PDA

View Full Version : Not really an event - Mick's Detling Substitute

MicksRedNova
17-03-2014, 11:26 AM
I know this is not really an event in the true sense of the forum thread but;

For those of you that may be missing the Detling show, which traditionally was about now i.e. late March / early April, and normally bl**dy freezing. I decided to get the Club Nova BBQ out for its annual clean & service at the weekend and due to the 'uncommon' dry sunny weather I had a sudden rush of blood or something and decided to cook a BBQ on my newly laid decking.
As you can see a fleece and furry hat (thanks Mike & Elaine) was required in order to do the cooking, but the bottle of Merlot helped too.
I also fired up the Nova on the driveway too, just to complete the illusion.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/MickAtHome/Winter_BBQ_zps6d94e2f9.jpg

Mick

PS. There is a Classic Car Breakfast Show at Redhill near Bristol (i.e. very close to me) on Sunday 23rd March 9:30 - 12:30, with full English Breakfast, so I'm planning on taking the Nova to frighten all the 'classic' car brigade if the weather is OK. All are welcome to attend if you happen to be in the area :drive:.

PaddyX21
17-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Well done that man!

I'm going to miss the Detling show, partly due to it's locality being so convenient for me, but also because it had a unique feeling all of it's own :(
I seem to remember going to a few down at Chatham dockside prior to Detling if my memory serves me?

Spacenut
17-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I'm going to miss the Detling show, because it had a unique feeling all of it's own :(

Always cold, often windy, and usually quite wet! But I must admit I used to enjoy Detling too!

I seem to remember going to a few down at Chatham dockside prior to Detling if my memory serves me?

That must have been fun - I took the Green Machine to Chatham docks for Spring Alfa day, the same weekend as Detling. I can't remember which order I did the shows, but it was really enjoyable. I got some really atmospheric pictures in the yawning chasm between the two rope lofts, looked like the East End in the 1970s... hmm, that'll be why they filmed Call the Midwife there...

Well done Mick, I guess it didn't turn out as mild as it was here at the weekend - must have hit 18C, my fibreglass was going off very nicely:thumbup:

Lauren

MicksRedNova
18-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Well done Mick, I guess it didn't turn out as mild as it was here at the weekend - must have hit 18C, my fibreglass was going off very nicely:thumbup:

Lauren

It was very mild during the day here too whilst I was finishing the decking, gardening and cleaning the BBQ but by 6.30pm when 'my catering manager' :whistling: had scheduled the BBQ and visitors to arrive, the sun was down and the temp was in single figures. Still the food and wine was very good.

Mick