PDA

View Full Version : windscreen removal.

Mostin
15-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Hello all.

Its time to start thinking about the next job on the horizon. Which is sorting out the roof.

There are some repairs to do before repainting etc.

One of the first jobs to do will be to remove the screen.

The good news is it looks like the screen was fitted with some sort of glue that has started to fail in places.

As I've never removed a screen before are there any tips or pit falls to help when I come to take it out.

Cheers.
Mostin.

Gaisa
15-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Last time I had a screen replaced, it was glued in place with a black silicone like substance (not sure what it was exactly) the screen fitters used what I can only call a "hot knife" to cut the rubber for most of it, then a serrated knife for the less accessible parts. I imagine you wish to keep said screen, so you need to be careful when doing this, and use glass lifters (giant suction cups with handles, very useful!) to move the screen. The last bit is what "I" would do, and that is set the glass down carefully on a padded surface that could potentially reshape to suit the screen. I did that with my old bug years ago, and used a bean bag :bleh:

On a second note, the Nova screen is large, so you will probably need a second person to help, and use two pairs of screen lifters to try and maintain the integrity of the screen, as you probably know, glass doesn't like to bend and if its safety glass, failure can be spectacular, and noisy!

Mostin
15-02-2015, 06:31 PM
My screen only seems to have black silicon type sealant around the edge of the glass to fill the gap.

The glue that holds the screen in is semi translucent & looks like it has started to lift in places.

And yes I want to keep the screen to put it back in after I've done the work.

KEITHCANFIXIT
15-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Very ,very brave man,firstly clear the area around you,acquire an assistant you can trust, obtain four glass suction cups for lifting and a suitable mouldable area such as a bean bag mentioned earlier to support glass once out, thoughly degrease face of screen before attaching suction cups.
From what you have described it sounds like someone has used a translucent silicone to bond screen in and given that most silicone sealants on the market can contain up to 40% chalk as a filler it breaks down over time and delaminates.Now go into your local pound store and buy a pack or two of their snap off blade craft knives, normally five in a pack for believe or not a pound, the reason you are using these is to extend the blade 40 to 50mm beyond the handle, they flex slightly which allows you to push blade down into the adhesive from the inside and outside as you see fit to cut seal carefully, avoid contact with edge of glass if at all possible as this causes chips and cracks in the glass, remember the older the glass the more fragile it is.
You can buy glass fitter/remover tools on fleabay but these are designed for metal rather than fibreglass screen surrounds and generally damage the glass edge as nearly all screens removed are trashed.
I prefer to cut from the inside rather than out using the flat of the screen to guide the blade down into the adhesive,if you find it hard going move onto another area and continue until all is released,do not use to much pressure,use several scoring cuts in an area rather than trying to force blade deep down into adhesive. You could try using a silicon adhesive remover in a cartridge gun to soft the adhesive again from inside, this eats into the silicone to soften and aid removal.
Once removed all around gently lift by all four screen cups and lay on beanbag,put the screen cups on before releasing screen adhesive because if you try and fit after release to much force on screen could flex it and crack it after all your hard work, remember some screen are only 4mm thick

KEITHCANFIXIT
15-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Once released, with your assistant lift gently and evenly lay screen down on beanbag moulding beanbag to shape of screen,if not supported across whole screen it can over a period of time deform under its own weight, believe me don't ask me how I know:facepalm:. If it is likely to be a long time before reinstalling get yourself some foam plumber pipe lagging to cover the edge of the screen all around, the thicker the better, it is normally precut on one side making it easy to slide over edge and hold in place with masking tape then store upright somewhere that nobody will go to /passby etc. etc.
when reinstalling seal in with sikaflex or equivelent .

GOOD LUCK and remember set aside several hours to do with no interruptions for any reason and turn off your mobile.

KEITHCANFIXIT
15-02-2015, 08:31 PM
One last thing, the glass is laminated for a front screen so will not shatter like safety/toughened glass ,it will just crack and craze as the plastic between inner and outer glass holds everthing together, safety glass is only used on side and rear windows in this country

Gaisa
16-02-2015, 12:07 AM
One last thing, the glass is laminated for a front screen so will not shatter like safety/toughened glass ,it will just crack and craze as the plastic between inner and outer glass holds everthing together, safety glass is only used on side and rear windows in this country

That's true, I DID say it would be spectacular and noisy, but didn't say it would shatter into loads of tiny bits. I've worked with laminated glass before, both in building work and on replacing a couple of windscreens, when they fail, they sounded like a gunshot, and the next thing we knew, we had "blankets" made of glass fragments.

