PDA

View Full Version : PPC project Nova

Kevleaper
09-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Hi
Just wanted to say hello as I've been lurking looking at posts and thought I should post up my build. It's an ex forum member's car, Mk2 I think, and will hopefully be finished this year. It's going to be slightly different (aren't they all) with a Subaru flat six engine and Subaru box hanging out the back. Apart from that I want it to look very clean and simple as I really like the original lines. I work on a car magazine (Practical Performance Car) so it'll be covered in that but I'll try and post pics up here as well, as the car progresses. 1149

edmorton
09-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi Kev- welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your build in PPC, which is an excellent read, by the way.

Hopefully can make it two Novas that get finished this year....!

Ed.

Kevleaper
09-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Thanks Ed
Cheque's in the post. Is there a link to your build anywhere? I'm not that great at navigating forums.

Kev

Spacenut
09-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Hello Kev - welcome to the forum!

By the looks of things you have a Mk1 Nova; the canopy roofline, doweled canopy and bodyshell (an attempt to keep things ship-shape with the original manual actuation), twin-pod dashboard and bonnet with nostrils are all good indicators.

Are you planning to mid-mount the engine, or will you be reversing the differential on the Scooby 'box and running it backwards? Both options sound like an interesting engineering challenge! Good luck with your build.

Lauren

Mostin
09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Hello Kev.

Welcome to the form.

Good to see a new member & good to see an old forum car staying on this site.

Build sounds good plus your mag will give the Nova some good exposure to the wider public.

Have fun & enjoy.
Cheers.
Mostin.

Kevleaper
09-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Hi Lauren
I've a bill of sale that dates it around 1980 somewhere, which I thought would make it a Mk2, but I'm not that clued up on the Nova history to be sure. The engine is now sitting in the chassis with the Subaru box replacing the VW one (I've already reversed the gearbox drive internally). I'm probably going to brace the rear end along with the Beetle floorpan (which I've replaced) to stiffen it up, as there's a lot more weight hanging out the back now and I'm fairly confident it will wheelie if prodded.
Cheers
Kev

Spacenut
09-02-2015, 10:08 PM
There's a lot more weight hanging out the back now and I'm fairly confident it will wheelie if prodded.

I'm sure it will! Need to keep the spare wheel in the nose and no mistake - or better yet, fit the radiator in the nose. Reversing the nostrils is optional :D

1980 bill of sale would be consistent with an Elam Mk1 - the company would transition completely to the Mk2 in 1981. My own car dates from the same period. Somebody fitted glass side windows at some stage (date code on the glass suggests 1986), and like all Elam cars, the water resistance of the bonded windscreen leaves something to be desired!

It will be interesting to see how the six-pot Scooby engine fits. Flat-sixes have been fitted before, but mostly Porkers, and early ones at that (2.4 litre). I think our Aussie friends have some Scooby sixes fitted to their Eurekas though, so there are precedents.

Lauren

KEITHCANFIXIT
09-02-2015, 10:47 PM
Welcome Kev, interesting set of wheels and tyres, what neck of the woods are you from. Good luck with your build.

Keith.

Phill
10-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Welcome to the forum Kevin -good choice of project car - I'm looking forward to reading all about your build.

CyCo
10-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Welcome. Fitting a flat 6 with the scooby gearbox is certainly pushing the limits. Both in making it fit with the body potential power.

As far as I know, we don't have any 6 pot Eurekas at the moment. There were a couple running Porka engines, but I can only think of a couple 4 pot Porkas at the moment. And we did have a couple running the 6 pot Corvair engine & trans, but I don't know if any of them are on the road.

Your build should be interesting.

8]

Kevleaper
10-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I'm in Rutland, which means bugger all to most people, but think middle of the country (UK) and you wouldn't be far wrong.
Subaru flat six is a struggle in a Beetle (but achieved), but there's way more room in the back of a Nova. As for pushing the limits, yes I agree. But I'll try and document it accurately so people can decide if it's inspired, insane or impossible. Forum updates are a new concept to me so would it be best to keep them here or another area on the forum. I'm pretty geared up to get this car together so I'd like to get a channel for feedback/updates.

Mostin
10-02-2015, 09:11 PM
Rutland is not far from me. I sometimes nip to Lyndon Top in my camper for the odd weekend chill out.

Cheers.
Mostin.

Gmacz
10-02-2015, 09:35 PM
"Your cars" is where you need to be, start a new topic with a title of your choice.
Welcome to the forum, nice to see another nova build.
I am sure I saw an alfa with the same engine as you are using in the alfa forum, it was a decent read.
It was the 4cyl turbo ej20t that was fitted, just had a look.

MicksRedNova
10-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Forum updates are a new concept to me so would it be best to keep them here or another area on the forum. I'm pretty geared up to get this car together so I'd like to get a channel for feedback/updates.
Kevin
Suggest you start a thread in 'Your Cars' area, that's where most of the build stuff is recorded by the guys who use the forum. If you have any specific questions about items they can be posted in you're own area or the area for that item .e.g. Roof Hydraulics. Regular readers will get a latest news list so any questions don't wait long before someone answers.
If you want anything moved around from one thread to another then Dan the admin is your man, just PM him(bobbybrown). For instance you may want the initial stuff i posted about spotting your bit in PPC from the thread of 'Jim73 Does it again'.

Mick

Kevleaper
10-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Great thanks for your help. I'll start a post with some pics by the weekend in the new area you suggest.

Kevleaper
11-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Rutland is not far from me. I sometimes nip to Lyndon Top in my camper for the odd weekend chill out.

Mostin.
Hi Mostin
I've got to admit I don't know Lyndon Top by name, but having looked it up it's ten minutes from me. Saw your build thread, fabulous stuff. I'd love to see the car some time so if it's on the road in the summer...
Cheers.
Kev

Mostin
11-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Saw your build thread, fabulous stuff. I'd love to see the car some time so if it's on the road in the summer...
Cheers.
Kev

The push is on to get it on the road. But as with all these types of hobbies, its trying to keep things moving on while doing all of the other day to day stuff in life that gets in the way :cry::laugh:

Cheers.
Mostin