PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen " Frit"

Buffy
16-06-2015, 05:46 PM
In typical fashion on working on my Nova I thought I would just have a look at the windsreen which I knew was only just stuck in, probably about 20% was stuck to the roof. It was a job that is not on the current list of things to do, but you know how it is..........

Reading others posts, and with a scalpel and stanley knife, the screen came out in one piece after about 10 minutes of fettling. What I found though was that the black border around the screen just fell off ! Or should I say just peeled off. It was like a rubberised tape.

Now I have a clear edged windscreen which in the long term I do not want and I want to hide the bond when the screen goes back in.

Do all screens have a black border, or do some of you have clear edges ? If clear what have you done to hide the bond?

I have been trying to research for a product which you could " paint on" to create a border but not having much luck.

Has anyone had a similar situation ?

Mark

Spacenut
16-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Unless you have one of my banded screens, they all come like that. The rubberised paint is the bonded screen primer that is used to promote adhesion.

Lauren

Buffy
16-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the comment.

The primer, as you say, and I can only assume, must have been applied with masked lines around the complete edge of the windscreen. It was a good 2cm wide around the complete screen bar the corners and even then had perfectly straight edges.

Does everyone mask this area of the screen when putting it back in then ?

Spacenut
16-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Hi Buffy - I know that the professional windscreen fitters do this, you are supposed to prime both the screen and the mounting flange prior to bonding the screen in place. I've read that the PU adhesive I buy from CBS can be thinned down for this purpose, although I don't know how effective it is compared to the pro stuff.

My old screen was masked off with what can only be described as blackboard paint - it peeled off in sheets, and the screen is still in place!

Lauren

steve_d
16-06-2015, 08:12 PM
A screen fitter will apply the primer by hand in one fluid motion. Quite an art.
The primer is applied with these.
The technique is to just guide the applicator with your finger against the edge of the screen which is why they stand the screen on trestles to prepare it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/QG4AAOxyA4ZRNgBJ/$T2eC16d,%21yEE9s5jGKu7BRNgBJUBm%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG ?set_id=8800005007

Buffy
16-06-2015, 08:28 PM
A screen fitter will apply the primer by hand in one fluid motion. Quite an art.
The primer is applied with these.
The technique is to just guide the applicator with your finger against the edge of the screen which is why they stand the screen on trestles to prepare it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/QG4AAOxyA4ZRNgBJ/$T2eC16d,%21yEE9s5jGKu7BRNgBJUBm%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG ?set_id=8800005007

It sounds like a job for a professional to put it back in then. Although I could practise on an old piece of perspex and see what that comes out like.

I dont think I have that much of a steady hand though !

Thanks for the advice

Buffy
16-06-2015, 09:16 PM
I am now asking myself another question.

If a windscreen fitter uses this process for the windscreen, what does everyone use to stick in their perspex side windows, or more importantly creating the black border on the side windows?

I just want a perfect uniform border on all glass for a professional finish.

steve_d
16-06-2015, 10:27 PM
It's the same process but the primer is a different chemical mix for use on plastic.

It would be well worth having them all fitted. Don't go to the mainstream guys as even though the fitters themselves may well be very good they are not allowed the time to deal with something a bit different. Find a small independent guy and have chat about it. I'm betting you will find someone prepared to go the extra mile.

As you guys know building and restoring cars is what we do but we would still get our local screen fitter in for these jobs they just make sense. If I did the job it would take twice or 3 times as long which then has to be charged to the customer.

Steve

islandman
17-06-2015, 04:23 AM
Mark,
I would agree with the others, get the professionals to fit it. They use a special etching primer and will if yours doesn’t have the obscuration band primed using etching primer it so it looks like it has one. You should also enquire what seals they have also, as you can see from my post (link below) I got lucky and the seal provides a nice finish to the edge rather than just the smoothed sealant that it had before.