CyCo
16-02-2015, 01:39 AM
One tip. When you're using a blade for removing the silicone/sikaflex around the windscreen, use a little bit of vegetable oil on the blade. This will help lessen the resistance of cutting through the silicone and thus the force you need to use.

letterman7
16-02-2015, 02:11 AM
Here you go, almost a step by step: http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/builders-journals-see-our-projects/507-sterling-100aa-12.html

I was able to remove the glass by myself as well. Awkward, but not hard (or necessarily heavy).

Cyco.. wish I knew about the veggy oil trick....

islandman
16-02-2015, 04:58 AM
Mine was successfully removed by the professionals using wire, although not piano wire. It was a square wire which I had never seen before. Each edge of the square was razor sharp and made light work of cutting through the sealant. They did however do this very slowly all the time using a screw driver with a V-Shape in the end to guide the wire and stop the edge touching the screen and fibreglass.

So it can be done, but as every one has said....Good Luck! I did this task fully expecting I would end up cracking the screen.

Peter
16-02-2015, 07:39 AM
A job I know I have to do, or have done, as my sealant is only 'black' as in contacting the glass, in about 20% of the area. not looking forwards to it at all. :scared:

CyCo
16-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Here you go, almost a step by step: http://www.sterlingkitcars.com/members_n_forums/builders-journals-see-our-projects/507-sterling-100aa-12.html

I was able to remove the glass by myself as well. Awkward, but not hard (or necessarily heavy).

Cyco.. wish I knew about the veggy oil trick....

Only found out myself a few months ago, and decided that the silicone/sikaflex on my windscreen was very deteriorated and needed replacing. I should note I only replaced that around the edges, not fully remove/replace the windscreen. I had done maybe 1/5th of the windscreen when a mate in the club happen to ring me as I was removing the gunk, and suggested the vegie oil. Worked like magic. :wink:

CyCo
16-02-2015, 12:00 PM
A job I know I have to do, or have done, as my sealant is only 'black' as in contacting the glass, in about 20% of the area. not looking forwards to it at all. :scared:

If you just plan on replacing the stuff surrounding the windscreen, I used a safety knife (and the vegie oil trick) and a fine screwdriver with a blade only about 3 or 4 mm across. If you plan on a complete windscreen removal....good luck!

KEITHCANFIXIT
16-02-2015, 12:47 PM
Cutting wire is available on ebay, trouble is it will cut through fibreglass as well if you get it wrong

Mostin
16-02-2015, 04:36 PM
This is starting to sound like fun......

If i could get away with not taking the screen out i would but as the silicon glue has come away from the glass / body in places it would just look crap.

I've got a bit of time before i start the roof but im starting to think i may start off with doing as much of the repair work with the windscreen in place. This would mean the glass only would need to be out for as short a time as possilbe.

If the screen cracks then it's time for a new one but i'm up for giving it ago when it comes to it.

I've asked a windscreen company for a price to take it out but knowone seems to be intrested in getting back. I wonder why lol.

When it comes to doing it, I'll post the out come! Good or Bad.

Cheers.
Mostin

KEITHCANFIXIT
16-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tip on veggie oil Cyco, brilliant and so simple:bananasplit:

KEITHCANFIXIT
16-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Someone like Autoglass will try and remove for you, but if it breaks its down to you, as I have said previously the glass becomes more brittle the longer it has been in place, I personally would try and remove it myself rather than some pro who really at the end of the day is not worried if it breaks or not as you will still have to pay his Company, no offense to any glass companies intended but because its yours you will naturally take far more care.

Gaisa
16-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Someone like Autoglass will try and remove for you, but if it breaks its down to you, ... <snip> ... but because its yours you will naturally take far more care.

sad, but true

Peter
17-02-2015, 09:09 AM
As we say, poco a poco, little by little, do it slow and take your time but have 400 quid standing by.

Mostin
17-02-2015, 05:06 PM
but have 400 quid standing by.

LOL.

When i come round to doing it. I'll put the 400 Quid in a Jar next to me in the shed as an incentive. Plus place all hammers outside for if it goes wrong :cursing:

Cheers.
Mostin.

bushboy
17-02-2015, 09:59 PM
I tried to remove the Eureka Windscreen when I first got the thing back in Australia.
I didn't take my time, and really didn't have a clue what I was doing. Tried to leaver a corner slightly when I thought I had it all cut, CRACK.

Word of advice, dont be tempted to lever it out,
When you think it is ready to come out, goaround it again, and then once more just for good measure & then push it from the inside, over as wide an area as you can.

Good Luck

bushboy