PDA

View Full Version : Nova wanted with tall bloke mods already done.

Gmacz
29-09-2013, 11:13 AM
1st post and a wanted nova advert.:ermm:
Hard to get involved when you have no car.
I am on the east coast of Scotland and am looking for a complete modified for tall person car.
Running complete car is a good second choice.
Had a uva fugitive as a previous kit car.
Have a lotus elan m100 as a swap if needed.
Or a uk2000 scooby wagon.
Gmacz10@tiscali.co.uk

Alzax3
29-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Welcome to the forum! How tall is tall? I think the record owner is 6ft5 (could be wrong) which required floorpan drops that practically scrape the road.....:shock: It's not really a big-fellahs car, probably because Richard Oakes is a relative short-arse like me! :wink:

Gmacz
29-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Lotus are built for 6ft 4in and there is plenty driver space.
Reading the forum, a 6ft 3in bloke has a nova and he can drive it.
I am only 6ft 2in so plenty of room.
I know it will always be tight, that is nova ownership.
Thanks for the welcome

Peter
30-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Alex, didn't you tell Gmacz about the Nova/SS leg shortening service? :whistling:
Seriously though, I shouldn't think 6'2" would a problem, (say 5'10" me, but at 107k and 67 I have other issues, like getting OUT).:thumbdown:
Welcome to the Forum, and I hope you find a suitable car, gawds only knows there are lots off the road festering in sheds, garages and yards..

Gmacz
30-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, just hook yourself to the canopy and let the hydraulics pull you up and out.
That would be a mod worth seeing.
I am looking for a complete running car, does not need to be road legal or motd etc.
Have tried to "download the downloads" but cannot get any to unzip or open.
Is there a special unzipper that needs to be used.
Not opening in windows or android.

jimcub
30-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the reply, just hook yourself to the canopy and let the hydraulics pull you up and out.
That would be a mod worth seeing.

Would be fun if your still driving forward, you would need long legs and arms to drive hanging from the canopy :facepalm:

bobbybrown
30-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Have tried to "download the downloads" but cannot get any to unzip or open.
Is there a special unzipper that needs to be used.
Not opening in windows or android.

I have been led to believe there is an issue with this, I will take a look ASAP.

Peter
30-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I would, IF I had a canopy. Gull wings rule, (or not) :orly:
what about hydraulic rams up the back of the seats so they slide up and back when the door opens? or not, The Messerschmitt KR200 seat did that. :outahere:

bobbybrown
30-09-2013, 03:51 PM
If you go to www.euro-nova.co.uk you will see it has changed, follow the link to the downloads and I have made the manuals available.

We will bring back all the content when the main homepage has been redesigned and reengineered.

hideho69
30-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Lotus are built for 6ft 4in and there is plenty driver space.
Reading the forum, a 6ft 3in bloke has a nova and he can drive it.
I am only 6ft 2in so plenty of room.
I know it will always be tight, that is nova ownership.
Thanks for the welcome

i am 6'3 got a 2in drop, mx5 seats and a 3in steering extension and it's not on the road yet but been down the street and back in it to test brakes and all seems fine

Gmacz
30-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Got pics of the car and mods.

Spacenut
30-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi Gmacz, welcome to Euro-Nova!

You need to find a Mk2, which had something like 2" more headroom inside, albeit at the expense of some "swoopiness" in the exterior lines. Fortunately for you, there are more Mk2s in the UK than any other model of Nova. You will still need floorpan drops, and even with these modifications, the biggest problem will be jamming your left leg between the steering wheel (which is too far away, unless you have a really small diameter and/or deep dished wheel) and the centre tunnel. Also, because footroom is very limited in the footwells, you may find it difficult to operate the pedals if you have average (or larger) size feet. All things you can get used to, in time, but don't expect to be comfortable on anything other than a local trip...

I'm quite tall and couldn't get comfortable in my Mk1, so I sort of re-designed it :blushing:

Not something I would recommend unless you have a lot of time and patience (and obviously a fair amount of folding stuff) to spare.

Good luck with your search.

