastic beading is evo-stiked to the outer edge, does not appear to act as any form of water seal whatsoever as I can get my fingers :cry: in under the outer edge in quite a few places,especially around the top rear section where you had to reglass/fill. Many thanks for your prompt reply.

NovaF4
27-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Just pull it all off and see what lurks beneath.

Spacenut
28-09-2012, 06:00 PM
The plastic beading is evo-stiked to the outer edge, does not appear to act as any form of water seal whatsoever

Hi Keith - the outer trim doesn't seal against the body, that function should be performed by a sponge rubber seal glued around the inner periphery of the canopy. Hopefully it's there!

I know Kevin's car was right near the end of the production run on Mk4's (possibly even the last car, which I think was number 18), so I guess Sam was trying to find a way out at that point.

Giles is right - if it offends thee, pluck it out!

Lauren

KEITHCANFIXIT
28-09-2012, 08:45 PM
OOOOOHHH!!!!! sounds painful, oh to pull it off or pluck it out, decisions decisions. :rofl: :rofl:

NovaF4
28-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Rip it baby.

KEITHCANFIXIT
27-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Ok folks ,further to my recent notification of the car being put up for sale, have now taken a part time job and all the work I quoted for over the winter period have now confirmed start dates........typical, it never rains but it pours.
So the car is no longer for sale and is in the process of being stripped down for bodyoff rebuild and modification, starting with a name change, so in future Nova Ice or Nova deiced will be renamed as ..........inNOVAtion.

islandman
28-05-2015, 12:27 AM
Ok folks ,further to my recent notification of the car being put up for sale, have now taken a part time job and all the work I quoted for over the winter period have now confirmed start dates........typical, it never rains but it pours.
So the car is no longer for sale and is in the process of being stripped down for bodyoff rebuild and modification, starting with a name change, so in future Nova Ice or Nova deiced will be renamed as ..........inNOVAtion.

Good luck, but beware body off rebuilds always take longer than anticipated. When my Nova body came off it was about 8 years before it saw its next MOT!

Mostin
28-05-2015, 08:17 AM
That's all good news on all fronts. The worst thing to see would be your project going down the road as you wave it off.

Have fun with getting you nova's kit off & the rebuild.

I've got to agree with islandman. Time can run away with you.

Cheers.
Mostin.

Gmacz
28-05-2015, 11:21 AM
What is wrong with it that it needs a body off rebuild or is it just for some major mods to happen.

KEITHCANFIXIT
28-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Nothing wrong with it, but changing steering box to rack with adjustable column, full retrim in blue leather, modernise pedal system and body mods plus colour change, not going to rush it so two years maybe , we shall see.

Mostin
28-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Sounds good & mods that will only make the Nova a better car :thumbup:

Enjoy the project & looking forward to seeing it develop.
:cheers:
Mostin

MicksRedNova
28-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Keith
Suggest you start a new thread under 'Your Cars' to track the progress of InNOVAtion.

Rather than continue in the Nova Ice for sale area.

Mick