PDA

View Full Version : Original nova seats wanted

marc
09-02-2014, 12:20 PM
ORIGINAL NOVA Seats for a Mk1 Wanted.

Good price paid. Any condition considered. Need to be of the type originally supplied with the car.

Please PM if you have anything at all available.

Many thanks

Marc

supernova2
09-02-2014, 04:37 PM
ORIGINAL NOVA Seats for a Mk1 Wanted

Good price paid. Any condition considered. Need to be of the type originally supplied with the car.

Please PM if you have anything at all available.

Many thanks

MarcHi. to the best of my knowledge you fit what you wish i am told that mazda mk1 seats are a good fit. if possible fit recliners as the more adjustment you have the better.

Gaisa
09-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi. to the best of my knowledge you fit what you wish i am told that mazda mk1 seats are a good fit. if possible fit recliners as the more adjustment you have the better.

I'm with you on that one, I don't believe there is a "default" seat for them; the first tim I saw a Nova in person, I saw two, sitting side by side in a garage, about 18 years ago, I was too young and poor to consider getting one, but they weren't identical and from what I've seen online, none of the others are, either

Spacenut
09-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I don't believe there is a "default" seat for them

Actually, there was a standard highback bucket seat provided with the ADD Mk1 kits, and a modified version of this same seat (with a built-in head restraint) was provided with deluxe versions of the Elam Mk1 kits as well. Later Mk2s could also be ordered with factory seats, but these were of a different design to the Mk1 and I think most customers decided to supply their own, discovering in the process that typical aftermarket seats would not fit, particularly when the floorpans are dropped!

Lauren

Alzax3
09-02-2014, 06:44 PM
They were sold with 'Corbeau'(?spelling) bucket seats - fixed angle but with runners. Similar to Cobra. They had a nice 'slide-down-into-position' fit, though I had large mates that couldn't fit their hips (funny how the girls never had a problem!) comfortably into them.

I see Spacenut got in there while I was posting!

marc
09-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Thank you both for your notes on what was supplied - I want to stay stock original with my ADD Mk1 so the early bucket seats with no headrests would be ideal but also I would consider the later Nova seat supplied with the Elam cars. I have some images of then in an early 70s Custom Car article.

Does anyone have anything available? - tatty is fine Please PM me if you have...............

How were the early seats constructed?

Regards

Gaisa
09-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks Lauren and Alzax, I'm glad of the way I worded my response now :laugh:

Spacenut
09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
How were the early seats constructed?

Hi Marc - they were a one-piece moulding, with a rectangular-section depression up the back and a generous return on the outer lip for stiffness. My Elam seats then have a padded wooden backboard with a section of 2 x 2 screwed to it, such that it fits into the moulded depression and is attached by screws through the back of the moulding. The tuck'n'roll padding is retained at the front of the seat by poppers. Sides are padded with foam and upholstered in plain vinyl, with edging strip all round the lip to retain it.

I expect the ADD seats were constructed similarly, the Elams used the same ADD mould, simply adding the head restraint extension.

Lauren

CyCo
10-02-2014, 09:42 AM
The original ones look something like these;

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr242/philinsa/New%20Reek/DSC018392_zps70aba681.jpg

These may differ to the Nova ones, as these are ones for the Eureka. Oh, and those are only 6 months old. Not mine, but Philinsa.

Spacenut
10-02-2014, 07:00 PM
They're actually surprisingly close to the design of the Elam Mk1 seats, and the ADD ones too, albeit without the headrest extension on the latter.

Lauren

steve
10-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Cyco's pic is pretty much spot-on, and it's what I got with my early Elam Mk1. In black.
I had mine covered at a local place, they said that they were slightly different sizes(?)
Personally, I found the fibreglass seats quite comfortable & had them in the car for a couple of years.
Eventually the covering fell to bits...
One advantage in that shape of seat is that the seating position is *very* close to the floor
so you can save an inch or two over a normal car seat.
Having said that I reckon a normal shaped seat looks a lot better in the car.
Steve

Spacenut
11-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I reckon a normal shaped seat looks a lot better in the car.

The paucity of factory seats suggests that most owners agree with you, but I really like my factory chairs. I can't believe that I ever considered replacing them - fortunately my tendency to hoard stuff "just in case" saved me from making an expensive mistake.

Lauren

CyCo
11-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Most over here still use the fiberglass bucketseats. There are a few with 'non-standard' seats, but they're in the minority. But i agree with Lauren, I intend to keep things like the seats if I ever decide to put in something from another car, just in case I decide to change it back to something more 'original'. As an example, I want to tinker with the look & fit of the rear end of the car (like most. Also, glad I caught my typo of car, replacing the 'r' with a 't'...lol), including a new set of tail lights. I want to source another rear valance, so I can work on that piece, and still be able to drive mine around. And if I decide to change it back, the original can be pulled out of storage. At some point, I'll have to ask the guy who now owns the moulds how much for the rear valance. :wink:

marc
11-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Thank you for all the helpful posts and images. Can anyone post some images of the early ADD seats?

I am still looking for original seats if anyone has anything with or without a headrest.

If anyone has an uncovered ADD seat that can be made available to take a mould I could arrange for that and it may solve some future supply problems for people restoring their cars.

Is there a way of confirming if the Eureka and Elam seat as shown in the image kindly posted by CyCo are the same?

Marc

CyCo
12-02-2014, 01:20 PM
I'd say that they're the same, given what Spacenut has said about the seats. As an FYI, if you look at that photo I posted earlier, the red one behind it is the mould for the seats, and if you're thinking about getting some from Oz, the cost in shipping will be murderous. Just ask Dan when he sent the roof seal to me. Shipping the other way is just as expensive.

Spacenut
12-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Is there a way of confirming if the Eureka and Elam seat as shown in the image kindly posted by CyCo are the same?

I'd say a very close copy if not identical. Chances are they were derived from the same mould, albeit on opposite sides of the planet!

I think there is a picture on the front cover of Custom Car from 1972 showing a complete kit of parts spread out on the ground with the ADD demostrator (PLU xxxE, can't remember the full reg off-hand) in the background. I will have a look. Someone may still be running around with their original ADD seats but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Lauren

marc
29-11-2015, 10:46 PM
I am still looking for ADD Nova MK1 seats - good price paid if anyone has any please get in touch. Many thanks Marc