PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor/solenoid

bobbybrown
04-05-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm after a starter motor or maybe just the solenoid for the 1641, I have fitted a spare starter that was "quick fixed".

basically, the small strap going from the solenoid to the starter broke along with the terminal it attaches to, the remaining strap has been screwed on to the solenoid with a screw of some sort which allows it to work but gets very hot very quickly and will smoke.

If the solenoid can just be changed that is good but otherwise I'm in the market for a complete motor.

Peter
05-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Rather than have all the power for whacking the solenoid in I use a relay, (and a start button to be flash).
Mount a heavy duty 40Amp relay near or even ON the starter solenoid.
Earth one side and take the starter cable to the other.
Run a 40A cable from the battery side of the solenoid and return it from the NO relay contact to the solenoid instead off the starter wire from the switch which is now activating the relay..
Now when you start, the wire from the switch only activates the relay and the relay does the hard work right next to the solenoid.
simple, no?

Infamous drawing#346

The thin green wire is where the original starter wire would be.

bobbybrown
05-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Thats a good idea Peter, I'll send you a PM later about it.

Peter
06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
There is NOT an earth strap on a solenoid!:nonono: It is the 12v feed to the starter brushes from the solenoid. :scared:
You can get a complete stator with wire and brushes off Ebay for about a tenner and it's a ten minuet job.799

Starter relay, I know there is/should be, a PM on it but I thought it might be of interest.
Used in conjuration with a PKE (Passive Key-less Entry) unit or one of these.

Peter
13-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Just had a another though, instead of using a plastic box type relay why not a starter solenoid from a motorcycle/buggy? (Ebay 271358249807) a lot cheaper (about 12 quid) and handles a lot more power, wiring would be the same, just loop one thin wire to the poss terminal AND start button and the other to to earth. Again, mount next to the starter motor and close couple.
Or, I just seen these. (Ebay 231223577083), old school and solid.

bobbybrown
13-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks Peter, I'll pull the starter off the car ASAP so I can see what's what, currently out of the house before 6:30 and not back until 10pm lately so time is short at the moment!

NovaF4
13-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Don't forget to seal around the edges of the relay with sikalfex stuff or drop it into a square mould just larger than it and fill around the edges with resin - so that it doesn't get effected by all the water spray in the engine bay.