PDA

View Full Version : Rust Converter or Rust Remover?

Andrew
16-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I have 'some' rust on the chassis. Any one tried rust remover/converter products or do you always go for more substantial repairs?

The whole underside has been coated with waxol or something similar at some stage so would seem to be fairly robust still.

Mostin
16-12-2014, 05:17 PM
I went for wire brush(s) in a grinder to remove all rust & paint. But i did have the body off etc so it did make it easier too do.

Where the rust was bad it was cut back & replaced with new. In my case the bottom of the frame head.

Keep up the good work.
:cheers:
Mostin

MicksRedNova
16-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I have 'some' rust on the chassis. Any one tried rust remover/converter products or do you always go for more substantial repairs?

The whole underside has been coated with waxol or something similar at some stage so would seem to be fairly robust still.
Andrew
I did both. I wirebrushed back to bare metal, replaced 1 floorpan and patched the second. I then used rust converter on any pits that were brown followed by seam sealer, red oxide, black hammerite. The rust converter was special water based stuff that goes blue on contact with rust turning black as it dries (I 'found' it whilst in the military, all used up now :-( ).

Mick

KEITHCANFIXIT
16-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Normally use Jenolite rust converter , good for vertical areas after wire brush attachment on angle grinder.
Cannot say from over forty years of experience that i am impressed with hammerite rust proofer or their paint.
Generally use POR 15 on chassis after treatment.

MicksRedNova
16-12-2014, 09:57 PM
http://www.navysteel-rust-converter.co.uk/faqs.htm

Just found a link to the stuff I used, although in military use it just had a number rather than a name.

Mick

wizrod
20-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Sounds as if Hammerite 'Krust' is basically the same stuff...? pale brown...paint it on & it goes blue...rust goes black...from Haldords, etc...

MicksRedNova
20-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Sounds as if Hammerite 'Krust' is basically the same stuff...? pale brown...paint it on & it goes blue...rust goes black...from Haldords, etc...
Kurust (although Krust sounds more unique) does sound like the same stuff. :thumbup:

Mik

Gmacz
20-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Rust Remedy is what Wheeler Dealers use.