Lauren

islandman
01-10-2013, 01:04 AM
I'm 6'4" and have a Mark 1. The main mods are 1) a floor pan drop of about 3-4 inches, 2) Seat bolted directly to the floor with no runners, 3) seat in a fairly reclined driving position

I can fit in although its not the most comfortable position on long drives, but it does bring a smile to my face every time I drive it :afro:

Peter
01-10-2013, 06:20 AM
I have a 230mm wheel with quick detach, makes easier getting in and out for us creaky old 'uns, and triple hydraulic pedals with roller throttle, so better foot work. You make how you like it, that's the great thing about kit cars, (unfortunately it's also the death of many, when ideas outpace capabilities)

Gmacz
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the latest welcome, I turned down 2 eagle ss cars just up in Perth, owner said forget it if tall.
It was a year or two ago and wish I had a look now.
Lots of info posted, thanks for that.
Just need the car now.
Uva fugitive had pretty much the same build features and the same space probs.

Vasco Da Gamer
02-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Just to add to the other comments - my car was previously owned by a bloke six foot three or thereabouts tall. It's a MK1 with deeply lowered floorpans and he fitted fine as far as I could see - albeit with his head very close to the roof (which everyone's is once you have adjusted the seat position).

I found that my legs aren't long enough to reach from his original seat position (I am five eleven) so moved the seat forward (bolted to the floor - NO chance of sliders for me) - however because the windscreen is so flat-angled (plus the floorpans slope upwards of course) it is then necessary to rake the seat right back so your head doesn't hit the windscreen/roof junction - I took the attitude that if my head misses the roof/screen when thrown forward then it's safe enough.

It's comfortable enough now, but you never lose that slight feeling of claustrophobia, and the comments about footwell room are absolutely correct. I haven't sat in many Novas but can confirm that Lauren's feels absolutely right after all her modifications - but then she's the same height as me I think so it was immediately comfortable.

Stephen

Peter
02-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Laurens 5' 11" Hmmmm.:offtopic::sorry::twisted:

rabs
02-10-2013, 01:54 PM
The ‘Nova’ is a 'Kit Car' the clue is in the description which is not true really as you cannot get a ‘kit’
What you need is a car with a dropped floor under the driver’s seat the passenger side don’t count really.
Being a short arse at 5’8” it’s not a problem for me BUT the guy I bought mine from was 6’2” and he had the seats all the way back, we had to move it forward so I could drive it home which is my point if the seat is adjustable ….. adjust it for you OR change it it’s your car personalise it.
My wife and I are the same size … almost ….. there is 2” difference (in height) & we will not talk about the waist OK and all that’s needed is a back support so she can reach the peddles and still be comfortable without moving the seat. Not that she will drive it she said the steering wheel is to low but it’s the same as my smart roadster but what the hay.
My point … get a car …. Then change it for your self, by your self then it’s yours fitted to you …. by you ….. it’s the only way to go.
Pop along to any of the shows and ask to try one out most of the lads will let you sit in his / her car to get a feel for the sitting position and the getting ‘in & out’ problems.
RABS

KEITHCANFIXIT
02-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Hey Rabs, who you calling short arse, I am 5.8". if I wasn't of to Tenerife in 3hours I would come up there and punch you in the kneecap:shock::bleh: . Can tell your feeling better.:outahere:

Gmacz
08-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Still looking for the nova, nothing on the market at the moment.
Willing to go for the "winter project" as long as it is already complete.
Bad engine or engine in bits is not a problem or the non starter, again as long as it is all there.
:crossfinger:

Gaisa
08-10-2013, 08:47 PM
You aren't the only one looking for a complete (or near complete) car, if I get lucky and stumble across something within my current budget, (which is considerably diminished from what I did have, after my van's differential failed, killing the gearbox, both hubs, bearings and the left drive shaft :shock::cry:) , I'll take the plunge, but for now, I'm content to hurry up and wait 'til I can afford it :tongue1:...

martin
09-10-2013, 06:46 PM
hi i may be selling my nova soon as i will be moving to thailand if you look at my nova 1 year on and have a look then get back to me thanks martin

Gaisa
09-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Thank you Martin, have you got any images?
Uh... Nevermind, I found your video clip!
( http://videobam.com/VsdWJ shown in http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?5863-My-Nova-Next-Step )
Out of curiosity, what kind of price are you looking for? And yes, since this is Gmacz's thread, I defer to his getting first refusal! lol

islandman
10-10-2013, 12:20 AM
hi i may be selling my nova soon as i will be moving to thailand if you look at my nova 1 year on and have a look then get back to me thanks martin

Martin, don't let the small matter of being on a different continent force you to sell something you are passionate about and have created. I've been in Singapore for 15 years and still have the Nova and occasionally work on it and drive it.

