PDA

View Full Version : Rad size.

Mostin
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi all.

This is one for the water pumpers out there. I've offered up the subaru radiator which matches my enigine (2.0L non turbo) over the last weekend & have to say it's pritty big coming in at 18 inch x 28 inch which looking at it will be too big to fit under the front bonnet unless I drive around with it open a tad :laugh:

So It looks like I'm on the hunt for a smaller rad. The last thing I want to do is go too small so it doesn't do the job. To help in the seach I need to ask those who have gone before me what you have used?

Many thanks.
Mostin

Spacenut
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi Mostin - I think this is one for Dirk, who has already done this conversion.

All I can say is that I have also used a complimentary Alfasud engine and radiator in my car, and with the air intake in the nose (Mk1 undertray) and reversed bonnet nostrils for air extraction, the cooling margins are considerably larger than those of the donor, to the extent that the cooling fans rarely come on at all during a long trip, even in hot weather.

Lauren

Dirk
03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Mostin

I had a Metro radiator up front and it worked a treat but you do need to reverse the nostrils or create an alternative air flow. Much like Lauren said my fan only ever came on in slow traffic but still kept in cool enough.

Dirk

islandman
04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Like Lauren I used the original Alfa radiator, although I did have a new thicker core put in, three tubes wide if I remember correctly.

CyCo
04-07-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm running a ea82t Subaru motor, and I think a Commodore radiator up front. Mind you, the entire set up was like that when I got the car, and the radiator instal is very crude.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/cycoholic/My%20Eureka%20F4/RadiatorBatterySetup.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/cycoholic/media/My%20Eureka%20F4/RadiatorBatterySetup.jpg.html)

Eventually, the plan is to craft a new subframe up front, which will hold two smaller radiators up front in series, much like the Porkas.

:wink:

edmorton
04-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Likewise, I'm using a 2.0 Focus radiator with 2 fans. Can't say if it works yet though!

I was suprised how little it weighs. It's a thin aluminium core with plastic header tanks as opposed to the all metal construction on ye olde worlde GBS Zero that I'm more familiar with. It's so lightly constructed it tends to flex if given the chance.

The core measures 600 by 358mm.

Ed