PDA

View Full Version : Flocking.

Mostin
18-05-2015, 03:41 PM
I've started this thread to help people looking at flocking parts of their car.

I'm a beginner myself so I don't claim to be an expert. Any input could help me as well as others.

In my car build pages you can see that I've flocked my dash in black. My main body tub is flocked in a light grey. As well as the roof.

The roof was done instead of trying to glue in a roof lining.

I was going to get it done by a pro & was quoted around 110 for the dash plus post etc. Which will give you some idea of costing out anything your thinking about getting a flock finish done for you.

The equipment I settled on was this one http://www.flocking.biz/flock_microflocker/MKII_Microflocker_Kit.jpg At the time the company had an offer on so I got it as a complete kit with 2 pack adhesive, thinners, pot of pigment & 1.0mm - 3.3 decitex flock. I added to this later with more adhesive & flock colours.

There are cheaper battery flocking kits on the market but these are more for model making detailing like grass on a model railway. I don't know if they're any good because I've not used one but from what I've read there aren't really the best things to use for anything other than model making & T-shirt printing.

As for the kits that have a plastic puffer pot to just blow the flock on are not even worth looking at.

I think there's also a kit from the USA that blows a pre filled pot with an airline connected.

Flocking is easy to do but be warned its a one shot application. If your not happy with the finish or you have thin areas when its dry you can't just go over it again. I did my dash twice because the first time I put the adhesive on with a paint brush & it looked a bit pants. To get it off I had to use 80 git sandpaper. Its tuff stuff so this takes a bit of time.

The 2nd time I applied the adhesive with a spray gun. You will need to thin the adhesive down to get it to come out of the gun. You want it as thick as you can to get a good thick coat without it running so if its too thin the coat will also be too thin & could run & the flock won't stick in to it deep enough.

You add pigment to the adhesive to match the colour of your flock. That way if you get an area that's a bit thin on flock the base colour of your work won't bleed throw.

You get about 30 to 40 mins of working time to get your flock on. You need to cover your part with flock before its "skins"

The adhesive is conductive. When you've coated your work you then attach a negative wire to it. This needs to be clipped into the adhesive. The applicator has a positive charged plate in the bottom of the cup.

Fill the cup 3/4 full of your flock then switch on. Shake the applicator around 6 inch away from your work. The flock just fires out on to your work like small darts which stick into the adhesive.

You want about 10% of the fibre length to go into the adhesive. How you measure that god knows but that's why you want to get a good coating of adhesive down.

When you have covered your job go over it again with the flock. You can't over flock. What your trying to do is make sure there are no areas that have a thin covering of flock which will make it look patchy when its dry.

Feel free to ask or just PM me if I can help.

Happy flocking :afro:
:cheers:
Mostin.

Dirk
18-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Hi Mostin

Was it just a standard paint spray gun that you used? what sort of pressure did you need feeding the gun?

Dirk

islandman
19-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks Mostin, very helpful and well described

Mostin
19-05-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi Mostin

Was it just a standard paint spray gun that you used? what sort of pressure did you need feeding the gun?

Dirk

I uses a HVLP spray gun at around 45psi. It has a 2mm outlet. I had one in the shed at the time so that's what I used.

Cheers.
Mostin.

dmcdec
30-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Good to hear, my canopy and dash were flocked. It is damn hard stuff to remove.
The canopy needs redoing, I'd be willing to give it a go. Is the kit expensive? I did find a guy who does it but he's a bit far away.

Mostin
30-06-2015, 02:55 PM
I had to reflock my dash & yes your right it takes some getting off. I used 80 grit.

I bought my kit as the company was running an offer on it. When I was looking around some kits had an assking price of around 500. I bought the next level up for around 650. That was resin & flock etc all in.

They sometimes come up on ebay.