PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Instruments

NovaF4
08-12-2012, 08:58 AM
The style of my Nova has changed since I bought my dash instruments and I've decided that I'd like black faces for them. Unfortunately the company that I bought them from - ETB Instruments - have just told me that they don't re-face old instruments even though they still make the same type (odd?), so I'd like to try to sell them on here if anyone is interested so that I can make up some of the cost of buying a new set.

They all work perfectly and look like new. They have custom silver pointers, white faces and matt black bevels.

I've got the wiring instructions and leaflets that came with them and the receipt.

http://www.thegoodwebcompany.com/sfy36k/dashboard/IMG_0043.jpg

Offers please.

CyCo
09-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Why not reface them yourself? And as we have a couple graphic designers/desk top publisher types on the forum, they could do some up on top quality film for you to boot, if you ask nicely. Here's the first example I found with photos (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?14219-Gauge-Reface-How-To), but there are plenty of other places on the net with how to's on refacing gauges.

:wink:

If you're lucky, if could be as simple as getting direct access to the gauge faces, removing the pointers, and scanning the actual face of the gauge. Then use Photoshop (or similar) to flip the colours around (create a negative would work, maybe). Have them printed out on a sheet of top quality film with an adhesive backing, fit to the gauges, reassemble, and fit to the car.

Won't be that simple though I imagine. You've done a heap of custom touches on your Nova, you could to that one extra. Found another example of how to for custom gauges (http://www.decibelcar.com/diy-performance/217.html). You could have your Nova on the face of one or more of your gauges. Or photos of your loved ones. Or a sci-fi scene. Maybe military jets screaming across a cloudy sky. Unleash your imagination.

:wink: :D

NovaF4
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Nice idea but I haven't got the time to do something like that. For the hassle I may as well buy new ones even if the current ones don't sell. I'm surprised no one has offered on them. They'd be perfect for many Nova builds I'm reading about on this forum.

I've seen some replica Countach ones that I may purchase. I just need to figure out how to remove the Lamborghini badge from the Speedo and rev counter.

Spacenut
09-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I've always liked the Stewart-Warner gauges used on the early LP400 Countach - also used on most early US Sterlings. No Lamborghini badges on those!

The 270° speedo was oriented for best visibility, with 0 at 5 o'clock and 200 mph (or whatever) at 1 o'clock. That put the odometer on its side, so SW simply re-oriented the digits to suit :clapping:

That's just the kind of avante-garde engineering for which Lamborghini are justly famed.

Out of interest Giles, why do you want to change to black faces now?

Lauren

NovaF4
10-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Out of interest Giles, why do you want to change to black faces now?

Well, I figured that I wanted a masculine interior that was reminiscent of late 70's/early 80's era sports cars. All of the examples I found had guages with black faces and none had white faces.

It was 12 years ago when I bought those gauges which was probably around the time when white face instruments were all the rage. I must have got caught up in it. Since then I've decided on the look I want the Nova to have.

My interior is probably going to be a mixture of black alcantara, black leather and the odd chrome touch like the gear stick.

I might even sand off that lovely silver paint from my dashboard and paint it black.

Giles

Peter
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Amazing how fashion changes and how fast! When I first built Ukhozi in 1995 I had black faced Smiths gauges from the Triumph range mounted in a central pod and the whole dash pod thing covered with red leather, (now used in the Ferrari California) Then I went digital in black leather, then two years ago red leather sides to the consul with black leather cloth facings. Now it's carbon fibre that is all the rage which was considered a bit 'boy racer' just a couple of years ago, so I'm looking at changing things to match my new seats with red carbon fibre sides with black carbon facings and dash top and black glass over the gauges and less plastic ‘chrome’ edging with the whole thing slimmed down by using thinner and stronger modern materials rather than the 5mm ply I use at the moment., I'll get it done one day, if they don't keep changing the fashion.

NovaF4
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Indeed. But going by fashion is exactly what I won't be doing with the Nova. This is the first time I've actually done up the interior and I'm choosing to make it look right for it's age. Not change it every time car interior 'fashion' changes.

Spacenut
10-12-2012, 09:31 PM
Quite right. If you try and follow the latest fashion you will never get finished. And I must admit I prefer gauges with white lettering on a black face. Somehow the white faced instruments always reminded me of a Victorian steam engine :sorry:

Lauren

CyCo
11-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Quite right. If you try and follow the latest fashion you will never get finished. And I must admit I prefer gauges with white lettering on a black face. Somehow the white faced instruments always reminded me of a Victorian steam engine :sorry:

Lauren

What's wrong with Victorian (ok, they're not white, but still... :wink: )

http://www.build-threads.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/053.jpg

LotusNova
11-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I'd love to see a steampunk Nova. The roof mechanism would be pretty cool :)

Peter
11-12-2012, 10:35 AM
I would love to go 'retro' too but having decided to make the car 'show worthy' for the "Compression tuning" shows we have here and prizes of 2,000€ in each catagory, one has to have it 'current' and at the moment that means slim, sleek intiriors in colour and carbon fibre with tatesful use of hundreds of LED highlighs, (at 702 and counting), LCD displays and gadgets.

CyCo
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
I'd love to see a steampunk Nova. The roof mechanism would be pretty cool :)

Obviously not a Nova, but it's still quite cool.

http://www.build-threads.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/163.jpg

It resides, and gets ridden, in Tasmania.

I promise, no more hijacking the topic. My bad.

:sorry:

Alzax3
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Of course a 'Steam Punk' Nova might just get noticed by the custom car/street machine fraternity, which might raise the profile a little........

TwoOfUs
21-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi F4

Years late - but did you sell the gauges?

Kind regards

Al