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?2963-1st-Nova-amp-the-unregistered-one&p=110522&viewfull=1#post110522

I did however do my front side light glass obscuration banding myself, using tape and some etching primer the windscreen guys gave me. It dries incredibly quickly and can easily create a banding around the edge. I still got them to bond these in also as it was done at the same time as my windscreen.

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?2963-1st-Nova-amp-the-unregistered-one&p=110523&viewfull=1#post110523

My front glass side windows were done by myself using the etching primer and Sikaflex 221 to bond the glass in, but it’s a very messy job and easy to screw up.

And I couldn’t agree more with Steve, find a small windscreen shop not a big chain, the one I used was a small family run business and they couldn’t have been more helpful.

CyCo
17-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Probably also worth noting you shouldn't just slap on some black paint as a 'border' on your windscreen then fit it with Sikaflex (or your choice of poison). There's a good chance that with bond will be mostly with the paint rather than your windscreen..... not a good idea.

Buffy
17-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Probably also worth noting you shouldn't just slap on some black paint as a 'border' on your windscreen then fit it with Sikaflex (or your choice of poison). There's a good chance that with bond will be mostly with the paint rather than your windscreen..... not a good idea.

I have seen that happen before. Not very nice and rather expensive to fix afterwards.

Thanks for all your comments. It has made me look locally for windcreen fitters on the internet, and amazingly found one 5 mins from where I live !!!

Will go and have a chat with them.

Spacenut
17-06-2015, 07:41 PM

Yes, there's no doubt that is what happened in my case - the windscreen has de-bonded from the paint, which stayed attached to the canopy!

Regarding side windows (and also standard headlamp covers), Plastics 4 Performance did the windows on Jim's Nena from a supplied pattern, and are available in clear or tinted polycarbonate with obscuration banding applied (although I think this takes the form of a satin-black tape applied to the outside of the window - but still looks good). I'm pretty sure P4P also supplied the side windows for Alwyn's "Red Peril" (now distinctly green), but be warned, as far as I know P4P only have the pattern for the Mk1 Nova, you would have to supply them with a new pattern if you have a Mk2.

Lauren

Buffy
17-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Yes, there's no doubt that is what happened in my case - the windscreen has de-bonded from the paint, which stayed attached to the canopy!

Regarding side windows (and also standard headlamp covers), Plastics 4 Performance did the windows on Jim's Nena from a supplied pattern, and are available in clear or tinted polycarbonate with obscuration banding applied (although I think this takes the form of a satin-black tape applied to the outside of the window - but still looks good). I'm pretty sure P4P also supplied the side windows for Alwyn's "Red Peril" (now distinctly green), but be warned, as far as I know P4P only have the pattern for the Mk1 Nova, you would have to supply them with a new pattern if you have a Mk2.

Lauren

Thanks Lauren

Just looked at their website. I would be looking for side windows with a slider kit fitted ( I know some people dont like these ) but its useful to get it all done in one place.

I have the Mk4 so would probably have to send them a pattern. When ready will give them a ring to discuss.

MartinB
18-06-2015, 06:35 AM

Rather than use a 'paint', is it not possible to thin the sikaflex (or whatever) with solvent and paint that on, such that the band and the bonding material are the same? I vaguely remember doing my side windows like that the first time the car was on the road... (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...)

Alzax3
18-06-2015, 06:37 AM
Yes, all the Marks have different side windows - not by much, but enough!

Spacenut
18-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Rather than use a 'paint', is it not possible to thin the sikaflex (or whatever) with solvent and paint that on, such that the band and the bonding material are the same? I vaguely remember doing my side windows like that the first time the car was on the road... (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away...)

Yes, this is what CBS say you can do with their PU adhesive.

suicidesam
19-06-2015, 07:06 AM
I think when the time comes i will be trying the Everbuild mbond 395 on my side windows . I like the fact that its a marine grade adhesive and from their info it states " Offers outstanding initial grab and anti-vibration bonding and bedding properties " all the things needed for a screen/window ?
i think i will get a sample from the Everbuild rep we use at work and have a play with it :wink:

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/mBOND395