PDA

View Full Version : Who has mx5 seats fitted?

bobbybrown
06-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Anyone here have mx5 seats fitted to their cars with the standard runners?
Just looking for some info on what you modified and if you bolted the runners direct to the floor pan or with some sort of bracket in between?

Alzax3
06-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Mine have had the standard runners since before I bought the car - I think they've seized up as I have never had cause to adjust them! And they're bolted to the floor, but I think I welded some extra plates to them to spread the load.

bobbybrown
06-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Ok was just wondering as the seats I'm looking at have the normal fitting "tabs" for the mazda, like a bent tab at each side, front and back that fit over the floor pan in the mazda.
Obviously if I could do without welding or bolting in box section to mimic this then it would be a bonus.
Not sure if this photo is from a mazda but it shows what I'm talking about
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/red5tag/Lotus%20Seats/2.jpg

As shown at the far left and far right of the photo.

Alzax3
06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Looks about right - no way mine would have fitted with the belt mounting portion in place, think that had been excised by the previous owner!

bobbybrown
06-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah I'll be removing it too in the hope the harnesses will reach, otherwise I need to find somewhere to mount a seatbelt!!

letterman7
06-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I've got the Miata version, older seats, maybe early 2000-ish. Same brackets, though. I did flatten the mounting tabs and remove the seatbelt holder. Still have about 1/4" to spare under the seat for adjustments. I'll try to shoot a photo later today.

bobbybrown
06-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Thanks! I was thinking of just simply removing the seatbelt holder and flattening the mounts and fitting it straight to the floor pan like the cobras are now.

Thanks Rick!

Alzax3
06-06-2014, 07:58 PM
My floorpan had factory fitted seatbelt mounts rear of where the handbrake had been moved to on the central spine - are they there on yours Dan?

bobbybrown
06-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Never seen any, no.
I can get away with the seat belt receiver/buckle it's where to actually mount the seat belt if I can't use the harnesses, traditionally thinking it would be up on the tub behind the driver to the right and to the left of the passenger (think normal car) however this is just fibreglass obviously and is more than likely thinner on my car than it was when it left the factory!

The harnesses are mounted to the floor on both sides to some pretty hefty looking mounts.

Alzax3
06-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Ah right. My top mounts are up where you describe, pretty thick lamination there on mine - and there's a 6 inch square stainless plate about 4mm thick on 'tother side to spread the load. I think if I hit anything hard enough to pull the plate through the glass, I'll have rather more to worry about - or nothing at all!:coat:

Peter
06-06-2014, 08:50 PM
On a std' VW kipper you should have mounting holes in the tunnel about 2" down just below the handbrake position, of course such things as REAR seat belts were none existent those in days on the outside I used the mounting bolts but drilled them out to 12mm.
This an OLD photo.

islandman
07-06-2014, 02:45 AM
I carried an MX5 seat base and back in my suitcase all the way from Singapore to the UK on my last visit (someone here scrapped one so I jumped at the opportunity to get the seats.)

Now with the base separated from the back section I could just about push the base into my 5" lowered floor pans. However when I bolted back to the base on the extra width from the side brackets and release lever meant there was no way they would go into the footwells. What I can't figure out is why everyone else except me seems to find the MX5 seat fit with no issue :confused1:

My floor pan drops go from the tunnel edge to the rails at the sides, a couple of bad pictures (extracted from videotape) below for reference :-

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/islandmanhere/FloorPan_zps3a9e2546.jpg (http://s713.photobucket.com/user/islandmanhere/media/FloorPan_zps3a9e2546.jpg.html)

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/islandmanhere/KitCarBuild5_zps97195783.jpg (http://s713.photobucket.com/user/islandmanhere/media/KitCarBuild5_zps97195783.jpg.html)

bobbybrown
07-06-2014, 07:56 AM
The drops are in the same place as mine David, I'll let you know if I have the same issues when I have time to get the old seats out and do a test fit with the mx5 ones.

MicksRedNova
07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Ah right. My tdescribesounts are up where you describe, pretty thick lamination there on mine - and there's a 6 inch square stainless plate about 4mm thick on 'tother side to spread the load. I think if I hit anything hard enough to pull the plate through the glass, I'll have rather more to worry about - or nothing at all!:coat:

My top mounts are the same as Alex describes above. I have MX-5 seats mounted on the original sliders, modified by removing the belt mounts, raised up on 1" box section cross members. My lower belt mount is a long bolt tthrough the tunnel.

Mick

jimcub
07-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I have the older type mx5 seats, mounted on the original Mazda runners I flattened out the front bits. Then cut the seat belt mount off, they slide back no problem and recline no problem.

Alzax3
07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
And I think you've got dropped pans, haven't you Jim?

KEITHCANFIXIT
07-06-2014, 09:58 PM
sold my old fixed back corboreau seats about six months ago for an obscene amount of money on ebay :facepalm: to a caterham owner, believed they sold for more than they cost and bought a pair of mx5 recliners in excellent condition for 35, these have completely flat runners on them with welded bolts in each corner for fixing straight onto floor pan.

hideho69
08-06-2014, 11:52 AM
i2 have mx5 seats with the speekers in head rests and i 2 flattened out the runners and cut the lug off that sticks out and goes in relclines and moves no problem

bobbybrown
08-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I was after the headrest speaker type but these came up at a good price. These don't have headrest speakers :(

Alzax3
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
I've got the zippered holes for them but they'd been removed. The ones I've heard aren't a patch on proper bulkhead speakers anyway......

jimcub
09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
And I think you've got dropped pans, haven't you Jim?

Yes Alex they have 2 1/2" drops and I am 6ft ish, also the Mk4 canopy has the extra height so I fit in comfortabley. I do have them reclined far back as I can't drive in an upright position, due to my current spine problems

Phill
10-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Just managed to source a pair of MX5 seats. My question is what is the reason for fitting the passenger seat on the drivers side and vice versa? Is it because the drivers seat generally tends to be more worn so the passenger seat is generally better or is there another reason for switching them around?

Peter
10-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Access to the tilt lever is better.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk

islandman
10-05-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure its for access to the lever per se, but more for some reason they fit in the footwells better (no idea why). I have a set of MX5 seats and Smart ForTwo seats both useless to me because of the depth of floorpan drops. I'm willing to let them for GBP 20 per set of 2 plus postage when I'm next in the UK if anyone needs them

Alzax3
10-05-2016, 06:23 PM
I've never checked which way round mine are, but the tilt forward/back lever is on the outside edge of both, which makes for much easier access behind the seats from outside - does that meant they're switched side to side or not?

Phill
10-05-2016, 08:42 PM
No that means you have fitted yours drivers seat on drivers side and passenger seat on passenger side

Alzax3
11-05-2016, 06:41 AM
Thanks Phll!

Nic
11-05-2016, 06:01 PM
I think it is for fit and for access to the tilt lever. Removing or trimming some of the trim plastic can also help with gaining a little more space around the seats between the body.