PDA

View Full Version : Engine assembly problem

Nic
14-11-2013, 04:57 AM
I have the crank and cam in the engine, all the bearings etc. I assembled the previous into the case half with the studs in it. I think that's the left side. So, I drop the Right on to the left and it wont close by 1/2". When I put the nuts on and tighten, the cam and crank bind up. So, something is binding, I just don't know what. Any suggestions? The crank bearings are seated on the pins and the bearings are set down into the case as they should be. I just can't figure it out and its DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!:@

Peter
14-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Unless the two halves close with a nice clunk, DO NOT try to force them together, it will bugger the cases up.
Just trying to think if I had that problem as I have had mine apart like a fiddlers elbow with new bits and
upgrades like H section rods etc.
http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/attachments/vw-engines/4158d1384446302-case-assembly-problem-bth_engine20internals.jpg
Assuming your rods are going into the respective bores and the right case is empty apart from the mains shells, 1/2" sounds like a bearing is not lining up. did come across a guy who had left half a main bearing in the case which had that effect.
there is nothing in the right case that would do that, it's just that, a case.

Try lifting the cam out and assemble without it, same problem, pop it back in and pop the crank out, one or the other will work so you will know where to look
OR.
Try this trick, lay a piece of white kitchen paper over the assembled half and then carefully lower the right half until it touches, lift it off and you will see where the contact points are.

Nic
16-11-2013, 04:51 AM
I pulled all the gubbins out, crank, cam, lifters and tried again. the case still isnt closing. it almost feels like the guide pins on the case are the problem, but I cant be sure. Whats odd is it fit together fine when I last put it together. Im not sure WTF is going on. The Permatex is still on the left half of the case so Im worried about the halves touching and then I can't part them. BLEH.

Peter
16-11-2013, 11:12 AM
You haven't done the dumb thing and got a dowel in the same hole on opposite sides have you?
Put some cling film on the joint, that will stop it sticking.

Nic
19-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I still haven't gotten the case half together yet. I had been very patient and quadruple checking everything the last week. Last night I pulled checked to make sure the crank bearings were sitting down fully on both sides of the case. They are. I pulled the cam out of left half and pulled the lifters out of the right half leaving only the crank in the left with it's bearings. I put the 2 halves together and tapped around the edges a little and spun the crank. got out some bar clamps and put a little pressure, spun the crank. and repeated those 2 steps about 10 times until I have the case halves closed and the crank was still spinning. Thats as far as I got last night. Next I'll split the case again and drop in the cam and repeat. I think its the locator pins at the opposing corners that are binding up. Im going to put some molylube on them the next time I try to close it up with the cam and lifters inside. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Side note - wife goes in for surgery tomorrow for her hand. She'll be laid up for 2-4 weeks.

Peter
20-11-2013, 11:10 AM
One shouldn't need to force the cases together, they should almost drop together when empty and a slight tap needed to seat the bearings when fully loaded.
As my apprentice master once said, several times, :facepalm: "If it doesn't fit find out why, DON'T HIT IT".:crash:
The corner locating dowels should be snug but not tight or it's going to be a bitch getting the cases apart next time. Find out why.