PDA

View Full Version : sunroof

Mostin
02-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Hello all.

One of the jobs I've got to sort out while working on the roof is the sunroof, which is damaged.

Is there a standard sunroof that comes from another car thats transplanted into the nova or is it just an aftermarket one?

The reason I'm asking is all of the aftermarket ones seem to need a bigger hole cutting out than the hole I already have. Which will mean the frame could start to flex as its screwed down around parts of the roof.

Cheers.
Mostin.

Spacenut
02-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Hi Mostin - I believe all of the glass sunroofs supplied with Nova kits were aftermarket items, but there was considerable variation in sizes through production - Elam Mk1 cars were the first to offer a glass sunroof (as opposed to the removable sunroof panel originally offered by ADD) and it was mahoosive, running almost to the edges of the canopy on each side. This was what was originally fitted to my car, before I had the hole glassed over. Surprisingly, I later found that this type of sunroof comes up on ebay quite often, although I wasn't keen to reinstate it, the aluminium surround and rubber seals could hardly be called low-profile...

Anyway, the Mk2 was offered with a much smaller sunroof, although still a standard aftermarket product. I know it was smaller because I ordered one from Graham Slayford to replace my broken original - the new sunroof, complete with surround, simply dropped through the hole in the canopy!

Whether this smaller type sunroof is still available is open to question however. What type of damage has your current installation sustained? Could it be repaired?

Lauren

essexdave
03-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Did you really need to mention that name Lauren........ got my nervous twitch back again .......:shock:
Sorry Mostin...... back to topic now

Gmacz
03-04-2015, 10:40 AM
"the new sunroof, complete with surround, simply dropped through the hole in the canopy!"

You made the hole too big. :bleh:
Back on topic again, wait a minute, it is on topic.:thumbup:
I would just add to what Lauren said, get a sunroof with a decent seal and not a crappy stick on foam rubber seal unless you like a wet arse.:nonono:

MicksRedNova
03-04-2015, 11:19 AM
At last year's Castle Combe Classic & Sports day I was discussing my leaky sunroof and its need for a new rubber with a classic car owner and he thought my sunroof was a Rover part fitted to Minis in the 80's (mines a Mk2). I found this useful PDF file detailing lots of Mini related spares and the 'glass, manual tilt' sunroof looks exactly like mine.

www.minispeed.com/download/Karosserie-Anbauteile%202.pdf (http://www.minispeed.com/download/Karosserie-Anbauteile%202.pdf)

Mick

Mostin
03-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the input.

The sunroof has been removed while I sort the roof out.

Mick I was sort of thinking down the Mimi line. Thanks for the link.

Lauren that would go some way to explaining why I can't seem to drop on a small atermarket sunroof. The problem I have is all of the plastic clips etc. have all broken down with age. So I could refurbish it but to try to save sometime (to try to get this car on the road) I was looking to just drop a new one in.

Could be time to look out for some parts.

Cheers.
Mostin.

PaddyX21
11-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Mine is a Peugeot unit, looks like it may have come from a 405 or similar.
Next time I'm in the workshop I'll try and see if it has any part numbers, and dimensions if it's still of use to you?