Also importing it into Thailand is easier than other parts of Asia :afro:

Peter
10-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Never met ANYONE yet who has not regretted selling their baby.

Gmacz
16-10-2013, 08:31 PM
There are a few cars out there for sale, just been offered a complete car that has not been on the road for a couple of decades. Chassis overhauled etc, problem is, i am in scotland and car is way in tne south near the coast.
Just too far to view, will keep looking for the right one.

Gaisa
16-10-2013, 09:18 PM
There are a few cars out there for sale, just been offered a complete car that has not been on the road for a couple of decades. Chassis overhauled etc, problem is, i am in scotland and car is way in tne south near the coast.
Just too far to view, will keep looking for the right one.

Gotta ask;
Did the person who offered the car come from this site, or did you find it somewhere else?

Where did you find the others, I haven't seen any online of late and am wondering where you found them, or did they find you?

Also, could you share any more info on your finds, I happen to live on the south coast and if Martin's is out of my range, I will be looking for one myself

Gmacz
16-10-2013, 10:01 PM
I can ask the guy if he wants details passed on.
Car is black, factory built and in Kent.

Gmacz
16-10-2013, 10:16 PM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/RACHELSNOVA.jpeg

Gaisa
16-10-2013, 10:37 PM
doesn't look bad at a glance, do you have any more details about it?

Gmacz
01-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Still looking for the nova.
Couple of questions,
1. Are factory built cars worth any sort of premium.
2. Is the vw engined nova the one to have as it is the most original setup or as it is a kit car, does originality have no meaning.
Any novas in Scotland and any contact info on the gulf colours nova.

Spacenut
01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
1. I don't think so, any factory built cars were constructed so long ago that they will have been used/abused/modified in much the same way as any other amateur-built car.

2. Originality commands no premium where Novas are concerned; in fact, most people fall about laughing when they realise there is a Beetle under that slick body. Many engine conversions have been tried, but nearly all have issues, either cooling on water pumpers or accommodation problems that will make you wish you had stuck to an aircooled lump!

The Gulf Nova lives in London somewhere, the owner does not frequent this forum as far as I know, nor are they members of the owner's club (as far as I know).

Lauren

Gmacz
04-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Do we have any jock members with cars.
Nice to get a look at one and see what the fit is like.
Anything goes with the nova is what you are saying, only the budget controls the build.

Peter
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Do we have any jock members with cars.
Nice to get a look at one and see what the fit is like.
Anything goes with the nova is what you are saying, only the budget controls the build.

As to fit, "we can make it fit", 5'1" to 6'3" they have all managed, even fat old gits like me.
Yes, ANYTHING goes, just look at Dan's (Ex-Steve McHughs' space age Baja Nova.)
BUDGET! You're thinking of a BUDGET? :scared: You can forget that, never have I come across anyone who came even close to a budget, Just do what you can when you can afford it and if you can't afford it, WAIT. it's going to be a labour of love and a long one. There is a guy on the Sterling forum in the USA that is chucking money at a Stirling V6 restoration with a full time team working on it in a proper workshop but that is far removed from reality. There are only two ways to get a thing done, DIY or pay, if you can't do it then better saving up and paying a professional to do a proper job.

Having said all that stuff not knowing your skill level or circumstances I have probably put my foot in it already as usually. have a great time and we are always here to give advise and encouragement, (and a well meant dig :wink:).

jimcub
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I did follow a black nova In Inverness on eBay, was back in 2006 just before I bought mine.
it had a v6 ford Essex engine, the steering wheel was one of those really extended chain type designs. Seller said it had problem with keeping the front wheels on the ground during acceleration, don't know what happened to it but it looked nice.

Spacenut
04-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Is Phill Fenton still around? He's from north of the border, although I think he got rid of the derelict Nova shell he was going to restore.

Gmacz
04-11-2013, 09:41 PM
I am from Scotland, that should tell you the answer to the diy or pay someone else question.
I am a mechanic to trade and this means repairs done by myself.
Still want a complete car, one that has been off road for a few years wont be a problem.
Vw engine would be the ideal car.

Phill
05-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Is Phill Fenton still around? He's from north of the border, although I think he got rid of the derelict Nova shell he was going to restore.

Still here and still following the posts though not contributing much these days. Still got the Novas (ones just a blue shell, the other a red car with a rolling chassis but no interior or engine).

Last year I spent all my spare time restoring my Capri - so edging closer to doing the Nova (though I always said it was a retirement project and that's a few years off yet).

Gmacz
24-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Still looking for a nova, complete and needing work etc or all done and on the road.
Nice to see some novas are in Scotland.
Standard vw and unmodified body would be ideal but not a lot around to be so choosey.

Gaisa
24-11-2013, 09:34 PM
can't help much with your northern search, but am curious as to whether you got any further news about the one in Kent? My choices in the region have been pretty dry too and so far, that one does show some promise, regardless of the damage you mentioned in the past

Gmacz
24-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Pm sent, it was the guy that contacted me and he was getting some up to date pics as the car was in bits with a cracked wing, i never got them and he never replied when i asked for them. Contact has been lost.

Gmacz
26-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Still looking for the complete nova kit car.
Car needing work is not a problem.
Pics and price to gmacz10@tiscali.co.uk.
Text to 077799545 six seven, I will call back.

Gmacz
03-04-2014, 07:41 PM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/2009-07-31142943.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/2009-07-31142910.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/100_0014.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/100_0019.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/2009-07-31142844.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/2009-07-31142927.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/100_0017.jpghttp://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/100_0020.jpgLooks like this thread has worked.
1967 Nova sports kit on the v5.
Mk1 nova with alfa engine.
Pics are 3 years ago, it was parked up after the engine stopped working.
Not seen car and delivery is saturday and pics from today look good but pics usually do.
Has remote canopy, i have a vid of this, everything was working and hope 3 years parked has not caused too many probs.

bobbybrown
03-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Would think it's known, I spy a vin plate that Mick had made a few years ago under the bonnet!

bushboy
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
And all the hard work is done.

bushboy

islandman
04-04-2014, 01:46 AM
very rare to find such a nicely turned out car, well done. Some nice touches.

We have definitely seen the car on here before, I seem to remember the guy who built it had had a couple of Nova's before and clearly learn't some lessons on how to do it well along the way :cool1:

Peter
04-04-2014, 07:02 AM
At last! Getting you with your Nova has been like waiting for a baby. Well now you have 'your baby' and very nice too. Looks like fettle and drive job as I wouldn'touch a thing, well, apart from the finish on that dash:-P

Sent from my LG-E730 using Tapatalk 2

Gmacz
04-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Builder came from weston supermare and car was in stockton on tees.
Driver is 5ft 11in and fits in easily, just hope my 6ft 2in can get in.
White interior would not be my choice.
Engine is faulty and hopefully repairable.
Good first nova.

bobbybrown
04-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Love those seats! When you get it let me know what they are. I'm after something similar for mine.
Don't look to need much work :groupwave:

Peter
04-04-2014, 09:58 AM
White would not be my first choice either but it does look good, Just needs that centre console and dash 'de-slabing', if you get my drift, rounder, smoother and less B&Q. If you change the intirior have look at the seats I bought, only £150 the pair from MJ Exhausts and about the widest you CAN fit, in fact the later ones are even better as the lever is a lot higher. But first things first and get that loverly Alfa up and running, super engine. Onwards and sideways ;-)

MicksRedNova
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Well done on becoming a new Nova owner :clapping::drive:

Best of luck with your new purchase.

I think this car was Paul Fryers (ex Club Nova chairman and still around on the forum sometimes); here is the advert that featured in Complete Kit Car back in Feb 2009:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/MickAtHome/PaulFryerNova1_zpsb1d9628d.jpg

Dan, VIN plate well spotted. This must have been added by the current owner as I hadn't made them when Paul owned the car.

superbbird
04-04-2014, 12:26 PM
And I sold it to Paul Fryer. It didn't have an interior at the time though!

Elaine

Gmacz
04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the advert pic, copied and saved.
That all fits with current owner and he kept in touch with builder.
Contacted member on here about car and positive reply meant car was purchased.
Nice to know serious work done on car before it was sold.
Hope engine is easy repair, sounds like a lot of money spent on overhaul.
Hydraulics being new 5 years ago sounds good.
Car not advertised, owner got in touch through this site.
Just get it going and on the road is the plan, that is the normal forum advice from Peter etc.
Looking forward to seeing the car, it will be the first time I have seen one.

Gmacz
04-04-2014, 01:28 PM
A couple of posts from Paul found in the forum from 2009 on the car, a lot of current members in the thread.
First one relates to the previous magazine sale article.
Second one relates to registration problems in 2009, these were resolved and the car is on an F reg plate with free tax etc.

"OK, you lot win. I didnt notice i had turned it round till i printed the pic out at work. Worst thing is, its in the mag up for sale with that pic, whoops!As for the dash... Its the lower part with a lot of mods. Centre clocks out of a cortina (i think). Column is out of a cortina as well. Has the alfa engine, so goes real good too. Even has a heater.Oh, its a rear view screen on top of the dash.Will post some more pic's later from Paul"

"Just as a case of interest, i have been having a battle with the DVLA for the past 6 months over change from beetle to nova. They have now come up with the case that after i have had the nova inspected and told everything is OK, they now want to see the original purchase doc of the nova body before they will issue an age related V5c. If i can not produce the purchase doc, they will only issue me with a Q plate and not the original 1967 (F) plate.Paul"

Peter
04-04-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm sure someone has a certificate of newness from whoever made that kit, we have one on the EOC site but not a lot of good as eagle never sold any Novas. Get one, scan it in, blank it and fill in with your details, easy, so who's got one? :confused1: Failing that. I'm sure we could come up with one based on either a Nova one from a later maker or the Eagle one, after all, how the hell are the DVLA supposed to know WHAT the original looked like anyway?.
Is it a MkI ADD car, (1971-1975) or later Vic Elam one, (1978-1990)?

I tried to swing it for a 1966 reg but they wouldn't accept VW's letter stating the chassis was age related and proves it is a March 1966, so I got a bloody Q anyway, :@

Gmacz
04-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Sorry peter, these were posts from 09, the car is an F plate from 1967.
Fully registered as a 1967 nova sports kit.
I was just showing some history of the car on the forum.

Peter
04-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Well as they didn't start making Novas until 1971 then I guess the 1967 is the VW chassis donor, the KIT is probably early '70s

Spacenut
04-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Love those seats! When you get it let me know what they are. I'm after something similar for mine.
Don't look to need much work :groupwave:

Hi Dan - I'm pretty sure these are re-covered 7even seats (narrow fixed rake buckets).

I'm still intrigued as to where the radiator is located. The pictures of the car from the back suggest the radiator is not behind the rear panel, but equally there is no suggestion it is up front either. Anywhere else and I am guessing head gasket failure due to overheating :facepalm:

Fortunately there are solutions for radiator placement (and header tank location) that do work for this engine :thumbup:

Lauren

Gmacz
04-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Canopy goes up, canopy goes down, canopy goes up etc etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeD0m_-qR6M

steve
05-04-2014, 01:35 AM
The interior looks good to me and I wouldn't change it. From the pics, it looks a well made car.
Being laid-up for 3 years is a worry though and it's nailed-on there will be some issues to keep you busy,
hopefully none too serious; but I guess that is the nature of Nova (or any kit car) ownership.

If you have to re-work anything, look at it as a chance to improve things and put your own stamp on the vehicle.
After you get the car back on the road, my only suggestion would be to give your alloys some TLC,
strip'em back and give them a paint-job. http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/images/icons/icon6.png

Good luck with the car and post some recent pics when you can.
Steve

MicksRedNova
05-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Looking forward to seeing the car, it will be the first time I have seen one.

That's faith. I hope you're not disappointed. Don't be too surprised when you sit in it for the first time and put the roof down that you feel very confined, especially with your height. I assume your trailering it with the duff engine so at least your first drive can be short run round the block once its sorted.
Mick

Gmacz
05-04-2014, 02:28 PM
Got a bargain price on delivery, owner helped load it -
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/IMG_2303.jpg

Spacenut
05-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Impressively unobtrusive Alfa engine and exhaust installation - best I have ever seen to be honest. I'd still like to know where the radiator is located, but getting the car home is the first step, well done!

Lauren

Gmacz
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
It has two radiators, one under each wheel arch and the hole in the side of the body is the feed to each radiator.
As you are driving, there is a constant air flow through both rads.
There is only a fan on one side and it looks like a cutdown cortina one.
I will put better fans on both sides.
Not sure how is it plumbed but I am guessing it feeds into the top of first radiator and then into the top of second radiator and then into engine.
Both radiators have caps and one has no access for filling.
Might be a fixed cap on one and that would be reason for no access.
There is no expansion tank and will have to look into that.
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/20140405_173731.jpg
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/20140405_173744.jpg

Gaisa
05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
got yourself a nice project there, I've been forced to hold off for now, especially since I have to cut down on my work load (will be resigning from one of my jobs in the near future).
The car in general looks good, and I hope the engine problems are easily resolved bud :kewlpics:

Gmacz
05-04-2014, 07:55 PM
No real problems with car.
Everything works, canopy remote or manual, the sunroof pops out if it fails.
Rear view camera, electric aerial, radio etc all working.
Seats are on working rails and the floor has been dropped, sadly I am sitting too high and modification is needed.
Removal of rails and fitting seat all the way back should do it, pedals might have to come forward a bit, it is a long reach.
Tyres are like new, discs front and drum rear.
Body all looks good, no cracks or breaks.
Paintwork looks good from a distance but has the bubble or blister problem that seems to affect plastic cars, I was told about this but it is not as bad as I thought it would be.
New paint eventually, norfolk yellow????
Interior is very nice, seats are good and comfy.
Just need to play with the engine, i am also guessing it has overheated.
Chassis seems ok, cannot see any probs, front steering looks a bit oily, suspect a leak there.
Good first nova, they really are good looking cars.
Delivery driver was very good with the low kit car, can post his details if allowed.

bobbybrown
05-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Glad your pleased with it, looks like a really good starting point for a first nova!

No problem with posting his details from me.

Spacenut
05-04-2014, 08:44 PM
It has two radiators, one under each wheel arch and the hole in the side of the body is the feed to each radiator.
As you are driving, there is a constant air flow through both rads.
There is only a fan on one side and it looks like a cutdown cortina one.
I will put better fans on both sides.
Not sure how is it plumbed but I am guessing it feeds into the top of first radiator and then into the top of second radiator and then into engine.
Both radiators have caps and one has no access for filling.
Might be a fixed cap on one and that would be reason for no access.
There is no expansion tank and will have to look into that.

Thanks for the detailed description - I have to agree with your thoughts regarding number of fans and lack of expansion tank. The system has almost certainly developed an air lock and overheated the engine. The expansion tank needs to be the highest point in the system, so that means tucked up under the louvre somewhere. Plumbing should be as you describe, but be careful to match the direction of flow to the radiators. Twin-rad cars like the Countach used a thermostatic fan on the first radiator and a manually-switched second fan on the second radiator. Or you could control both thermostatically.

Hopefully the overheating damage is not too great. Worst-case scenario is a cracked cylinder block, which was the fate that befell my first Alfa engine (for the same reason, caused by a jammed thermostat). Essentially the engine would be scrap in this case. Otherwise you might be able to get away with skimming the heads and a new top end gasket set. There's still plenty of good used Alfa engines about, if you know where to look. Worth sticking with for the performance advantage, you would have to lavish a fair amount on a 1600 twin-port before it starts pushing out 95 bhp...

Lauren

Peter
05-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the detailed description - I have to agree with your thoughts regarding number of fans and lack of expansion tank. The system has almost certainly developed an air lock and overheated the engine. The expansion tank needs to be the highest point in the system, so that means tucked up under the louvre somewhere. Plumbing should be as you describe, but be careful to match the direction of flow to the radiators. Twin-rad cars like the Countach used a thermostatic fan on the first radiator and a manually-switched second fan on the second radiator. Or you could control both thermostatically.

Hopefully the overheating damage is not too great. Worst-case scenario is a cracked cylinder block, which was the fate that befell my first Alfa engine (for the same reason, caused by a jammed thermostat). Essentially the engine would be scrap in this case. Otherwise you might be able to get away with skimming the heads and a new top end gasket set. There's still plenty of good used Alfa engines about, if you know where to look. Worth sticking with for the performance advantage, you would have to lavish a fair amount on a 1600 twin-port before it starts pushing out 95 bhp...

Lauren

Tell me about it :O

bushboy
05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Well done on your purchase. While sorting out the engine I would protect those radiators from road debris being thrown at them by the rear wheels. That is the position of the twin rads I had in the Eureka when it had the scooby motor in it. I intend to return to this layout again for the V6 as it will run hot when driven slightly hard.

I used a louvered FG panel, plenty of area fo rthe air to escape but impossible for rear wheel misiles to penetrate.

Most flat beds I have seen with Nova's (or Eurekas) on have them backwards to keep the weight of the engine between the axles. But he got it to you in one piece, so well done.

Like mick said, don't be put off by your first encounter with a closed canopy. You will get use to it. Lauren (when she has not got it in pieces) & my self use them as daily transport. Low sun is a killer as are plastic windows. So I usually pop them out for the short, suburban run to work.

Enjoy your new toy

BUshboy

Gmacz
05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies from everyone, best info comes from owners.
I will be able to pop the sunroof and stick my head out into the wind for some cool air.
What was that panel for the rads, I am not sure what fg is.

steve_d
06-04-2014, 06:17 AM
You've bought a FibreGlass car and don't know what FG is !!!!!!
This is not going to end well.
:facepalm:

Steve

Gmacz
06-04-2014, 08:12 AM
I have 2 fibreglass cars and did not know what fg is. :laugh:
I tend to use plastic as my "fg" .
I think I will stick with plastic.:blushing:

Spacenut
06-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Definitely endorse what Bushboy says - the wheels can kick up stones that could damage the radiator cores. The old Fezza 348's fitted their radiators in the same place, possibly the F355 as well, before Uncle Enzo moved them up into the nose for the F360. The 348 used a louvred panel for exactly the same reason.

I can see a bit of daylight around the top of one of the rads, so once you have sorted a location for the header tank, the louvre panel can block any opportunity the airflow has of bypassing the rad. ALL of the airflow needs to go through the core.

I am guessing there is room on the front of the rads to fit a pusher fan - job done!

Lauren

Peter
06-04-2014, 10:53 AM
The correct abbreviation is GRP for Glass Reinforced Plastic, so "PLASTIC" is correct, but wrong :whistling:
Anyway, we know what you mean Harry,:wink:
You can get some very nice louvers out there in alloy or stainless steel, domestic, industrial and marine all use them.
Looks like there is enough room behind the rads, (sealed off) for a fan and a louver.
This guy on Ebay will make you a pair to your size and materiel.

Ebay number 291112600344

Gmacz
06-04-2014, 11:33 AM
That ebay number is not bringing up anything, is it uk ebay.
I thought the FG was a company name of special louvered panels supplier, I searched for the company on google, I thought steve was joking, I was waiting for a link.

MicksRedNova
06-04-2014, 11:56 AM
That ebay number is not bringing up anything, is it uk ebay.
I thought the FG was a company name of special louvered panels supplier, I searched for the company on google, I thought steve was joking, I was waiting for a link.

EBay number works for me. Just copy that number into eBay search box and it should take to a guy selling bespoke louvres. Love the posts about FG , I'm sure there will be lots more terms we use on the forum that will become familiar as you get to grips with the reality of Nova ownership.

Mick

Peter
06-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Not to mention the smilies, my fav' is :oops2: and:cursing:

Easy link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291112600344?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch% 2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D29111 2600344%26_rdc%3D1

bushboy
06-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Peter,
Yep that is the sort of thing. Mine was made from glass fillament reinforced polymere, no rust etc.

I you look at the original Eureka bagde/ logo the letters at the bottom were EFGP. Not an abreviation I wanted on my Eureka but was what the manufacturerer of teh Eureka was into at the time.

Eureka Fibre Glass Products

Anyhow, what ever material you make them out of they will protect the rads.

Enjoy

Bushboy

Mostin
06-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Hello all.

Looks like your wait is over Gmacz & it was worth the wait too. Looks like you got yourself a good Nova there. :thumbup:

As you said everything works, which is a great start. It's just the engine needs sorting so at least you can get it up & back on the road in short(ish) time.

That will then give you the time to see what you want to change to put your stamp on it.

What ever you do, enjoy it & have fun.
:cheers:
Cheers.
Mostin.

Gmacz
10-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the post, I was just lucky to get the nova before it hit ebay.
I have moved this over to "Your Cars" as this is the place for Wanted ads and this thread has been fulfilled.
If looking for a Nova, this is a good place to post, email and phone number is what you need in the post.