PDA

View Full Version : Bolting body panels together

islandman
31-08-2013, 07:08 AM
For the last 20 plus years of pulling my car apart and putting it back together I never really thought much about the need (or not) to use any form of gasket between the panels and main body shell (front undertray, side panels, rear end etc..). It was all in original gel coat so not real issues with paint rubbing on paint and any associated damage to think about. Especially as it was multi coloured as my modification work evolved over time and I knew once day I would eventually get it all painted.

Well that day finally came :groupwave: , and I now have a dilemma :confused1: . My intention (at the moment) is not to use a bump strip around the panel join lines. So the question is “should I or should I not worry about bolting painted surfaces tightly up against each other?” :please:

What have other done?

Is it worth considering a thin (1mm) nitrile rubber gasket between the panels. Or what else might work?

All thoughts, suggestions or general sarcasm gratefully received :blushing:

NovaF4
31-08-2013, 08:16 AM
After what you've spent on the paint job I don't think it should ever hit the road. Rather, keep it in a dedicated room in the house as a piece of art.

G

Spacenut
31-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Dave - I don't think there is any danger of the painted surfaces rubbing once they have been firmly bolted together. However, as the flanges don't necessarily align that well, there is a danger that a local pressure point might crack the paint at the corner, and that might not look so nice.

I did consider using wing piping but by all accounts the uneven distance between the panels makes it look quite ugly, but a thin gasket that stops short of the edge might be the answer.

I'm with you 100% on not renewing the edge strip. The self-adhesive stuff never works that well and I find it makes the Nova look very dated. Nevertheless, it can cover a multitude of sins :whistling:

Lauren

islandman
01-09-2013, 02:22 AM
After what you've spent on the paint job I don't think it should ever hit the road. Rather, keep it in a dedicated room in the house as a piece of art.

G

Where's the fun in that, you get many more smiles per mile when its driven :bleh:

islandman
01-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Nevertheless, it can cover a multitude of sins :whistling:

Lauren

Well I guess I will find out on the initial bolting how good the fit is :crossfinger:

MicksRedNova
03-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Dave

Did you prep the car bolted up before paint? i.e. is there going to be a visible gap between the panels anyway. Mine is original Gelcoat rather than paint at the moment and bolted up with lots of S/S bolts and nyloc nuts with penny washers. Theres a certain amount of creaking and cracking when you bolt them up but once fitted I don't think they move too much.
I think a gasket is a good idea if you ever plan taking it apart in the future. Otherwise I would be tempted to use sealant or glue to help bond the surfaces and prevent movement.

Mick

islandman
03-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I didn't do any prep on the panels, it's was all done by the painter. I think the line is quite good and a reasonably close fit (but must admit I didn't have time to inspect it fully as I had to get a hire van back on time). I always envisage the nova will be a work in progress (24 years of ownership has proven that), so I will undoubtably be unbolting a few times :drive:

jim73vw
21-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Personally I used a t shaped rubber profile. Smaller than wing beading, but helped hide any imperfections and saved any damage bolting up.

regards,

jim

islandman
22-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Personally I used a t shaped rubber profile. Smaller than wing beading, but helped hide any imperfections and saved any damage bolting

Thats my fall back plan, but I'd quite like to have no beading
:crossfinger:

edmorton
22-09-2013, 09:11 AM
My "unused" shell advertised in the forum had the side panels and nose cone bolted and then the gaps filled and painted. It had started to crack and looked pretty rubbish to be honest. It was also a complete swine to remove the panels!

A few of the kitcar trim suppliers do a T shaped rubber extrusion where the short ends of the T curve backwards slightly to press against the bodywork. I'm planning on using his, so I can removed the panels again if needs be. I'll also give a modicum of protection on the extreme edge of the car against the muppets in their pyjamas in Sainsbury's carpark!

Ed

Alzax3
22-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Have you found a 'T' with a deep enough 'leg' to grip between the panels, Ed? When I looked I couldn't find one with more than about 10 or 13mm which didn't feel like enough.....

edmorton
22-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Hi Alex, I thinks so; this is 28mm long and 13mm wide, from Woolies.

Do you still have a mould for the rear panel, by the way........?

Cheers, Ed.

Alzax3
23-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Ah yes, that looks like it should do it! No to the mould though, never had one for the rear panel, and stupidly didn't take one from the pristine Mk4 panel that passed through my hands a few years back.....:whip: